The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Great coach comment - not kidding

Last night, I was at my granddaughter's soccer game and I heard one of the greatest coach comments ever from the opposing coach. With his team trailing 3-0 about halfway through the second half, there was an incident near the sideline in which two girls (this is 5th grade) bumped shoulders while going for the ball and the girl on his team fell. A parent, probably her dad, yelled at the referee (who was about 15 years old), "Why don't you blow your whistle? That's what it's there for."

The coach immediately turned around and went right up to the guy, got in his face and said, "We don't do that on this team. You NEVER yell at an official. He's just a kid and he's trying his best. We're trying to teach our girls sportsmanship first of all and if you can't do that, you can go home and not come back for the rest of the season."

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. After the game, I approached that coach, introduced myself as a basketball official and told him how much I appreciated his comments and attitude. He told me he also coaches his daughter's basketball and softball teams and he has zero tolerance for parents who yell at officials. I told him he could coach a team in my games anytime. We shook hands and I told him that even though my granddaughter's team won the game, his girls played hard and fair. He said that's the idea at this level.

I wish I could take the guy out and have him bronzed.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Where is a recorder when you need one; or is it video cameras these days. That could be a great training tape.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Naw, couldn't have happened. You must've had an adverse reaction to one of your meds. Maybe you were dreaming while you were reading a fairy tale to your granddaughter?

(If it really did happen, kudos to the coach. Try to talk him into becoming the league commisioner.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
We shook hands and I told him that even though my granddaughter's team won the game, his girls played hard and fair. He said that's the idea at this level.
Disagree, this should be the idea at all levels. Play hard, give it your all. I don't think what I'm about to say is is emphasized enough from coaches at all levels. You can still win but lose the game. How? If you know you gave it your best, you left it all out there on the floor, then you succeeded in your goals as a player. You are a winner even though you lost the game. I once went 10 for 10 from the field in a playoff game, my goal was to be consistent. We lost the game but I accomplished my goals and I left a winner, even though we lost. I was very happy and satisfied with the way I played. Now that I set this goal, if I went 7 for 10 the next time out, then I know I didn't prepare and play as well as I could have. That's on me, got nothing to do with the opposition or the officials. Maybe the Chargers need to consider this as well.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 12:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I once went 10 for 10 from the field in a playoff game, my goal was to be consistent. if I went 7 for 10 the next time out, then I know I didn't prepare and play as well as I could have.

Three words. Shoulda shot more.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Disagree, this should be the idea at all levels. Play hard, give it your all. I don't think what I'm about to say is is emphasized enough from coaches at all levels. You can still win but lose the game. How? If you know you gave it your best, you left it all out there on the floor, then you succeeded in your goals as a player. You are a winner even though you lost the game. I once went 10 for 10 from the field in a playoff game, my goal was to be consistent. We lost the game but I accomplished my goals and I left a winner, even though we lost. I was very happy and satisfied with the way I played. Now that I set this goal, if I went 7 for 10 the next time out, then I know I didn't prepare and play as well as I could have. That's on me, got nothing to do with the opposition or the officials. Maybe the Chargers need to consider this as well.
Mildly disagree only to the point that putting achieving your own goals above the team's goals is not the way to play. Sometimes you sacrifice your stats to help the team. That's why it's called a team sport. I do understand what you're saying however, as to making winning not the only thing.

I wish pro athletes would remember they're in the entertainment business and their #1 priority is to entertain their customers - the fans.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 05:01pm

Quote:
Mildly disagree only to the point that putting achieving your own goals above the team's goals is not the way to play. Sometimes you sacrifice your stats to help the team. That's why it's called a team sport. I do understand what you're saying however, as to making winning not the only thing.

I wish pro athletes would remember they're in the entertainment business and their #1 priority is to entertain their customers - the fans.
Good point about the Pro's, but I think the media coverage that comes alone with the money has a tendency to ruin the athlete's prospective.

My goal as a player did not compromise the team objective. I did not turn the ball over, make an errant pass, etc. I also (team prospective) did not try to play outside of my ability. JAR says I should have shot more, maybe we would have won but that was not my role on the team. Maybe my team should have done a better job of coming to me because I was shooting so well, but i do not fault them one bit for that. I left the game feeling very good about myself which is also what I try to teach. If you can do this, then the game is fun to play. It's those people that have to win at all costs that ruin the game. If you play good and the other team outplays you. Hey, pad them on the back, buy em a beer, they deserved it. That's what it all about or what it should be all about.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 05:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
If you play good and the other team outplays you. Hey, pad them on the back, buy em a beer
I'll suggest this to the girls on the teams that lose to my granddaughter's fifth grade team.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 07:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If you had the guy bronzed then he couldn't teach any more fathers about sportsmanship. Just a thought.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night, I was...

I wish I could take the guy out and have him bronzed.
It's a shame we can't clone him.
barryb