The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Palming, POE

After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming. I understand their point regarding the ball coming to rest at anypoint in the dribble. But I am having a hard time picturing how that can happen with the palm facing downward. I realize you have the potential when the dribbler changes directions and pulls the ball across or perhaps a behind the back move that may cause the ball to rest in the hand extendedly. In these cases the palm is usually on the side of the ball. Can someone state a situation where the palm is facing downward and you would call palming? I do not consider a high dribble to be such a case. Perhaps I am just picking on the wording? thanks
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming. I understand their point regarding the ball coming to rest at anypoint in the dribble. But I am having a hard time picturing how that can happen with the palm facing downward. I realize you have the potential when the dribbler changes directions and pulls the ball across or perhaps a behind the back move that may cause the ball to rest in the hand extendedly. In these cases the palm is usually on the side of the ball. Can someone state a situation where the palm is facing downward and you would call palming? I do not consider a high dribble to be such a case. Perhaps I am just picking on the wording? thanks
Splute,
Picture yourself dribbling a child's small basketball.
Now, picture yourself with very large hands and a regulation basketball.
Does that help?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming.
The move where the dribbler grabs the ball (palms it) at the top of his dribble, holds it and hesitates before continuing the dribble.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

aaahhhh, that never crossed my mind. thanks guys!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Splute, what word did you use in the title of this thread? Have you ever seen a good player be able to hold the ball with one hand, even when the hand is on top of the ball, facing downward? That, to me, is the essence of palming. There are many players using that skill to re-direct a dribble, where some of us need to put our hand under the ball to accomplish the same thing. It's harder to watch for, especially if you are used to just watching where the hands is on the ball, rather than what is being done with the ball.

I'm guessing this is more of an issue in the higher levels, and not with grade school or most JV ball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Or, what mick said.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the detail explanation M&M. My simple mind had never considered someone being able to do that while dribbling. I see it during dunks, but never have noticed in dribbles. I think you nailed it when you state we have watched for placement of hands on the ball. I knew I had to be missing something for them to write a POE.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Do they define "come to rest" anywhere? Technically, I suspect the ball always comes to rest on any dribble, but I didn't take physics, so I could be wrong here.

Do we count seconds, or is this "I know it when I see it"?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Do they define "come to rest" anywhere? Technically, I suspect the ball always comes to rest on any dribble, but I didn't take physics, so I could be wrong here.

You are not wrong for the exact reason that you're thinking.

Yes, you'll know it when you see it. Just like a crackback block for you football guys.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I guess the *up-down* may stop, but I doubt that the lateral movement "always" stops.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The velocity will often reach zero at the apex of a dribble, but it is instantaneous and we ignore it as long as the ball is being accelerated.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
The velocity will often reach zero at the apex of a dribble, but it is instantaneous and we ignore it as long as the ball is being accelerated.
There's our physics man!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
To Mick's point...vertical velocity will *always* be zero at the dribble apex instantaneously. It is rarely zero in the horizontal dimension.

Just sayin'
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

What about when a dribbler does a 360 degree spin move and continues his/her dribble? Would this be something we should call as palming?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 07:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
What about when a dribbler does a 360 degree spin move and continues his/her dribble? Would this be something we should call as palming?
Only if the ball comes to rest during the spin move. Palming was, is, and always will be a straight judgment call. If the ball comes to rest, that ends the dribble. If the player dribbles again, that's an illegal second dribble. The official on the spot has to make that decision.