View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
Rule 2.3 states that the referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules. Has anyone applied this rule in a game or can you think of any good hypothetical examples. I'm leading a rules study session tomorrow and could really use a couple of good examples.
Wanja,
One of the simplest examples that I can think of would be what happens if the ball were to burst or become deflated during play. To my knowledge this situation is not detailed in the rules or the case book therefore, the referee would have to make a decision on how to handle it. Perhaps JR, MTD, or some other senior official may know of an NFHS ruling from years gone by on this, but I don't.

You could design a play in which during a try for goal the ball strikes the ring or backboard and bursts, but then falls through the basket. You could then ask questions such as: Should this goal count? At what point does the ball become dead? Let's say that no whistle was sounded until the ball struck the floor, but everyone in the gym could hear the ball pop upon striking the ring.

Have a good class.