Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:02pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48
I had a similar situation at camp this summer. A1 while making his throw in barely but clearly steps on the OOB line. There was no press or pressure being applied on the play, but I make the call. The observer asks why. I simply answered that it's a violation. He gave me his take which I don't remember 'cuz I simply nodded OK and let it go.
Was that at Verne's camp? If not, I had the same thing happen to a partner in a game that I worked. The clinicians reasoning was "don't go looking for stuff especially when there was no press in effect".
I thought the reasoning should've been because the player didn't cross the inside edge of the endline. But oh well, that's why they make the big bucks...
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I"ll call it if I see it, but I'm usually looking for contact on the floor, or thinking about the count, or checking the clock, or watching that sub that just walked to the table to be sure she stays there, or looking at the coach to see if he wants a TO or.... or.... or....
This is not an either/or situation. If I am the calling official I am going to watch the ball. If the ball ends up out of bounds, I have to now how it got there. The ball might touch another player before touching the line. You can watch both if you ask me. If you cannot watch both, you might be too close.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I"ll call it if I see it, but I'm usually looking for contact on the floor, or thinking about the count, or checking the clock, or watching that sub that just walked to the table to be sure she stays there, or looking at the coach to see if he wants a TO or.... or.... or....
Perhaps this explains why I have never seen this happen in any of my games. But I have not seen it in any game I have watched either.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The OOB line closest to the player standing OOB, is OOB.
Close. All of the OOB lines are themselves OOB; not just the one closest to the player inbounding the ball.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

OK, newbies, try this variation. A1 to inbound along the endline after a made basket by team B. He bounce passes to A2 who is also standing OOB along the same end line. The ball never touches inbounds. NF rules - legal or not?

Sorry - no help from Diebler.

Hey - I know he has nothing to do with this, but we haven't said his name in a long time and I thought he might be feeling neglected.

Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Perhaps this explains why I have never seen this happen in any of my games. But I have not seen it in any game I have watched either.
It doesn't happen much at all above the 6th grade level.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
OK, newbies, try this variation. A1 to inbound along the endline after a made basket by team B. He bounce passes to A2 who is also standing OOB along the same end line. The ball never touches inbounds. NF rules - legal or not?
Oh Oh Oh! I know!
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I assume this would be legal. since after a made basket have the entire baseline. and you are allowed to dribble the ball whether you have the baseline or not. I see no reason why this would be illegal. This is not an inbounds pass and therefore does not need to go directly onto the course (just like a dribble)

...I think...
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

sometimes I pretend like I can type fast, please ignore the myriad of errors in my previous post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Oh Oh Oh! I know!
Me too. But I had to call Deibler just to double-check.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef
I assume this would be legal. since after a made basket have the entire baseline. and you are allowed to dribble the ball whether you have the baseline or not. I see no reason why this would be illegal. This is not an inbounds pass and therefore does not need to go directly onto the course (just like a dribble)

...I think...
It is illegal so someone cannot just throw the ball of any out of bounds object and not violate. A dribble suggests that you are maintaining position. A pass means you are giving away person possession. Would you advocate a regular pass to hit anything as long as the person receiving is inbounds?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:44pm

Quote:
There was actually some talk about this not being called in the NCAA Final Four game. That Florida was not stepping OOB before inbounding the ball. They where moving so fast that I don't think they were getting their feet down before the release in. I believe this was the arguement.

So if you back the logic, don't look for trouble, I guess you don't have a call. However, if you are doing your job, you should be watching this. I am under the philosophy that college ball should be called correctly, so I would make the call, especially with a 10 or more point lead. Not that that has anything to do with it, but it makes the call go over a lot better while you're sending the message to get your feet down before the inbound.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

JRut,
are you referring to the original situation or the new one padgett posed? mine was the latter, this is a violation?
thanks for the clarification
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 04:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I forgot you are new. Veterans of this board usually do not pay that much attention to what Mark says.

I was responding to the original situation.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 05:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I forgot you are new. Veterans of this board usually do not pay that much attention to what Mark says.
It's a good thing you put that grinning face there, buddy. I was about to make a call to my buddy Ditka. You wouldn't want that.