The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

time out after made basket Question

What criteria should be used by a referee in determining wether or not to give a time out after a made basket? Team A shoots and makes a basket, Team B recovers the ball and is attempting to throw the ball in to start a break. Should the referee give the time out to the team A?
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd pen
What criteria should be used by a referee in determining wether or not to give a time out after a made basket? Team A shoots and makes a basket, Team B recovers the ball and is attempting to throw the ball in to start a break. Should the referee give the time out to the team A?
If the ball is at the disposal of Team B, then NO, do not grant the timeout. The one thing you have to get yourself out of trouble if you do blow the whistle, is telling the now irate Team B coach, that when the request was made, the ball was not yet at the disposal and you just couldn't crack ur whistle quick enough. Then get the hell away from him.

CLH
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
If the ball is at the disposal of Team B, then NO, do not grant the timeout. The one thing you have to get yourself out of trouble if you do blow the whistle, is telling the now irate Team B coach, that when the request was made, the ball was not yet at the disposal and you just couldn't crack ur whistle quick enough. Then get the hell away from him.

CLH
Exactly what I thought! And yes I am that irate coach/player. Just mens league, but this ref calls the timeout and stops our fast break. Then has the gaul to say that he can call the timeout at any time before the ball enters play again.
Always nice to be vindicated. Thanks
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
AHHHHH CRAP!!!!!!! I gave a coach some fuel to his argument. Noone will ever wanna work with me again! Very sneaky coach, well played sir....well played.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Exactly what I thought! And yes I am that irate coach/player. Just mens league, but this ref calls the timeout and stops our fast break. Then has the gaul to say that he can call the timeout at any time before the ball enters play again.
Always nice to be vindicated. Thanks
You'd better check with your ref about what rules they're using. If they say they're using NFHS or NCAA rules, then you're right about the play, but still wrong to argue with the ref. But it's still possible that they're using some other set of rules. The sets we discuss here the most are NFHS and NCAA.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This issue was addressed with great precision last season by the NFHS.

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 9: With less than one minute to play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Legal procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This issue was addressed with great precision last season by the NFHS.

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 9: With less than one minute to play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Legal procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.
Ok thats great! So again I was correct and the ref was not as our team had secured the ball and was attempting to inbound the ball. I had the ball in my hands and was OOB ready to make a throw in.
So I do not understand your post if you are suggesting something other than what was already stated.
BTW we do use NFHS rules.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

My post wasn't suggesting anything. It was simply informing you of precisely what the rule is.

Clearly you didn't know, and likely have never looked at a rule book, but as you had the sense to ask, I thought that I would help educate you.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My post wasn't suggesting anything. It was simply informing you of precisely what the rule is.

Clearly you didn't know, and likely have never looked at a rule book, but as you had the sense to ask, I thought that I would help educate you.
Well isnt that just indignant of you to say! Clearly I have read a rule book, and I did know, but at the time did not have my rule book sitting on the bench for easy reference. Also I asked as my rule book is an 05/06, rules change and I wanted to make sure by asking the question to current proffesionals.
I do appreciate the education, but do not appreciate the indignant comment, I have been curtious, maybe you should as well.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well isnt that just indignant of you to say! Clearly I have read a rule book, and I did know, but at the time did not have my rule book sitting on the bench for easy reference. Also I asked as my rule book is an 05/06, rules change and I wanted to make sure by asking the question to current proffesionals.
I do appreciate the education, but do not appreciate the indignant comment, I have been curtious, maybe you should as well.
You think that I was angry? Perhaps you are in need of a dictionary. If you had written ignorant, your sentence would have at least made sense.

Anyway, you certainly weren't courteous (which you can't even spell ), rather your posts have been haughty and self-conceited. It is obvious that all that you were concerned with was being told that you were right and that the referee in your rec league game was wrong. Well, guess what? I don't care.
I posted merely to inform and state the rule for someone who might come along and read this thread, not to stroke your ego or say who was right and who was not.
Furthermore, you asked what criteria should be used to determine when a time-out should no longer be granted to the scoring team by an official. My post gave the exact two (disposal and the five-second count having begun), which I highlighted in red. Prior to my post only disposal had been mentioned, yet you arrogantly dismissed the extra information contained therein as having already been stated, when really you simply failed to grasp the clearer answering of your original question due to your being overjoyed that a previous poster had written that you were right. You even referred to that as your vindication. The truth is that after hearing that you became uninterested in learning anything more. That is too bad because judging by what you have written in this thread, your education could use some furthering.

For example:
Quote:
What criteria should be used by a referee in determining wether or not to give a time out after a made basket?
There are two ways to spell that word depending upon the meaning required, yet you picked neither.

Quote:
Then has the gaul to say ...
Gaul is an ancient country of Western Europe. Gall means brazen boldness or audacity.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You think that I was angry? Perhaps you are in need of a dictionary. If you had written ignorant, your sentence would have at least made sense.

Anyway, you certainly weren't courteous (which you can't even spell ), rather your posts have been haughty and self-conceited. It is obvious that all that you were concerned with was being told that you were right and that the referee in your rec league game was wrong. Well, guess what? I don't care.
I posted merely to inform and state the rule for someone who might come along and read this thread, not to stroke your ego or say who was right and who was not.
Furthermore, you asked what criteria should be used to determine when a time-out should no longer be granted to the scoring team by an official. My post gave the exact two (disposal and the five-second count having begun), which I highlighted in red. Prior to my post only disposal had been mentioned, yet you arrogantly dismissed the extra information contained therein as having already been stated, when really you simply failed to grasp the clearer answering of your original question due to your being overjoyed that a previous poster had written that you were right. You even referred to that as your vindication. The truth is that after hearing that you became uninterested in learning anything more. That is too bad because judging by what you have written in this thread, your education could use some furthering.

For example:

There are two ways to spell that word depending upon the meaning required, yet you picked neither.

Gaul is an ancient country of Western Europe. Gall means brazen boldness or audacity.
You are an idiot.
As far as my spelling, well I guess you have me there, but you fail to mention that I had neither become irreverent or rude until your follow-up post which referred to my knowledge.
I am ever so fortunate that you are not located anywhere near me as I can tell by your attitude in these posts that you must have many issues that are far from being resolved.
Consider therapy for these issues.
Upon further reading of all posts previous to your own, the answers were direct and friendly, whereas your own was disgusting and debasing.
I really feel for anyone who has the unfortunate task of having to be anywhere near you at any given time.
Please do this thread a huge favor and just stay away from it in the future. Clear to me is that what you think of yourself is something that few others appreciate.
In closing, my question was answered effectively by your superior peers, and there will be no further need for you to reply.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 06:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You are an idiot.
True dat.

But he is an idiot savant.

Iow don't mind Doofus. He's a legend in his own mind.

Y'all come back.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.
In fact, todd pen was wrong. Although your team might have had the ball, it's unclear from your description whether the official had begun the five-second count.

Notice the conjunction: AND. Both of these conditions in the rule must be met before the throw-in has begun and it's too late to call a TO. Since the official called the TO, I would surmise that he had NOT begun the five-second count, in which case he would be following correct procedure.

Thanks for playing.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Off-topic question..but what is there about internet forums that causes people to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation? People generally don't address each other in this rude, aggressive way in person...sigh. Can't we all just get along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
True dat.

But he is an idiot savant.

Iow don't mind Doofus. He's a legend in his own mind.

Y'all come back.
Why don't you just STFU you ignorant irrelevant old fool.

(btw I agree with you, which doesn't make me ignorant or irrelevant or old)
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:53am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
In fact, todd pen was wrong.
That's kinda strong. We really don't have enough information from the description he gave to make that definitive statement.

FWIW, I think everyone's kinda piling on Todd Pen. He just asked for a rule clarification from an expert source. Maybe he wants to be a snot with the official that made the call, but I think he was pretty respectful here. Why the nastiness?