The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I was just curious your thoughts on this practice. I use it quite often for a trailing team if the game is close and they are trying to close the gap. I ask the coach if he would like me to grant a time out on a made basket. That way you don't lose time trying to recognize the time-out, or, in my case tonight in my high school game, you have a real soft spoken coach that can't get himself heard above the crowd noise.
It worked well for me tonight, and has other times before.....

...thoughts? Is there anything in the NF rulebook to address this practice? Just curious what you guys think...
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I don't But I usually look at the coach in cases where I think a TO would be appropriate. Actually, I'm pretty good at guessing when they want to burn one. Scary, huh?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

so do I, but tonight I saw the coach for team B talking to my co-official, but not visibly requesting a time-out. I told my co to tell the coach that if he wanted one, to show us with something we could see, because we had a big rival game and the crowd noise was deafening.

...both sides of the crowd were equally pissed off...I guess that means we were consistent
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
...both sides of the crowd were equally pissed off...I guess that means we were consistent
If you're pissing have of 'em off with every call, your doing a good job.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Better to just glance over at the coach, and be ready to acknowledge TO immediately. Accomplishes the same thing.

And what happens if the other coach expects the same thing but for some reason you get caught the next time down the court and can't do it? Gives him an excuse to howl.

I don't think we should be initiating any more conversation with the coaches than is absolutely necessary. Always be receptive and approachable, of course, but let them initiate.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

but I still don't see the problem in requesting that from the coach. If you do it quietly and in a one-on-one conversation you won't have any "eavesdroppers" to worry about, and if the other coach has a problem with it, just tell him that you would give him the same consideration if he were in the same shoes. I have used it quite a bit this year and NEVER have run into a problem yet....

....watch, now in my first playoff game some damn drama is going to come about from this..damn this board!! damn it straight to HELL!!

Just joshin guys, was really interested in what you thought!
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 05:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
I was just curious your thoughts on this practice. I use it quite often for a trailing team if the game is close and they are trying to close the gap. I ask the coach if he would like me to grant a time out on a made basket. That way you don't lose time trying to recognize the time-out, or, in my case tonight in my high school game, you have a real soft spoken coach that can't get himself heard above the crowd noise.
It worked well for me tonight, and has other times before.....

...thoughts? Is there anything in the NF rulebook to address this practice? Just curious what you guys think...
I think the same thing as Canuckrefguy. The FED rulebook covers it under rule 5-8-3-"Grants a player's/head coaches oral or visual request for a time-out". That's pretty specific as far as I'm concerned.You might be bending the rules to aid one coach,but,at the same time,you're screwing the other coach by illegally granting a TO when there has been no actual request made.You've just created an unfair advantage for the one team by not following the rule,as written.JMO.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Although it is not the worst action....

I would NOT recommend the "reminder" I-am-looking-for-you- to-request-a-TO chat.

I would recommend that you stress the need for a distintive visual request in your pre-game meeting with the coaches.

Granted, the majority of the games I work I can hear just about every word the coach speaks. However, I have had games which involved a soft-spoken coach and a loud crowd. In one case, the soft-spoken coach requested a TO, verbally only, and it was missed.

When she approached me about her frustration, I suggested that she add a visual cue to her request, such as a "T" or a closed fist. She responded "and I stood up too!" Unfortunately, she was standing at various times throughout the game.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
I will also ask the coach if he wants a TO on certain plays. It is done quietly with no big production. This is done only if I am standing by him/her. I will not go across the floor to ask or do anything else to draw attention to the conversation.

If the coach says he does want a timeout in that situation, as soon as the ball goes thru the hoop I grant it. He did make an oral request.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's a question I've always had on granting time outs. Some coaches hold up a fist, and expect me to call time out. I never grant that. I'm pretty sure it's not an NFHS mechanic to call time out. Is this a proper signal in NCAA or something? Heck, many teams have a play called "fist."
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
You might be bending the rules to aid one coach,but,at the same time,you're screwing the other coach by illegally granting a TO when there has been no actual request made.You've just created an unfair advantage for the one team by not following the rule,as written.JMO. [/B]

Thanks JR for beating me to the punch on this.

Jeremy - You should never put yourself into the game like this. You are opening yourself up for trouble if the other coach/AD wants to take it further. The clock is on the side of the leading team, as it should be, and you have just taken it away from them. Sorry if the coach is soft spoken but that is his problem not yours.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 10:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My first fist guy last night in a girls varsity game. Never saw it before, either, but I heard his oral request just the same.

The best signal for a coach is a T (or hands on the shoulders if they want a 30). Fist?

Rich
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 04:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had never seen the fist used as a signal for TO, or been instructed to accept it. A lot of teams, and I mean a lot, have a play that is signaled with the fist held up by the point guard.
Yet, my partner in a JH game Thursday instructed a player to use the fist rather than use both hands to call a TO while dribbling. His concern was that the dribble is interupted if both of the player's hands are busy, thus removing the possibility of a TO.
Seems to me the hand on the shoulders would be most appropriate with that concern, the coach can always overrule and request a full.

snaqs
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Yet, my partner in a JH game Thursday instructed a player to use the fist rather than use both hands to call a TO while dribbling. His concern was that the dribble is interupted if both of the player's hands are busy, thus removing the possibility of a TO.
snaqs
This is really picking nits.

Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
My first fist guy last night in a girls varsity game. Never saw it before, either, but I heard his oral request just the same.

The best signal for a coach is a T (or hands on the shoulders if they want a 30). Fist?

Rich
The problem with the fist is what happens if the other team has a play that is designated by a fist in the air? I can see it now, team B coach or point guard has his hand up in a fist calling a play and you call a TO. Had a game the other day and the coach knew just what to do, while standing he would give the 30 or the 60 second signal while verbally calling TO.

Use of the football T signal, not a good idea. There is a recent thread either here or on the other board where a disgruntled coach want a technical on an opposing player and got a TO instead.