The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Rule Question

B1 pushes A1 into A2 as A2 is in his habitual shooting motion, but has not yet released the ball. Does the foul make the ball dead immediately and therefore, no shot; or since A2 started his shooting motion, do we count the bucket and assess the foul? Is the answer different if A2 had released the ball?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Continuous motion applies to any opponent fouling the team in possession of the ball. So yes you allow the shot to be completed and you award points accordingly.

If the ball is released you are not going to not allow the shot to be completed. The ball is not dead because of a foul after a released try. This applies even if A4 commits a foul.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Continuous motion applies to any opponent fouling the team in possession of the ball. So yes you allow the shot to be completed and you award points accordingly.

If the ball is released you are not going to not allow the shot to be completed. The ball is not dead because of a foul after a released try. This applies even if A4 commits a foul.

Peace
Thanks.

This play can be seen on a front page ESPN.com video story on Donaghy entitled, "Details of Donaghy's inside job." It did appear that they counted the bucket.

Last edited by Kajun Ref N Texas; Wed Aug 15, 2007 at 11:39am.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Understand that the NBA rules might be a little different. I am referring to NF/NCAA rules. I have no idea what the NBA rule may or may not be. I do not imagine this particular rule would be different, but anything is possible.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Understand that the NBA rules might be a little different. I am referring to NF/NCAA rules. I have no idea what the NBA rule may or may not be. I do not imagine this particular rule would be different, but anything is possible.

Peace
Agreed. I really could care less about the NBA rules. I saw the play on the video and wondered to myself what the NFHS rule was.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Thanks.

This play can be seen on a front page ESPN.com video story on Donaghy entitled, "Details of Donaghy's inside job." It did appear that they counted the bucket.
So, they got the play right, and ESPN is using it as evidence that he was on the take? I am so surprised.

question without seeing the play. Did the actual foul occur before the shooting motion started? It doesn't matter when A1 contacts A2, it only matters when B1 contacts A1 in relation to A2 starting his shooting motion.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So, they got the play right, and ESPN is using it as evidence that he was on the take? I am so surprised.

question without seeing the play. Did the actual foul occur before the shooting motion started? It doesn't matter when A1 contacts A2, it only matters when B1 contacts A1 in relation to A2 starting his shooting motion.
I do not know that this was used quite that way. I think they were showing plays where Donaghy involved. I did not think there was any implication that this particular play was involved in a betting scandal. This was one play in a montage of plays where they show Dongahy making a call or on an NBA Court. No different than when they talk about Barry Bonds and they show several no descriptive shots of Barry walking around or hitting a baseball or fielding a ground ball.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Correct ruling, but the language is simpler this way.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
when they talk about Barry Bonds and they show several no descriptive shots of Barry walking around
Don't you mean "waddling"?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
Agreed. I really could care less about the NBA rules. I saw the play on the video and wondered to myself what the NFHS rule was.
The ruling for the NBA would be that B1 is assessed the foul and if the bucket goes, A1 will shoot 1 free throw and play off the miss.

I am wondering, as far as college and high school rules, who shoots the free throw(s) in this sitch or does the ball go out of bounds even after a make, or does the shooter go to the line for free throws?

This play happened in the first half (i think) of the SOCON Championship game and I think they let the shooter go to the free throw line.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I am wondering, as far as college and high school rules, who shoots the free throw(s) in this sitch or does the ball go out of bounds even after a make, or does the shooter go to the line for free throws?
The player fouled shoots the FT's if his team is in the bonus under both FED and NCAA rules. If they aren't in the bonus yet, then they would get the ball OOB for a throw-in at the closest spot to the foul, whether the shot was made or missed.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The player fouled shoots the FT's if his team is in the bonus under both FED and NCAA rules. If they aren't in the bonus yet, then they would get the ball OOB for a throw-in at the closest spot to the foul, whether the shot was made or missed.
But in the NBA the FOULED player goes to the line for a single FT even if his team is not yet in the penalty for the quarter. Yet another difference in the rule sets which confuses the spectators.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does continuous motion apply to high school? I don't recall it being mentioned in the NFHS rulebook...

Last edited by lmeadski; Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 02:20pm.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
Does continuous motion apply to high school? I don't recall it being mentioned in the NFHS rulebook...
NFHS rule 6-7-7EXCEPTIONc and casebook plays 6.7COMMENT and 6.7C&D.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
JR,

Why did you not give this definition reference?

Rule 4-11 is the actual definition of Continuous Motion.

Reading definitions is the most important thing any official should do. Every rule comes back to a definition.

Peace