The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Rule Question

After a big block by A1,While the ball is dead since it went out of bounds, A1 receives a flagrant non contact technical foul for abusive language towards B2. While going to the table to report, b6 on the bench says something to the official and a technical foul is assessed to him.

How are the FT's administered, how is the ball put back into play. Is it point of interruption or is it at a designated spot at the division line because of the non contact flagrant foul? Is the bench technical indirect to the head coach or since the official had knowledge of who committed the act is it direct? Let's see if you can answer it... )
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's pretty simple, really. Penalize fouls in the order they occurred. B shoots A1's technical. then A shoots for B6's T. Since B6 is bench personnel, there is an indirect T on head coach, regardless of whether you have direct knowledge of who said it.. Play resumes with A receviing the ball at the midcourt line, because that's part of the last foul committed. Now that wasn't so bad, was it?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's pretty simple, really. Penalize fouls in the order they occurred. B shoots A1's technical. then A shoots for B6's T. Since B6 is bench personnel, there is an indirect T on head coach, regardless of whether you have direct knowledge of who said it.. Play resumes with A receviing the ball at the midcourt line, because that's part of the last foul committed. Now that wasn't so bad, was it?
For coaching box purposes, the coach has to now sit the rest of the game as well. Everything else Juulie said is right on.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
now is the college rule the same? Sorry I should have noted that
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 02:10am
Do not give a damn!!

No the college rule is not the same. I am not even sure that Men's and Women's is the same as to how this would be handled.

Flagrant Technical (dead ball) is enforced just like a HS technical. The ball would be placed at the division line given to the offended team after 2 FTs. A bench technical or "Bench Restriction Technical" is enforced by putting the ball in play at the point of interruption. So in this case you would have the ball given at the division line with Team A in possession after 4 FTs.

So if everything was the same and A6 got a bench technical (instead of B2), then the ball would go back to Team A after each team shot 2 FTs.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 02:30am.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Since B6 is bench personnel, there is an indirect T on head coach, regardless of whether you have direct knowledge of who said it.
Care to clarify this, Juulie? In NFHS, in order to have an indirect technical on the coach, you have to have a direct technical assessed to someone else.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
No the college rule is not the same. I am not even sure that Men's and Women's is the same as to how this would be handled.

Flagrant Technical (dead ball) is enforced just like a HS technical. The ball would be placed at the division line given to the offended team after 2 FTs. A bench technical or "Bench Restriction Technical" is enforced by putting the ball in play at the point of interruption. So in this case you would have the ball given at the division line with Team A in possession after 4 FTs.
In the original situation, wouldn't this be reversed? The flagrant T was on A1, so B will get the division line throw-in.

Women's NCAA here is same as men's.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:57am

Quote:

So if everything was the same and A6 got a bench technical (instead of B2), then the ball would go back to Team A after each team shot 2 FTs.

Peace
Wait a minute ole Rut boy. Me thinks you got this wrong. After the flagrant, team B is now in possession, technical on team B, team A shoots FT's but team B gets the ball at the division line. POI sir, you pointed that out but gave the ball to the wrong team.

Have fun taking that apart.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Care to clarify this, Juulie? In NFHS, in order to have an indirect technical on the coach, you have to have a direct technical assessed to someone else.
That someone could be the "bench". So it doesn't have to be any one player in particular. I could not know who said what, but if I hear "you're a piece of sh&% ref" from the bench with my back turned, I'm whacking the bench and letting the coach know that he just lost his coaching box priviliges.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
No the college rule is not the same.
One other thing about NCAA is that there is no "seatbelt" rule. He/she may still use the coaching box after the indirect T is assessed to him/her.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
That someone could be the "bench". So it doesn't have to be any one player in particular. I could not know who said what, but if I hear "you're a piece of sh&% ref" from the bench with my back turned, I'm whacking the bench and letting the coach know that he just lost his coaching box priviliges.
That's fine (as long as you go along with the T-ing the "bench" is okay philosophy). I just wanted to point out the fact that someone (or someones) must get a direct T before the HC can get an indirect T.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Why don't you reference the rulebook in your answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Wait a minute ole Rut boy. Me thinks you got this wrong. After the flagrant, team B is now in possession, technical on team B, team A shoots FT's but team B gets the ball at the division line. POI sir, you pointed that out but gave the ball to the wrong team.

Have fun taking that apart.
One of these days you will decide to pick up a rulebook. On second thought.....

Rule 10-14-1

Section 14. Penalty for Flagrant Technical Fouls

Art. 1. The penalty for a flagrant technical foul shall be two free throws awarded to a player of the offended team and possession of the ball to the offended team at the designated spot at the division line.

I guess some things will never change.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 09:34am.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
In the original situation, wouldn't this be reversed? The flagrant T was on A1, so B will get the division line throw-in.

Women's NCAA here is same as men's.
This is why you do not post early in the morning. Of course Team B would get the ball at the division line.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:40am

Quote:
One of these days you will decide to pick up a rulebook. On second thought.....

Rule 10-14-1

Section 14. Penalty for Flagrant Technical Fouls

Art. 1. The penalty for a flagrant technical foul shall be two free throws awarded to a player of the offended team and possession of the ball to the offended team at the designated spot at the division line.

I guess some things will never change.

Peace
There you have it, but you gave the ball to the wrong team! Now, what teams gets the ball after the 2nd technical, ncaa rules?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
There you have it, but you gave the ball to the wrong team! Now, what teams gets the ball after the 2nd technical, ncaa rules?
Good grief OS, it was a typo. Give the guy a little bit of a break. As we do with so many of your typos!!