The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood the whole shiny shoes thing for referees. I am guessing it's something that probably started a very long time ago when the shoes refs wore probably were not really athletic shoes. I think it's outdated and it looks awful. I will never shine my sneakers unless my assignor tells me I need to.

I am always looking at people's shoes, and I don't notice many people wearing shiny shoes in our association. Thank goodness.

I wholeheartedly agree with JRut - comfort is priority #1. If you can find a pair that looks good and feels good and are all black, consider yourself very fortunate.

Last edited by Smitty; Fri Aug 17, 2007 at 02:11pm.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra1
Tru dat,tru dat, but here in the new york area they are a growing trend, for players,I mean,you`ll see.
The best patented leather shoe was the Converse All-Star. Converse went under and Nike bought company (I think) and there have been imitations but not a decent match. I do like the Spot-Bilt Patent Leather shoe, but it is not as stylish as the All-Star. Around here, ever since the All-Stars were not made anymore, the wearing of those shoes has diminished greatly. And it seems like no one is making those kinds of shoes nearly as much as they did about 3 years ago.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, I`m saying, One of the reasons patent leather shoes are used, is to save time.Shining/polishing boots/shoes/sneaks.etc is very time consuming,it once,years ago was a sign of diligence,well it still is, somewhat, I give you that, but the point I`m trying to make is. IT is no longer required.You can buy your boots/shoes/sneaks,already shined,and get too doin`.

`Kay Pumpkin?
Well, next time say that instead of putting down nonsense about "more successful officials". You gave your opinion only. Don't intimate that "more successful officials" agree with you unless you can actually offer proof of that. That's an old trick that ain't gonna fly here. Btw, fwiw I completely disagree with your opinion anyway. That's my opinion.

Successful officials aren't measured by their shoes.

"Kay Pumpkin?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Aug 17, 2007 at 02:13pm.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Actually patent leather shoes seem to be more of a HS thing and a fading fad.
That's my take also. And they're fading fast also.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I've never understood the whole shiny shoes thing for referees. I am guessing it's something that probably started a very long time ago when the shoes refs wore probably were not really athletic shoes. I think it's outdated and it looks awful. I will never shine my sneakers unless my assignor tells me I need to.
I disagree with you there. A shined pair of shoes looks good no matter what kind of shoes they are. This the very reason why there still are shoe shin stands in airports. Also if your shoes shine it just looks a lot better than dull, bland shoes. We even shine our shoes in football and baseball and the minute you walk onto the field they are not shined anymore. But it just looks like you care about your appearance and care about other things going on during the game. Since a large part of what we do is presentation, you do not go to a presentation looking like you just rolled out of bed with hair not combed and taking a shower. You put your best foot forward (no pun intended) and look like you take this seriously. The same goes for having your pants pressed or making sure your shirt does not have frayed edges.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

We do disagree on that point then. I keep my shoes in their own bag and only wear them inside of the gym. They are always in perfect shape. I don't think shining sneakers makes them look any better at all - quite the opposite. I believe I look as professional on the court as anyone else.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
We do disagree on that point then. I keep my shoes in their own bag and only wear them inside of the gym. They are always in perfect shape. I don't think shining sneakers makes them look any better at all - quite the opposite. I believe I look as professional on the court as anyone else.
I do not know how they stay "perfect." I only wear my shoes on the court and they stay in the bag all the time as well other than when I am wearing them, and I pick up dust and some grime all the time. Or they get scuffed up by being stepped on. Also shining your shoes takes away a lot of the wear and tear look. It fills in the nature cracks and crevices in your shoes. So a pair I have had for several years look a lot newer. That is really the very reason people shine their shoes in the first place is to preserve their original look longer.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
They are Nike Air Max Solas, here is how they look after a magic marker and polish.

These sure look pretty shiney and it takes about 2 minutes once a week to keep them that way...and unlike the patents they are shiney all the way to the floor, they look uniform and don't go from mirror to asphalt like the patent leather ones do.

And most important...they feel great.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, next time say that instead of putting down nonsense about "more successful officials". You gave your opinion only. Don't intimate that "more successful officials" agree with you unless you can actually offer proof of that. That's an old trick that ain't gonna fly here. Btw, fwiw I completely disagree with your opinion anyway. That's my opinion.

Successful officials aren't measured by their shoes.

"Kay Pumpkin?
As usual you completely miss the point
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The point is that ultra-shiny patent looking or actual patent shoes are a matter of taste, read opinion. Some people like them, so they wear them, then others decide they like them too, and it becomes popular. Shoes can look neat and cared for without being as shiny as patent leather. But if they are important to your assignor, yea, ya gotta do it. Otherwise, I think it's just what you like and what you don't. Jurassic doesn't like them. I don't either. You do. Oh, well.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
As usual?

I put that in the exact same category as your "successful officials" statement. What basis are you using to say that is usual for me?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

shoes

Quote:
As usual?

I put that in the exact same category as your "successful officials" statement. What basis are you using to say that is usual for me?

My basis is that in each and every thread, no matter what sport, you seem to find a arguement with someone, it`s friday, you will have had at least four arguements by monday night.Any who,I never said wearing patent leather or not had anything to do with being successful,I merely stated the less time spent on mudane(shining shoes,etc) things gives you more time for more important things, like learning. got it sugar?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 08:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
got it sugar?[/FONT]
Yup, I've got you figured out perfectly.

WOBW, sugar.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink shoes

Quote:
Yup, I've got you figured out perfectly.

WOBW, sugar.

so you think

Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
My basis is that in each and every thread, no matter what sport, you seem to find a arguement with someone, it`s friday, you will have had at least four arguements by monday night.Any who,I never said wearing patent leather or not had anything to do with being successful,I merely stated the less time spent on mudane(shining shoes,etc) things gives you more time for more important things, like learning. got it sugar?
You said,

"wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do,"

and Jurassic asked you to show that more successful officials wear patent leather. He is questioning whether patent leather is really a necessary item for a "successful" ref. He wasn't arguing, just asking on what you base your statement. It's not an arguement, it's a discussion. Surely you know the difference.

From my experience and observation here in Portland, Oregon, I would question whether shining non-patent leather shoes is really much of a hindrance to learning. I mean, seriously, how much time does it take to whisk up your shoes once or twice a week? You could shine your shoes while you're studying your game tapes, or you could have your spouse read you test questions from last year's test, or you could listen to a tape of a lecture from camp. If you are really that concerned about the shoe-shining interfering with your learning.

BTW, where is Strong Island, NY?