The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
It would be, but when you are as good as me Nike gives you a shoe deal.
Don't tell them about the dogs.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra1
I been dyin` to get a pair of those ,Where did you find them!!!
google.com....where else?
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Found these, but they might be coaching shoes.
Only if you like patent leather.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Tanks guy,your neat.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And guys, stop the madness, buy one pair of standard sneaks,and one pair of patent leather, and don`t be cheap,(you can deduct whatever you buy off your taxes) Use the patent leather for you big crowd games,or hotly contested weekend tournaments. And use the standard sneaks for you rec leagues,and little kid games,etc. [/B]
Some people do not like the feel or the fit of the patent leather shoes (that are currently available). I know I do not like the Reebok patent leather shoes and I have a pair of them and wore them only a handful of times. I am sure some people are not allowed to wear them in certain situations.

The issue is not whether or not you have a pair of patented leather shoes. The issue is if you have a pair of shoes that you like and are comfortable for what you are using them for. I agree that you should have a pair of shoes for the regular season games. I just bought a pair of NB 888 this summer that was the high tops style and I do not like the way they feel on my ankles. But I know people that swear by them.

All of us have different issues when we wear shoes. I like a pair I wear during my varsity games. I have a pair I wear for college games. I have a pair I wear for lower levels. And I even bought a different pair I used almost only for summer ball (different surfaces).

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

shoes

JR,I agree, Different pairs for different levels,But I can`t see;or understand why all this hard work,these guys go through, to get,their shoes shiny/polished,when their are lots of patent leather shoes out on the market,it seems a little crazy to me
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR,I agree, Different pairs for different levels,But I can`t see;or understand why all this hard work,these guys go through, to get,their shoes shiny/polished,when their are lots of patent leather shoes out on the market,it seems a little crazy to me
Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic. The other is that shining your shoes says something about you. It may mean that you care about your appearance and are willing to work at looking professional, or it may mean that you're a narcissist.

But what does wearing patent leather say about you? That you can shop? That you can't be bothered shining your shoes? Or that you allocate your time wisely?

That's for others to decide.

If I were in a situation where my success relied on how someone else was rating me, I'd be more concerned about what the more successful officials do and follow their lead.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001
I went to Tony Stigliano's basketball Camp this summer and I worked a lot of games, like 6 games a day. My feet were killing me. I talked to a few other officials and Someone mentioned finding black running shoes, because they had better support. Wondering where I could find some all black running shoes to Work Games. Any help would be [email protected]
You must have gone to Denton, you probably saw me, I wan the incredibly good looking guy that worked 20 friggin' games!!!!!

CLH
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic.
That's because they are plastic (although not always cheap).
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic. The other is that shining your shoes says something about you. It may mean that you care about your appearance and are willing to work at looking professional, or it may mean that you're a narcissist.

But what does wearing patent leather say about you? That you can shop? That you can't be bothered shining your shoes? Or that you allocate your time wisely?

That's for others to decide.

If I were in a situation where my success relied on how someone else was rating me, I'd be more concerned about what the more successful officials do and follow their lead.
I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do, by spending less time doing mudane things like shining my shoes.And patent leather has come a long way,it`s looks good.If patent leather is good enough for us on the force and in the military,it`s good enough to ref some games in. And yes I shop very well.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do,
Oh? Have you got any proof that more successful officials actually do that? If so, please provide it. Or are you just saying that to bolster your own, personal opinion?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

shoes

[quote=Jurassic Referee]Oh? Have you got any proof that more successful officials actually do that? If so, please provide it. Or are you just saying that to bolster your own, personal opinion?[/quote

Help me lord!

No, I`m saying, One of the reasons patent leather shoes are used, is to save time.Shining/polishing boots/shoes/sneaks.etc is very time consuming,it once,years ago was a sign of diligence,well it still is, somewhat, I give you that, but the point I`m trying to make is. IT is no longer required.You can buy your boots/shoes/sneaks,already shined,and get too doin`.

`Kay Pumpkin?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do, by spending less time doing mudane things like shining my shoes.And patent leather has come a long way,it`s looks good.If patent leather is good enough for us on the force and in the military,it`s good enough to ref some games in. And yes I shop very well.
I do not completely agree with this. It is true that the military and several police forces might use patent leather shoes, but I do not agree that you have to be a successful official based on the shoes you wear. Actually I do not see very many officials at the highest of levels wear patent leather shoes. Actually patent leather shoes seem to be more of a HS thing and a fading fad.

That is why I will continue to say that what you wear on your feet is very personal. You are not going to convince people that believe in what they do to change. Ultimately shoes should fit and be comfortable for whatever level you do. If they look good that is a plus.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

patent leather is because someone likes it, not because it's inherently better. When my assignor tells me I"ll get better games if I wear shinier shoes, I'll invest. Meantime, my not really very shiny all black real leather shoes work just fine, and don't take a lot of time.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not completely agree with this. It is true that the military and several police forces might use patent leather shoes, but I do not agree that you have to be a successful official based on the shoes you wear. Actually I do not see very many officials at the highest of levels wear patent leather shoes. Actually patent leather shoes seem to be more of a HS thing and a fading fad.

That is why I will continue to say that what you wear on your feet is very personal. You are not going to convince people that believe in what they do to change. Ultimately shoes should fit and be comfortable for whatever level you do. If they look good that is a plus.

Peace
Tru dat,tru dat, but here in the new york area they are a growing trend, for players,I mean,you`ll see.