The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Survey Says ...

NFHS Rules Survey

Were the following rule changes satisfactory?

1. Enlarging the coaching box from 14 feet to 28 feet. The coaching box shall be outlined outside the court on which the scorer’s and timer’s table and team benches are located. The area shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line toward the division line.

2. Changing the way an official signals a foul against a player. The official shall verbally inform the offender, then with finger(s) of two hands indicate to the scorer the number of the offender and the number of the free throws.

3. Restricting the identifying names that may be placed on the jersey to include, if used, lettering with school name, school’s nickname, school logo name, player’s name and/or abbreviation of the official school name placed horizontally on the jersey. Also, the panel in the shoulder area of the jersey on the back may be used for placing an identifying name as well.

4. Stopping play and giving an official warning to the head coach (and recording the warning in the official scorebook) for misconduct by the coach or other bench personnel, unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul is assessed. A warning is not required prior to calling a technical foul.

Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. Increasing number of players wearing protective headgear.

2. Home teams wearing uniforms other than white for special recognitions.

3. Teams using balls that do not have the required NFHS Authenticating Mark.

4. Inconsistency among officials in allowing knee pads (and other pads) that do not meet the color requirements within the rule.

5. Concerns expressed by participants in volleyball and girls basketball about the differences in restrictions on hair-control devices, headbands and jersey waist-band rolling.

6. Increasing number of player-control fouls being called.

7. In states using the 28-foot coaching box, an increasing number of coaches using the coaching box inappropriately.

8. Decreasing number of technical fouls being called as a result of using the “bench warning.”

9. Increasing number of players wearing knee pads and claiming they are knee braces.

10. Increasing number of participants who are wearing warm-up clothing covering illegal uniforms and/or apparel that causes a delay in starting the game and/or contentious interaction between officials and coaches.

11. Increasing number of schools using scoreboards to time the time-outs that are granted, causing game personnel to not know how much time is remaining in a quarter.

About the rules for 2018-19 – Would you favor?

1. Awarding no free throws for common fouls prior to the sixth team foul each quarter.

2. Awarding a technical foul for slapping the backboard even though there is a try attempt.

3. Changing quarters to halves and any rules surrounding the speed up of play.

4. Using the 3-foot-wide arc under the basket to help clarify block/charge.

5. Changing home uniforms to a dark color and away uniforms to white.

6. Adding a rule to allow a coach to request a time-out near the end of the game to allow for bench personnel to enter the game – and only for that purpose.

7. Allowing the use of a 35-second shot clock by state association adoption.

8. Adopting a 35-second shot clock for boys and girls games nationwide, effective in a defined future season.

9. Adopting a 30-second shot clock for boys and girls games nationwide, effective in a defined future season.

10. Delineating further in the rules between knee/ankle sleeves and knee/ankle braces with allowances that knee/ankle sleeves may be any color used in the team uniform.

11. Removing color restrictions on arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compressions shorts, tights and permitted wristbands and headwear, provided each is a single, solid color.

12. Expanding use of the “tipped-ball” signal used in officiating potential backcourt violations to assist with regular out-of-bounds calls?

13. Having one signal to cover player-control and team-control situations, using the fist straight out as the team-control signal is currently.

14. Clarifying that stitching on the functioning seam of a sleeve may be a different color than the sleeve.

15. Beginning with the sixth team foul each quarter, the opponent shoots two free throws for all subsequent fouls.

16. Resetting the fouls to zero each quarter if the rule eliminating the 1-and-1 is adopted.

17. Permitting headbands with knots in the back and tails.

18. Changing the width of the headband from 2 inches to 3 inches?

19. Permitting coaches to only call a time-out during a dead ball, including after a made basket.

20. Permitting leg sleeves/tights/leggings to be black, white, beige or the color of the shorts/pants. All team members DO NOT have to be wearing the same color, but each individual must have the same color.

21. Eliminating the jump ball at the beginning of the game. The visiting team would get first possession and the arrow would be set after legal inbounds.

22. Allowing coaches to shorten a time-out to 30 seconds. If only full time-outs are available, allowing coaches to request only 30 seconds rather than 60 seconds.

23. Charging a direct technical foul to the head coach if players enter the game with illegal equipment (sleeves, tights, headbands, wristbands, undershirts, wearing uniform incorrectly, etc.).

24. Adding a provision to Rule 4, Section 40, Article 2 to stipulate that in order for a screen to be legal, the screener must have in-bounds status.

25. Including pregame dunking as one of the behaviors that would constitute a warning to the head coach (during pregame warmups, participants are considered to be bench personnel).

26. Prohibiting schools from using the scoreboard clock to time the time-outs that are granted so all game personnel will be able to see how much time is left in a period.

27. Resuming the backcourt 10-second count after the defensive team causes the ball to go out-of-bounds in the backcourt of the offensive team (resets to 10 seconds on fouls, time-outs, defensive violations).

28. Limiting apparel choices to solid black or solid white.

29. Requiring team members who are warming up to remove warm-up gear that will not be worn during the game at least three minutes prior to the start of each game so officials have the opportunity to identify and to rectify illegal apparel violations.

30. Starting overtime by using the alternating-possession arrow and eliminating the jump ball. Overtime is an “extension of the fourth quarter” in all areas, e.g., direction of play, fouls on each player.

Feedback to NFHS Basketball Rules Committee – Do you believe?

1 In the past five years, there have been too many rules changes approved by the committee not dealing specifically with risk minimization.

2. In the past five years, there have been too many rules changes approved by the committee that mirror the college game.

3. The committee should spend more time reviewing the state of the game from a national perspective.

4. The committee should spend more time educating coaches and game officials on existing rules rather than creating new rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 02:02pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Missing Link ...

I forgot to copy the last page of the survey (general concerns about the NFHS rules committee). Could somebody please post it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 12:36pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Jump Balls, Never, Ever ...

21. Eliminating the jump ball at the beginning of the game. The visiting team would get first possession and the arrow would be set after legal inbounds.
30. Starting overtime by using the alternating-possession arrow and eliminating the jump ball. Overtime is an “extension of the fourth quarter” in all areas, e.g., direction of play, fouls on each player.

Wait until Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. wakes up from his early afternoon nap and reads this. He's (in the vernacular of the 1960's) "gonna have a cow".

He may get so agitated that he won't be able to get any sleep when he tries to take his late afternoon nap.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 02:02pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

It's about time they addressed the pernicious problem of different colored stitching!!!

Seriously, who the hell brought that one up?

Is the survey out already?
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Abomination To The Game Of Basketball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
It's about time they addressed the pernicious problem of different colored stitching!!! Seriously, who the hell brought that one up? Is the survey out already?
Hey! I've been complaining about the different colored stitching on the functioning seam of sleeves for thirty-seven years (way before Allen Iverson got bursitis in his right elbow).

It's about damn good time that the NFHS finally did something about it. The existing rule is an abomination to the game of basketball.

I received the survey link in an email from our Connecticut interscholastic high school sports governing body (CIAC) today (Sunday).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 01:26pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

More micro-managing, solutions looking for problems. Do the powers that be do this stuff just to justify their paychecks and authority?
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sure BillyMac, I Can Help You Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I forgot to copy the last page of the survey (general concerns about the NFHS rules committee). Could somebody please post it?
Feedback to NFHS Basketball Rules Committee – Do you believe?

1 In the past five years, there have been too many rules changes approved by the committee not dealing specifically with risk minimization.

2. In the past five years, there have been too many rules changes approved by the committee that mirror the college game.

3. The committee should spend more time reviewing the state of the game from a national perspective.

4. The committee should spend more time educating coaches and game officials on existing rules rather than creating new rules.

Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
It's about time they addressed the pernicious problem of different colored stitching!!!

Seriously, who the hell brought that one up?

Is the survey out already?
I took it earlier this week.

And, some bodies do not allow a different colored stitching (the rule does say "solid color"), and some do. Heck, some might allow it if it's not too obvious, but not allow it if it is clearly contrasting.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 02:21pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

I think you have both been victims of a major spoofing campaign.

The obvious source of this survey was www.theonion.com.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here it is...

found the survey on their website:

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...questionnaires
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just a few thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

About the rules for 2018-19 – Would you favor?

1. Awarding no free throws for common fouls prior to the sixth team foul each quarter.
I think this has worked great in the women's college game.

2. Awarding a technical foul for slapping the backboard even though there is a try attempt.
No. Just opens up an avenue for controversy on legitimate shot block attempts.

4. Using the 3-foot-wide arc under the basket to help clarify block/charge.
If instituted, I can see a lot of issues in application with newer officials, or some officials stuck in their ways. Not that that is a reason to not change a rule, but I don't see this as necessary in HS ball.

14. Clarifying that stitching on the functioning seam of a sleeve may be a different color than the sleeve.
And this year's winner for Dumbest Proposed Rule Change is........
Oh, and this would be a shoe-in for Dumbest Rule Change of the Decade in 2 years as well.

15. Beginning with the sixth team foul each quarter, the opponent shoots two free throws for all subsequent fouls.

16. Resetting the fouls to zero each quarter if the rule eliminating the 1-and-1 is adopted.
For 15 and 16, same justification as #1

19. Permitting coaches to only call a time-out during a dead ball, including after a made basket.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is already the worst rule in NCAA Men's, no need to expand it to HS (and younger). Why add a middle man? Other than a trap in a corner and similar situations, virtually all timeouts are strategic and wanted by the HC. Not like you have captains saying, "Hmm... I think we need a break here..."

Disagree. Sorry Billy, I for one enjoy the tradition here. Plus it could be argued that not having it makes a legitimate difference in OT.

23. Charging a direct technical foul to the head coach if players enter the game with illegal equipment (sleeves, tights, headbands, wristbands, undershirts, wearing uniform incorrectly, etc.).
Nope. Especially the part about wearing the uniform incorrectly, you're going to give the HC a Tech for a player not tucking in their jersey? I hope not

25. Including pregame dunking as one of the behaviors that would constitute a warning to the head coach (during pregame warmups, participants are considered to be bench personnel).
I'm actually ok with this, because I think it's one step closer to just allowing this legitimate shot attempt during pregame.

27. Resuming the backcourt 10-second count after the defensive team causes the ball to go out-of-bounds in the backcourt of the offensive team (resets to 10 seconds on fouls, time-outs, defensive violations).
Good thought, and I like its application in college, however, unless they allow the 10 second count to be timed by the game clock (or shot clock if used), then I think this ends up being another rule change thats totally opening itself to problems and controversy. (An official that loses their count by a whistle, the communication of time remaining, etc.)

Same as before.

The rest I have no clear opinion one way or another-
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They Shoot Horses, Don't They ??? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
21. Eliminating the jump ball at the beginning of the game. The visiting team would get first possession and the arrow would be set after legal inbounds. Disagree. Sorry Billy, I for one enjoy the tradition here.
Over the past decades, as the number of jump balls has decreased to almost none (compared to several (at three different circles) in games many years ago), officials just don't know the jump ball rules like they use to know them. Most officials (both tossers, and nontossers) just hope for the best, maybe catching a jumper tapping the ball on the way up, or catching the ball before the jump ball ends. Many officials have little understanding of what jumpers and nonjumpers can do before the toss, during the toss, and after the toss. I've heard very otherwise competent officials tell all ten players, "Don't move.", before tossing, and I've heard officials tell players that they can't stand behind an opponent when both are several (more than three feet) away from the circle.

We're only one, or two, jump balls a game from doing away with them all together, let's put the jump ball out of it's misery, it's the only humane thing to do.

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Hold your spots", said by the referee, or tosser, before the jump ball, is only rule based for some of the players. One exception to this rule, and there are others, is that players on the jump ball circle can move off the jump ball circle at any time: before the toss, during the toss, or after the toss.

"You can't stand behind him”, stated by the referee, or the umpire, before a jump ball, to a player who is directly behind an opponent, both whom are ten feet off the jump ball circle, is not rule based. The rule that players can’t stand behind, within three feet, of an opponent, only applies to players on, and within three feet of, the jump ball circle. Players farther back than that can stand wherever they want, as long as they get to that spot first.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 04:29pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

You sly dog.......

You have six threads in an 11 post thread......nice job !!!!!
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W doesn't start bonus on the sixth foul.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Just a few thoughts...

Nope. Especially the part about wearing the uniform incorrectly, you're going to give the HC a Tech for a player not tucking in their jersey? I hope not

The rest I have no clear opinion one way or another-
I agree with the technical but eliminate the "wearing uniform incorrectly." This would help to eliminate inconsistencies in application and also put the onus directly on the shoulders of where it belongs, the coaches.

In PA, the PIAA requires us to ask coaches if their teams are equiped properly according to the NFHS. If they answer yes and they aren't, they should get penalized.