The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
It’s time to order some new shoes. I’m debating what direction to go, nike air down low’s with Leather Luster or patent leather.

Does or has anyone used Leather Luster on there basketball shoes? If so how did it holdup? Any problems with it cracking? How does it look compared to the patent leather shoes?

Thanks for any help.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Leahter Lustre doesn't work well on the Nike Air Down Low. The shoe is synthetic leater, not authentic leather. The finish doesn't dry and remains tacky to the touch. The shine never comes through. It just doesn't work.

You can try cleaning and sanding the shoes, then applying LL. But I didn't want to risk ruining the finish completely, if LL didn't work.

Perhaps others have had better luck. I used it on real leather and has wonderful results but not with this shoe.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I don't like the look of the patent leathers.

I've never tried the leather luster.

I polish my shoes every month or so and use kiwi high luster liquid before each game.

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Speaking of new shoes, that is what I am doing this moment. Does Honigs have REALLLY wide shoes? If not, where can I get some really wide shoes at?
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same wide foot problem. I've got a pair of new balances that are wide, but they just don't shine up good enough to wear. I've just been cramming my foot into a converse patent leather shoe that's half a size too big.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

How do the patents hold up? I look at them and remember all of my patent leather shoes from the 70's. I use Kiwi on my Reebok DMXs and it holds up well.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

My patent leather shoes are a year old, and they're holding up really well. They're the old converse brand and pretty good.

After I'm done this season, I'm gonna try and see if anyone else in my board is interested in getting new shoes and sending an order down to the OC. I try not to wear my shoes for more than 2 seasons.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
How do the patents hold up? I look at them and remember all of my patent leather shoes from the 70's. I use Kiwi on my Reebok DMXs and it holds up well.
I wore mine last year and they still look brand new. I'll get a couple new pair soon, but only because I get feet problems when I don't keep my feet in pretty new shoes. It's so nice to NEVER have to waste my valuable time (which becomes even more valuable during the busy hoop season) shining shoes.

Z
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking shiny shoes

I did a pair of Converse Running Refs about 6 years ago with Leather Luster. When preparing the shoes...it's best to clean the leather completely! You will need to buy a quart of lacquer thinner because what Leather Luster provides you will not be enough to properly clean the leather before you treat the shoes with the gloss coating. You've got to pretty much clean the black coloring of the leather off till it's almost gray. It's a lot of work.....results are GREAT! Shoes won't crack. The finish will last and last. Touch up with Pledge really gets them gleaming. Careful you don't get any Pledge on the bottom. You'll have slippery conditions for a bit until you get the soles roughed up!

I since have gone the route of the Converse Running Ref Patent Leathers, but most recently purchased a pair of the OfficialsChoice patent leathers. I really like the OC's better. Padding in the right spots. Good heel support and a fairly stable shoe. The higher profile provides good support for ankle and achilles. There seems to be a bit more support in the arches than what came in the Converses.

My vote is the patent leather. Most important is fit & comfort over style and glitz! Get what works for you! I'm lucky the OC's fit well and are comfortable. Tip: If you go the patent leather route....be sure your partners wear 'em too. They do draw attention, and it's better the crew is all on the same page or odd guy gets the ribbing. I keep a standard leather pair of Converse Running Refs when working with crews that just dress their shoes with a good polish job. Collonil liquid shoe polish (Honig's) does a nice job on these.

Good Luck... and protect your feet!

wl
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

If you are wearing real leather, the 99 cent Griffin's polish works great. Wipe them off, use the wand, and let them dry, takes about 3 minutes to apply and 15 minutes for it to completely dry.

3 minutes once a week is not a big deal.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I used Leather Luster on a pair of shoes 2 years ago. I echo the sentiments about making sure you get all the color out of the leather. Takes quite a bit of work but the results are great!

I've since gone to using Griffin's and am satisfied with the results. Can't beat 99 cents!
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Leather luster is best when you send it off to them and have them do it...doesn't cost to much and it lasts a whole lot longer!!!! looks just like a patent leather shoe when you get it back!!! had a pair for 2 years...went to the patent leather this year...reebok "the ref" and i love them... no more polishing and shining for me
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

FYI, having leather luster do it costs $45.

Does anyone else have shoes that leather luster did NOT work on. I'm about to try it on some Nike Uptempo Reals.

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Leather Luster does not work well on any of the Nike synthetic leathers. It works great on New Balance. I have done my own shoes several times and have also sent them it to Leather Luster. I will send them in from now on. They do a better job than I can do!
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Speaking of new shoes, that is what I am doing this moment. Does Honigs have REALLLY wide shoes? If not, where can I get some really wide shoes at?
I use the New Balance walking shoes - They come in 4W, and are very comfortable. Try them on before buying, since they're a little bigger than the basketball shoes. They're not particularly shiny, but to me comfort is more important than looks. If I can't walk tomorrow, I can't work tomorrow.