The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Throw in after made basket

NFHS.

Team B makes a basket and immediately requests and gets a time out.

During the time out, Team A sets up the typical "A1 passes to A2 who just ran behind the baseline OOB" play.

My question is, while the official has the ball getting ready to resume play, can A1 and A2 BOTH be OOB behind the baseline at the beginning of the throw in, say 10 feet down the line?

Also, if A1 is standing on the spot the official pointed at, can A2 be on the officials other side?

Can the whole team be OOB?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:21am
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
My question is, while the official has the ball getting ready to resume play, can A1 and A2 BOTH be OOB behind the baseline at the beginning of the throw in, say 10 feet down the line?
Since in your case, the throw-in may be made from anywhere along the endline, yes.

Quote:
Also, if A1 is standing on the spot the official pointed at, can A2 be on the officials other side?
Yes.

Quote:
Can the whole team be OOB?
Yes.

Can the whole team do the hokey-pokey, or run a 5-man weave to try to throw off the defense? Yes, as long as they release a throw-in pass within 5 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:21am
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
This would not be a spot throw in would it? After a made basket they will still retain run of the baseline and therfore can have more than 1 player OOB. Restriction applies to a spot throw in if I remember correctly.


Dang too slow Scrapper beat me to it.
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:42am
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Since in your case, the throw-in may be made from anywhere along the endline, yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Can the whole team do the hokey-pokey, or run a 5-man weave to try to throw off the defense? Yes, as long as they release a throw-in pass within 5 seconds.

Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 10:49am
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance.

MTD, Sr.
That rule was changed when the NF Board finally realized that the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about!
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 572
Please...no jokes about the guy who wrote the "hokey-pokey" died and the funeral was a disaster cause they couldn't get him in the casket. "They put his right foot in..."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Please...no jokes about the guy who wrote the "hokey-pokey" died and the funeral was a disaster cause they couldn't get him in the casket. "They put his right foot in..."
Same thing happened to the guy who invented the bunny hop.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 01:14pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance.

MTD, Sr.
Is that anything like the Chuck Elias dance?

http://www.nutsacdance.org/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Is that anything like the Chuck Elias dance?

http://www.nutsacdance.org/

Well, he's not travelling, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,276
CoachP,
Scrapper correctly answered all of your questions. I will only add that the official should NOT be pointing to any spot in this case, since the throw-in is NOT a designated-spot throw-in.
Truly the team can pick any location along the endline for the official to administer the ball when they return to the court following the time-out and the official should oblige.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
CoachP,
Scrapper correctly answered all of your questions. I will only add that the official should NOT be pointing to any spot in this case, since the throw-in is NOT a designated-spot throw-in.
Truly the team can pick any location along the endline for the official to administer the ball when they return to the court following the time-out and the official should oblige.
That's nice to know too. Usually, you just kinda see A1 mosey up to wherever the official with the ball is standing.

So, are you saying A1 can walk all the way to the corner and say, "Mr./Ms. Official, I'd like you to bounce me the ball down here." ??
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:31pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
That's nice to know too. Usually, you just kinda see A1 mosey up to wherever the official with the ball is standing.

So, are you saying A1 can walk all the way to the corner and say, "Mr./Ms. Official, I'd like you to bounce me the ball down here." ??
Yes, and most officials will comply. However, there's not much recourse for you if the official decides he's happy where he is.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yes, and most officials will comply. However, there's not much recourse for you if the official decides he's happy where he is.
And that would be closest to the cheerleaders?

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:55pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
And that would be closest to the cheerleaders?

Well, if it's Padgett..... Yes.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
That's nice to know too. Usually, you just kinda see A1 mosey up to wherever the official with the ball is standing.

So, are you saying A1 can walk all the way to the corner and say, "Mr./Ms. Official, I'd like you to bounce me the ball down here." ??
Unless it's a spot throw-in, sure.

Heck - if they insist, I'll bounce it wherever they want on a spot throw-in. Then we'll have a quick whistle and give the ball to the other team.
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throw In after Made Basket actuary77 Basketball 15 Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25pm
Throw-in after made basket FrankHtown Basketball 8 Wed Dec 20, 2006 04:05pm
Basline throw-in after made basket and T.O. zebraman Basketball 23 Sat Mar 26, 2005 04:57am
Throw in after made basket Rodego Basketball 11 Fri Jul 30, 2004 05:12pm
Throw-In after made basket kschau Basketball 1 Sat Jan 20, 2001 11:10am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1