The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in after made basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/37154-throw-after-made-basket.html)

CoachP Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14am

Throw in after made basket

NFHS.

Team B makes a basket and immediately requests and gets a time out.

During the time out, Team A sets up the typical "A1 passes to A2 who just ran behind the baseline OOB" play.

My question is, while the official has the ball getting ready to resume play, can A1 and A2 BOTH be OOB behind the baseline at the beginning of the throw in, say 10 feet down the line?

Also, if A1 is standing on the spot the official pointed at, can A2 be on the officials other side?

Can the whole team be OOB?

Scrapper1 Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP
My question is, while the official has the ball getting ready to resume play, can A1 and A2 BOTH be OOB behind the baseline at the beginning of the throw in, say 10 feet down the line?

Since in your case, the throw-in may be made from anywhere along the endline, yes.

Quote:

Also, if A1 is standing on the spot the official pointed at, can A2 be on the officials other side?
Yes.

Quote:

Can the whole team be OOB?
Yes.

Can the whole team do the hokey-pokey, or run a 5-man weave to try to throw off the defense? Yes, as long as they release a throw-in pass within 5 seconds.

SmokeEater Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:21am

This would not be a spot throw in would it? After a made basket they will still retain run of the baseline and therfore can have more than 1 player OOB. Restriction applies to a spot throw in if I remember correctly.

Dang too slow Scrapper beat me to it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Since in your case, the throw-in may be made from anywhere along the endline, yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Can the whole team do the hokey-pokey, or run a 5-man weave to try to throw off the defense? Yes, as long as they release a throw-in pass within 5 seconds.

Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance. :D

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance. :D

MTD, Sr.

That rule was changed when the NF Board finally realized that the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about! :eek:

FrankHtown Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29am

Please...no jokes about the guy who wrote the "hokey-pokey" died and the funeral was a disaster cause they couldn't get him in the casket. "They put his right foot in..."

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Please...no jokes about the guy who wrote the "hokey-pokey" died and the funeral was a disaster cause they couldn't get him in the casket. "They put his right foot in..."

Same thing happened to the guy who invented the bunny hop. :rolleyes:

Jurassic Referee Thu Aug 02, 2007 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Scrapper:

In the ancient days the rules prohibited the hokey-pokey, but did allow the chicken dance.

MTD, Sr.

Is that anything like the Chuck Elias dance?

http://www.nutsacdance.org/

rainmaker Thu Aug 02, 2007 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Is that anything like the Chuck Elias dance?

http://www.nutsacdance.org/

Well, he's not travelling, that's for sure!

Nevadaref Thu Aug 02, 2007 03:42pm

CoachP,
Scrapper correctly answered all of your questions. I will only add that the official should NOT be pointing to any spot in this case, since the throw-in is NOT a designated-spot throw-in.
Truly the team can pick any location along the endline for the official to administer the ball when they return to the court following the time-out and the official should oblige.

CoachP Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
CoachP,
Scrapper correctly answered all of your questions. I will only add that the official should NOT be pointing to any spot in this case, since the throw-in is NOT a designated-spot throw-in.
Truly the team can pick any location along the endline for the official to administer the ball when they return to the court following the time-out and the official should oblige.

That's nice to know too. Usually, you just kinda see A1 mosey up to wherever the official with the ball is standing.

So, are you saying A1 can walk all the way to the corner and say, "Mr./Ms. Official, I'd like you to bounce me the ball down here." ??

Adam Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

That's nice to know too. Usually, you just kinda see A1 mosey up to wherever the official with the ball is standing.

So, are you saying A1 can walk all the way to the corner and say, "Mr./Ms. Official, I'd like you to bounce me the ball down here." ??

Yes, and most officials will comply. However, there's not much recourse for you if the official decides he's happy where he is. :)

CoachP Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yes, and most officials will comply. However, there's not much recourse for you if the official decides he's happy where he is. :)

And that would be closest to the cheerleaders?

:D

Adam Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:55pm

Quote:

And that would be closest to the cheerleaders?

:D

Well, if it's Padgett..... Yes.

Mark Dexter Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:59pm

Quote:

Unless it's a spot throw-in, sure.

Heck - if they insist, I'll bounce it wherever they want on a spot throw-in. Then we'll have a quick whistle and give the ball to the other team. :p