The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I did a JV game once, where the home team didn't have their white jerseys for some reason. They wore dark, navy blue jerseys and the visitors wore a lighter blue. We informed the captains that would call the light blue "blue" and the dark blue "black".

After the captains went back to the benches, the home coach told me his players felt we were being racist by calling them "black", since most of the players on the team were black.

Looking back on it, I think I could have asked him for alternatives, but it was such a dumb complaint, we just blew it off and went with blue and black.
A dribbling player stepped on the end line in a rec game I was calling a few years ago so I whistled him out of bounds. From the bench one of his teammates called me a racist, I assume because I'm white and the violating player was black. However, aside from the clock operator, I was literally the only white guy in the gym, so I guess every call I made must have clearly validated and reinforced my racist status. My African-American partner got a pretty good laugh from my damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. Sometimes I think people look for reasons to be over-sensitive.