The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Boys grade7-8 tournament this weekend.

My team is at the line for 2 free throws. Official bounces the ball to my player for first of 2. B1 has a lane violation before the shot is taken. Trail blows whistle (before the shot) and announces... "lane violation on B, now we're shooting 3 shots instead of 2".

I thought that was a really interesting interpretation of the rule book.

For the record, my player missed the 3rd one.

Ren
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

nothing really interesting about it, just a really bad screw-up from an obviously inexperienced official, at least in terms of rules knowledge
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was about to add that the official was a 1st year official .

I did go up to her and her partner after the game and politely explained the rule to them. Her partner (a 2nd year official) didn't pick up on it either.

Ren
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb 1st and 2nd year officials.

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
I was about to add that the official was a 1st year official .

I did go up to her and her partner after the game and politely explained the rule to them. Her partner (a 2nd year official) didn't pick up on it either.

Ren

I think you answered your own statement. And if you really think about it, it was really not that weird epecially at that level.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hold on a minute. B1 committed a violation. The official blowing the whistle does not cancel the violation. If the first shot is missed then A1 still gets the shot over for the violation. So, this is one way A1 could be shooting three shots. Is this what happend?
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

He incorrectly blew the whistle before the FT attempt. It's 2 shots, no matter what.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Hold on a minute. B1 committed a violation. The official blowing the whistle does not cancel the violation. If the first shot is missed then A1 still gets the shot over for the violation. So, this is one way A1 could be shooting three shots. Is this what happend?
When B violated before the shot, this is a delayed violation. If A makes the FT, no violation. If A misses, blow whistle and A reshoots the first FT.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
He incorrectly blew the whistle before the FT attempt. It's 2 shots, no matter what.
I have to disagree, If the 1st shot is missed, the player gets another shot for the violation.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have to disagree, If the 1st shot is missed, the player gets another shot for the violation.
Not if the official blows the whistle and calls the violation before the shot. We aren't going to shoot "3 to make 2."
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
In the end, the player will get two shots. If the first misses (and the ref holds his whistle), the player gets a replacement first shot, not a second shot. (Yes, semantics, but it is important).
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not if the official blows the whistle and calls the violation before the shot. We aren't going to shoot "3 to make 2."
I can't remember if it is college or HS or Both, But i have read the rule. Blowing the whistle before the shot does not cancel the violation, and if the shot is missed then the violation is still in affect and we have another shot. I will try to find this rule.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can't remember if it is college or HS or Both, But i have read the rule. Blowing the whistle before the shot does not cancel the violation, and if the shot is missed then the violation is still in affect and we have another shot. I will try to find this rule.
In both, you're correct for calling a timeout - the violation is not erased because of the timeout.

If, however, the whistle is blown accidentally before the ball is in flight, the ball becomes dead. At that point, the free throw ends, and a substitute FT is awarded. The substitute free throw is NOT awarded if this first substitute throw is unsuccessful.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

OK i found it. 2000-01 Women's rules questionnaire Prepared by Barbara Jacobs. Question # 9; Defender B1 steps into the lane early on a free throw by A1. The official blows an inadvertent whistle. The official takes the ball away from A1 and re-administers the free throw. A1 misses the free throw and play continues. Is the official correct? Answer is NO.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Just a thought.

Quote:
OK i found it. 2000-01 Women's rules questionnaire Prepared by Barbara Jacobs. Question # 9; Defender B1 steps into the lane early on a free throw by A1. The official blows an inadvertent whistle. The official takes the ball away from A1 and re-administers the free throw. A1 misses the free throw and play continues. Is the official correct? Answer is NO.
That would all be fine and dandy if this applied to NCAA Women's Basketball rulings in 2000-2001. But this was a 7th and 8th grade game. Unless otherwise stated I would assume that they used NF rules to some extent. I think we need to find a NF ruling or we need to know what rules this game was under. Often times the college has a different way of handling things than the lower levels.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

This tournament was run using NFHS rules.

Ren