The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Question Does this constitute fighting ?

It's a boys frosh summer tourney. Teams are this season's incoming Frosh class. Championship game. NFHS rules.

I am lead. Ball bouncing around at division line. 5 kids going after it. We got scrum action, partner passes on it all and ball pops out towards the other basket. I am now moving towards the division line. 2 of the kids start running at other full speed,yelling not so nice greetings, never make it to each other because 2 other players get in the way and keep them seperated. I did the big whistle blast thing which seemed to help, somewhat. Whole lotta pushing and screaming going on. I tweet. I got 2 ejections. A little chaos but coaches are cool about the whole thing.

My partner who is doing the evaulating/mentoring thing pretty much reads me the riot act for the ejections. Says I should have just sat them down to cool off for awhile, since they never made contact with each other.. I like this guy . i respect him . I think he is a very solid varsity official. I just think he missed the boat on this one.

What do you guys/gals think ?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Judgment and HTBT call imo. You don't need contact or "fighting" per se to have flagrant technical fouls anyway. Flagrant acts could be swearing, gestures, etc.

If you felt that the the game was better off without the l'il sh!ts, I ain't gonna second-guess you.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Fighting is defined in rule 4. According to what my book says you got it right. Not sure I have much to say about any evaluator who would 'read you the riot act' for strongly dealing with this sitch.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like appropriate action took place to me. I don't think you can "sit" them down. The coach is the only one who decides who sits. Penalty boxes aren't in our sport.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only way you can "sit them down" is to eject them. Well done.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm DOWN with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The only way you can "sit them down" is to eject them. Well done.
Some of the refs have the philosophy that "sitting" them is okay. I think it's leakage from rec/summer ball. Had a partner try this in a JV boys game. Coach refused and the conversation was interesting. Kids ended up not sitting but it was kinda fun to watch it play out.......
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Whole lotta pushing and screaming going on.
Kids right out of Middle School pushing and screaming and basically acting like "little sh!ts".....no problem with the ejections.

High School Varsity game in the regular season?...still no problem...BUT, I can see, maybe, what your Varsity mentor was trying to get across.

He might have seen unsporting activity...T's...not FLAGRANT activity which is ejections. I don't know, I wasn't there. Again, "reading you the riot act" and just mentioning the two possible calls...are two different styles of "teaching".
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Some of the refs have the philosophy that "sitting" them is okay. I think it's leakage from rec/summer ball. Had a partner try this in a JV boys game. Coach refused and the conversation was interesting. Kids ended up not sitting but it was kinda fun to watch it play out.......
That's why you might whisper to the coach that it might be a good idea to get his player outa there to cool down a little bit, but you can't tell the coach to sit that player. It's always the coach's choice only.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the coach acts this way, no wonder the players do.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

Quote:
It's a boys frosh summer tourney. Teams are this season's incoming Frosh class. Championship game. NFHS rules.

I am lead. Ball bouncing around at division line. 5 kids going after it. We got scrum action, partner passes on it all and ball pops out towards the other basket. I am now moving towards the division line. 2 of the kids start running at other full speed,yelling not so nice greetings, never make it to each other because 2 other players get in the way and keep them seperated. I did the big whistle blast thing which seemed to help, somewhat. Whole lotta pushing and screaming going on. I tweet. I got 2 ejections. A little chaos but coaches are cool about the whole thing.

My partner who is doing the evaulating/mentoring thing pretty much reads me the riot act for the ejections. Says I should have just sat them down to cool off for awhile, since they never made contact with each other.. I like this guy . i respect him . I think he is a very solid varsity official. I just think he missed the boat on this one.

Good job!!!! You got rid of the DRAMA!!!!
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. The actions of the players as you have described them do NOT meet the NFHS definition of fighting per 4-18. This is the case since neither player attemtped to "strike, punch or kick an opponent." So you should not charge either player with fighting. Of course, this doesn't mean that they cannot be disqualified for another reason!

2. In my opinion, the actions of both players clearly meet the definition of a flagrant foul (4-19-4) as each displayed "unacceptable conduct" and that conduct was "extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive." I would disqualify both players using the wording of that rule.

3. As others have said, an official has no authority whatsoever to prevent a player from further participation in a contest unless that player has been disqualified. Under strict NFHS rules there are no temporary benchings for cooling off.

4. In summary, I think that you got the situation right, but for the wrong reason. I think that your "mentor" needs to reexamine how he handles extreme behavior.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 05:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, I thought fighting was expanded recently to include acts that could provoke a fight. thoughts?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Nevada, I thought fighting was expanded recently to include acts that could provoke a fight. thoughts?
My rulebooks are packed away for the summer, but I thought that fight-provoking acts were only considered fighting if they actually provoked a fight.

Anyone who can verify this one way or the other?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

"Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as......the usual suspects"

So I might be able to say that running at each other while yelling is a combative act..
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
3. As others have said, an official has no authority whatsoever to prevent a player from further participation in a contest unless that player has been disqualified. Under strict NFHS rules there are no temporary benchings for cooling off.
While not the same as setting them out to cool off, an official can direct a player to leave the game for failure to wear the uniform properly.