The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 07:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In ten years, I've never had a partner tell the players this, but I have witnessed several partners instruct the nonjumpers WHO ARE NOT STANDING AROUND THE CIRCLE to "hold their spots/positions."

That is just as incorrect.

I've politely asked a few of these refs about this instruction following the game, and each has insisted that these players must be stationary for the jump ball.
Probably, and I'm just guessing here, the same guys who insist all non-shooters must stand behind the division line on technical foul free throws.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 07:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Probably, and I'm just guessing here, the same guys who insist all non-shooters must stand behind the division line on technical foul free throws.
Naw, they're the ones that mis-interpret the restrictions against moving around or onto the circle from the "ready" until the ball is tossed with legally being able to move directly back off the circle.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In ten years, I've never had a partner tell the players this, but I have witnessed several partners instruct the nonjumpers WHO ARE NOT STANDING AROUND THE CIRCLE to "hold their spots/positions."
I've always said this, with the understanding that it meant not to switch positions around the circle.

Now that I realize that it can be misinterpreted, I guess I'll have to reconsider.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree

From Mark Dexter: "Hold (your) spots. I've always said this, with the understanding that it meant not to switch positions around the circle. Now that I realize that it can be misinterpreted, I guess I'll have to reconsider."

I agree. Same understanding, same realization, and after 26 years of saying this, I also must now reconsider.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

This is good reading. I have always thought this to be the case as well (cant move) since I heard the phrase so many times. After re-reading the rules I too see the confusion of the phrase.

Nor had it stuck in my head that the "Jumper" didnt have to face his basket; only has to be in that half of the circle. Nor did I consider that he didnt have to "jump" at the toss. And the "jumper" can touch the ball up to twice, but no more.... aaaahhhhh the little things.

Thanks for the clarity...