The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I would like to know if this is legal in Middle School girls ball in NC.

On the initial jump ball,one girl jumps and taps ball,the other don`t jump,she steps back in front of the intended reciever and catchs the tap.Is this legal?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

My Rookie Take

NFHS Rule 6-4-7

Neither Jumper Shall

a) touch the tossed ball before it reaches it's highest point
b) Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched

c) Catch the jump ball

Of course this assumes they use NF rules in North Cack-a-Lackey

Larks - Rookie At Large

Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I am surprised at how many players do not realize this is illegal. I was calling a JV game recently and the jumper A tipped the ball straight up and then caught it. This obviously is illegal. My question...how does this affect the AP? B gets the ball because of the violation. Where is the arrow set?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
I am surprised at how many players do not realize this is illegal. I was calling a JV game recently and the jumper A tipped the ball straight up and then caught it. This obviously is illegal. My question...how does this affect the AP? B gets the ball because of the violation. Where is the arrow set?

Without looking....I'm going out on a limb by saying the AP goes to the team that committed the violation.

Old Guys?

Larks....Your Veteran In Training.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In NFHS, B gets the ball and arrow - the reasoning is that A established possession simultaneously with the violation.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
In NFHS, B gets the ball and arrow - the reasoning is that A established possession simultaneously with the violation.
I read in 6-3-1 that Control may also be established by the results of a violation or foul . So, if B violates during the jump to start a game, its a double gain for A...they get the throw in PLUS the get the arrow? I would think that by A gaining the first possession to start the game b/c of a violation or foul by B, B would be entitled to the next AP. Hmmmmmmmm

This Rook needs more info on this one.

Larks
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Talking

I read in 6-3-1 that Control may also be established by the results of a violation or foul . So, if B violates during the jump to start a game, its a double gain for A...they get the throw in PLUS the get the arrow? I would think that by A gaining the first possession to start the game b/c of a violation or foul by B, B would be entitled to the next AP. Hmmmmmmmm

Larks [/B][/QUOTE]Rook,try casebook play 6-3-1c.That details it.Btw-North Cack-a-lacky?-Old guys?Do you have a tourniquet,bandaids(small,I presume),and a large jar of shoe polish?Might be wise to stock up.The "Ohio Express" is leaving shortly.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Larks
Rook,try casebook play 6-3-1c.That details it.Btw-North Cack-a-lacky?-Old guys?Do you have a tourniquet,bandaids(small,I presume),and a large jar of shoe polish?Might be wise to stock up.The "Ohio Express" is leaving shortly. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL...Thanks for the Ref. Ref. BTW, where to I get a ticket for the "Ohio Express". North Cask-a-Lackey here I come! Good Golf....uhh....Good Golf....and well, what else is there down there?

Hey, if it werent for us Young-uns, the old guys would have no one to pick on!

Larks...Rookie Engineer on the Ohio Express!

P.S. what do I need the shoe polish and med supplies for again?!?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
I would like to know if this is legal in Middle School girls ball in NC.

On the initial jump ball,one girl jumps and taps ball,the other don`t jump,she steps back in front of the intended reciever and catchs the tap.Is this legal?
Tommy, a jumper, whether he/she jumps or not, is not allowed to gain possession of the ball until it hits the floor, another player, or the rim or backboard.

Was the play called correctly?

Where are you in NC?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Talking

[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL...Thanks for the Ref. Ref. BTW, where to I get a ticket for the "Ohio Express". North Cask-a-Lackey here I come! Good Golf....uhh....Good Golf....and well, what else is there down there?

P.S. what do I need the shoe polish and med supplies for again?!? [/B][/QUOTE]Ah,Larks,my dear boy,I will be pleased to enlighten you.Showing up shortly on your doorstep will be Elvis the Hard-@ssRef from North Cack-a-Lackey and his band of merry "old guys"(including myself).At this time,you will be neutered,have your shoes puked on,and everyone will point at your pants.It's kind of a fun initiation procedure we've developed for cetrtain selected new officials.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

P.S. what do I need the shoe polish and med supplies for again?!? [/B][/QUOTE]Ah,Larks,my dear boy,I will be pleased to enlighten you.Showing up shortly on your doorstep will be Elvis the Hard-@ssRef from North Cack-a-Lackey and his band of merry "old guys"(including myself).At this time,you will be neutered,have your shoes puked on,and everyone will point at your pants.It's kind of a fun initiation procedure we've developed for cetrtain selected new officials. [/B][/QUOTE]

Man....and I just got those shoes! Make sure my wife doesnt find out I got neutered....she wants another kid.....

Whew, the 60's must have been good to you old guys! Either that or the H20 in the Cack-A-Lackeys should be avoided!

Signed, Larks....VIT (Veteran in-training)

P.S. Anyone have any galoshes and/or barf bags?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Talking

[/B][/QUOTE]

Man....and I just got those shoes! Make sure my wife doesnt find out I got neutered....she wants another kid.....

Whew, the 60's must have been good to you old guys! Either that or the H20 in the Cack-A-Lackeys should be avoided!

Signed, Larks....VIT (Veteran in-training)

P.S. Anyone have any galoshes and/or barf bags? [/B][/QUOTE]Ah,I'm starting to see potential in you,young 'un.Please promise me that when you grow up,you won't become a "Rules Interpreter and Instructional Chairman' in Ohio.You could be asked to join our group.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

jump ball

well,the kids have did it every game so far and got possession of the ball too.The other player touches the ball,our girl backs up and catches the tip.

we are in the Rocky River Middle School Athletic Con.
near Charlotte,NC
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
The other player touches the ball,our girl backs up and catches the tip.
This is illegal, as has been pointed out. But if, instead of catching it, she were to bat it to the floor, and then hold it, I think that would be legal. Any objections to this?

Of course, this assumes that the other jumper taps it forward and not to a player behind her.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: jump ball

This is illegal, as has been pointed out. But if, instead of catching it, she were to bat it to the floor, and then hold it, I think that would be legal. Any objections to this?
Chuck [/B][/QUOTE]

You are correct. 6.4.7 States, "The jump ball and these restrictions end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight non-jumpers, the floor, a basket or backboard."

As long as she does not touch the ball more than twice or leave the restraining circle, she may bat the ball to the floor and get it.

[Edited by Rev.Ref63 on Dec 15th, 2001 at 12:30 PM]