The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 477
Jump Ball Administration Question

On many occassions during the jump ball administration to start the game, I've witnesed several referees, including some partners in games I'm in, tell the non-jumpers that they can't have a foot on the division line or straddle the division line. This is for both the non-jumpers lined up around the center circle and those that aren't. Do any of you tell players this or have you seen this before? If so, what rule are you or are these referees citing should somebody ask them why can't we stand there? Again, I'm talking about the division line. Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:06pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
All I can come up with is 2-3, the 'war powers act.'
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jul 19, 2007 at 01:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:24pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
On many occassions during the jump ball administration to start the game, I've witnesed several referees, including some partners in games I'm in, tell the non-jumpers that they can't have a foot on the division line or straddle the division line. This is for both the non-jumpers lined up around the center circle and those that aren't. Do any of you tell players this or have you seen this before? If so, what rule are you or are these referees citing should somebody ask them why can't we stand there? Again, I'm talking about the division line. Just curious.
NFHS rule 6-3-1---"each jumper shall have both feet within that half of the center restraining circle which is farther from his/her basket".

That restriction applies only to the jumpers. That's probably where the confusion lays. There is no rule stating that non-jumpers can't have a foot on or straddle the center line. Iow, it's legal.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jul 19, 2007 at 01:29pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rule 6-3-1---"each jumper shall have both feet within that half of the cenrer restraining circle which is farther from his/her basket".

Been a rule for a long, long time.
Understand that rule, but I'm specifically talking about the "non-jumpers" in the OP.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:31pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Understand that rule, but I'm specifically talking about the "non-jumpers" in the OP.
See the revision.....
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Perhaps, long ago, in the annals of the game, it was a rule. Perhaps, long ago, some ancient referee pulled this out of his tail and now these guys do it because it was done to them.

But there is nothing in the rules about whether non-jumpers can touch or straddle the division line.

Edit: Dangitt, JR. For an old guy, you're mighty quick on them keys.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:10pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Perhaps, long ago, in the annals of the game, it was a rule. Perhaps, long ago, some ancient referee pulled this out of his tail and now these guys do it because it was done to them.

But there is nothing in the rules about whether non-jumpers can touch or straddle the division line.

Edit: Dangitt, JR. For an old guy, you're mighty quick on them keys.

BITS:

I am one of those "ancient referees", , and I do not remember any such rule regarding the non-jumpers.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
BITS:

I am one of those "ancient referees", , and I do not remember any such rule regarding the non-jumpers.

MTD, Sr.
Yeahbut you don't remember what color socks you put on this morning either.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:26pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yeahbut you don't remember what color socks you put on this morning either.
Mine are flesh colored.

Wait a minute.......
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Mine are flesh colored.
Which for you is an attractive mix of driftwood gray and old cow liver brown?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:55pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Which for you is an attractive mix of driftwood gray and old cow liver brown?
With spots.

Wait a minute again.....some of those spots are moving.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
With spots.

Wait a minute again.....some of those spots are moving.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Which for you is an attractive mix of driftwood gray and old cow liver brown?
Do you work for Binney and Smith?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic
Do you work for Binney and Smith?
Latest colors in the 64 crayon box marketed for baby boomers and older


Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
On many occassions during the jump ball administration to start the game, I've witnesed several referees, including some partners in games I'm in, tell the non-jumpers that they can't have a foot on the division line or straddle the division line. This is for both the non-jumpers lined up around the center circle and those that aren't. Do any of you tell players this or have you seen this before? If so, what rule are you or are these referees citing should somebody ask them why can't we stand there? Again, I'm talking about the division line. Just curious.
In ten years, I've never had a partner tell the players this, but I have witnessed several partners instruct the nonjumpers WHO ARE NOT STANDING AROUND THE CIRCLE to "hold their spots/positions."

That is just as incorrect.

I've politely asked a few of these refs about this instruction following the game, and each has insisted that these players must be stationary for the jump ball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jump Ball Question? Davidm855 Basketball 4 Tue Jan 31, 2006 02:41pm
Jump Ball Administration johnnyrao Basketball 7 Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:16am
Question -- Jump ball right after opening Jump ball bradfordwilkins Basketball 9 Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:42pm
Jump ball question Mark Padgett Basketball 13 Tue Jun 17, 2003 01:52pm
jump ball question TommyH Basketball 14 Sat Dec 15, 2001 01:28pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1