The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 01:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
#1) I don't claim anything, I leave that up to you. Believe what you want to believe. Along this line of thinking, I believe this forum has a need, a great urge to want to hate others
This must make you feel better, but I have to break it to you. No one here "hates" you. We just disagree with virtually everything you say.
Quote:
if the defense forces me to put air in the whistle, and I'm not in a good position (in transistion) to make a good judgment on the play.
Comical. "I didn't want to put air in my whistle. I'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you darned kids."
Quote:
If you want to call it the safe call, all I can say is a referee has never been reprimented or suspended for making a safe call. Not making a call, could be devastating to your career.
I'd be willing to be money that an official has been reprimanded, suspended, and/or non-retained for making what he/she thought was the "safe call."
The "safe call" is another word for the "chicken-sh!t call."
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
. If you want to call it the safe call, all I can say is a referee has never been reprimented or suspended for making a safe call.
So, are you talking about safety for the players ro safe for the career of the official? Your references to "safe" are a little muddled.

Quote:
If you want to call it the safe call, all I can say is a referee has never been reprimented or suspended for making a safe call. Not making a call, could be devastating to your career.
There are more possibilities than either "the safe call" or "not making a call". There is also "making the right call", which in the OP is a charge.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think it's based on commen sense. This was an obvious foul that we needed a whistle on. We can not, no-call this contact. That is what I meant by obvious foul. If you're not sure because you are in transistion, what are you gonna call?
This play has nothing to do with common sense. We are not talking about calling an intentional foul on this play. And I did not say anything about not calling a foul either. Do you actually read what people say to you?

Quote:
#1) I don't claim anything, I leave that up to you. Believe what you want to believe. Along this line of thinking, I believe this forum has a need, a great urge to want to hate others, but what's surpirising is how hard you turn on your own. In any event, if the defense forces me to put air in the whistle, and I'm not in a good position (in transistion) to make a good judgment on the play.
Why would you not be in good position? I guess that is a common excuse you seemed to give.

Quote:
No one has been reprimanded for making the safe call? It is obvious you know little about officiating (not that we did not already know this) but for the newer people this comment proves it.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

See Jeff, you can't help youself, can you?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
See Jeff, you can't help youself, can you?

The difference is I know who I am dealing with. I do not expect it to change. I will take on his point of view when it is appropriate. I am not trying to demean him like many others.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why would you not be in good position? I guess that is a common excuse you seemed to give.
Maybe because he doesn't know what position that he should be in?

When you don't own the mechanics books and have never received any training, you do what Old School does. You go where you want to and then guess.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:14pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
... you do what Old School does. You go where you want to and then guess.
That's funny!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There are more possibilities than either "the safe call" or "not making a call". There is also "making the right call", which in the OP is a charge.
Which is exactly my point. Most officials as can be determined by reading this thread alone, initially comes out with a block. Most everyone had to view it a 2nd time to come away with PC. The officials on the floor didn't have that luxary. Only a few of us said PC right off the bat. Now, realistically speaking, combine that with the fact you are in transition, how can you honesty say for sure what this call is? If you are unsure, which is my point that nobody wants to acknowledge or attempt to answer, but if you are unsure. What is your call?

Now, to my 2nd point. We all know what the right call is. The problem is, the majority of the time this happens in a game it's going to be ruled a block. Not every time but the majority of the time. Like it or not, as JR said, that be the way it is. Now, if you disagree with that, my opinion is like what JRut stated, lunacy. If you agree with that assessment that by-in-large most of the time this will be called a block. Then we can draw some meaningful conclusions from it. Like, it might not be in the best interest for the defender to do, being that most of the time it’s going to be ruled a block. You don’t coach your players to do things that most likely will go against you, imo. It’s just like the dribbler trying to dribble between 3 people, more than likely he’s going to get the ball stolen and not the foul call for the contact when he tried to go between them.

A wise man once said; play smart, referee smart, referee smart, referee career longer and more enjoyable.

Last edited by Old School; Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 03:34pm.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
That's funny!
The sad part is that he actually admits to it and doesn't see anything the matter with it either.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. Most officials as can be determined by reading this thread alone, initially comes out with a block. Most everyone had to view it a 2nd time to come away with PC.
Which is exactly my point. You're the only goofus that viewed it a second time in slo-mo and still said it was a block. That's because you don't have know or understand basic rules and how to apply those basic rules. You could see that video a hundred times and you wouldn't know what to look for unless somebody laid it out beforehand, like Bob Jenkins did in the third post of this thread. And even with Bob laying it out then, you still got it wrong---over and over and over.

WOBW, JMO.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:41pm

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. You're the only goofus that viewed it a second time in slo-mo and still said it was a block. That's because you don't have know or understand basic rules and how to apply those basic rules. You could see that video a hundred times and you wouldn't know what to look for unless somebody laid it out beforehand, like Bob Jenkins did in the third post of this thread. And even with Bob laying it out then, you still got it wrong---over and over and over.

WOBW, JMO.
Whatever......!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 05:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
WOBW
??????????
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 05:16pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
??????????
WOBW = Waste Of BandWidth
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 07:19pm
Administrator

While I will admit that this was a bang-bang play, if one referees the defense, he will get the play correct almost everytime. This play met all of the rule critera for a charge.

Your reasons for call this a block is shear nonsense. Your reasons are not logical nor do they follow the rules. As I have stated many times in the past, officiating using your illogical and incorrect interpretations of the rules, does a disservice to the game of basketball. Please take an officiating class and learn how to officiate basketball. And maybe you should stop hiding behind your nom de plume. Fill out your profile and use your real name.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Which is exactly my point. Most officials as can be determined by reading this thread alone, initially comes out with a block. Most everyone had to view it a 2nd time to come away with PC. The officials on the floor didn't have that luxary. Only a few of us said PC right off the bat. Now, realistically speaking, combine that with the fact you are in transition, how can you honesty say for sure what this call is? If you are unsure, which is my point that nobody wants to acknowledge or attempt to answer, but if you are unsure. What is your call?
That was not your point 4 pages ago. 4 pages ago, you were talking about keeping the players safe by calling block regardless of the actual play. On this play, if I'm unsure, I'm calling a charge. My philosophy is that if the defender is that close as to make it a question, he/she deserves the credit. That is the right call. If I'm watching the defender (which by the way, is the way to do it) and it's so close I can't tell, then it's a charge every time.

Quote:
Now, to my 2nd point. We all know what the right call is. The problem is, the majority of the time this happens in a game it's going to be ruled a block. Not every time but the majority of the time. Like it or not, as JR said, that be the way it is. Now, if you disagree with that, my opinion is like what JRut stated, lunacy. If you agree with that assessment that by-in-large most of the time this will be called a block. Then we can draw some meaningful conclusions from it. Like, it might not be in the best interest for the defender to do, being that most of the time it’s going to be ruled a block. You don’t coach your players to do things that most likely will go against you, imo. It’s just like the dribbler trying to dribble between 3 people, more than likely he’s going to get the ball stolen and not the foul call for the contact when he tried to go between them.
Just because the majority of the time this will be called a block DOES NOT MAKE IT THE RIGHT CALL. Sheez, OS, whose side are you on anyway? The Coach? But then, I'm not sure what coach would want you. Most coaches that I know that acutally do coach real high school ball, DO coach their kids to set up for the charge. Of course they don't coach their kids to dribble between the defenders, since it's just plain stupid. Setting up to take the charge is just great play, and coaches DO WANTR THEIR KIDS TO DO IT.

Quote:
A wise man once said; play smart, referee smart, referee smart, referee career longer and more enjoyable.
That wise man has lousy English.