Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Just a quick question, don't lose too much sleep thinking about it. You fans and coaches can clime in on this too. How many times have you seen the ball hit the b/b and later slapped by the defender and it not be called a GT? How many times?

Trapping the ball against the b/b is not the same thing. The ball clearly hit the b/b first and then it was block. My math is something like 9.999999 times out of ten. With that kind of results we can draw some meaningful conclusions. Understand, it is not a perfect 10, so in the .000001 percent of the time the ball actually hit the b/b and is still going up. I'll take that hit. If the margin of errors in my games is .000001 percent of the time. I'll take that. Now go ahead and show us all how anal you are about the details of the rules. And don't worry so much about me giving out bad information because I think that to the degree that you like to push things on this forum and in this profession. You will scare away any young intelligent mind, thinking about making this a career.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's legal for the ball to hit the b/b and still be going up, and not be a GT. I just don't think in the heat of battle I will be able to distinguish within a split-second that it will take me to rule on the play, if the ball was still going up or not afterwards, plus when I consider the numerical odds of it actually happening, well, you make the call and I hope you're right because if you are wrong. Would it be worth the gamble?

Have a nice evening....
I had it happen tonight in a HS summer league game...kid went up from my side as trail (2 whistle), got fouled ball hit the backboard just above the pad going up and a second defender blocked it.

So I called a foul, had the coach yelling for a GT because it hit the backboard, to which I calmly said, "It was still going up." He said, "Yeah it was but it hit the backboard."

You see unlike you, I know the rules, have the ability to see the whole play, and GET THE FREAKING CALL RIGHT!

And I have seen and called it correctly numerous times...but then again, it is probably a really rare occurrence in those mens D leagues you do.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Also, for what it's worth, on lay-ups the ball is usually still going up immediately after it strikes the backboard, it's very rare for a player to lay it in high enough for it to go immediately downward. Players shooting at that height aren't using the backboard, they are dunking it.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
1)How many times have you seen the ball hit the b/b and later slapped by the defender and it not be called a GT?

2) How many times?

3) Don't get me wrong, I understand it's legal for the ball to hit the b/b and still be going up, and not be a GT. I just don't think in the heat of battle I will be able to distinguish within a split-second that it will take me to rule on the play, if the ball was still going up or not afterwards, plus when I consider the numerical odds of it actually happening, well, you make the call and I hope you're right because if you are wrong. Would it be worth the gamble?
1) Good officials recognize it and don't call it. As Bob Jenkins said, one instance would be in the NCAA tournament last year.

3)Stoopid question. How many times do you see "traveling"? Who counts?

3) No, you didn't know it was legal until you you got corrected by everybody after your post #8 of this thread. As usual, you didn't have a clue what the actual rule was. I do agree though that you will be unable to distinguish what is happening in the heat of battle and make the right call. I don't expect the average fanboy in the fifth row to be able the make that call either. I do expect that a fairly competent, experienced official will know the rule and make the correct call. That's why they're officials and you're not.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't expect the average fanboy in the fifth row to be able the make that call either.

I do expect that a fairly competent, experienced official will know the rule and make the correct call.

That's why they're officials and you're not.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:33am

Quote:
Bottom line, JMO, you don't have a clue what the rule is or how the play should be called. As usual. You also still have that McGriff knack of getting everybody upset with you though. That's the mark of a consummate troll.
If you and everybody else is upset about this. Then you and everybody else needs to get a life. Seriously!
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I had it happen tonight in a HS summer league game...kid went up from my side as trail (2 whistle), got fouled ball hit the backboard just above the pad going up and a second defender blocked it.

So I called a foul, had the coach yelling for a GT because it hit the backboard, to which I calmly said, "It was still going up." He said, "Yeah it was but it hit the backboard."

You see unlike you, I know the rules, have the ability to see the whole play, and GET THE FREAKING CALL RIGHT!

And I have seen and called it correctly numerous times...but then again, it is probably a really rare occurrence in those mens D leagues you do.
Whatever! Glad you got it right though....keep up the good work
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hold the phone! I got goaltending here. I have never ever seen a case where it wasn't called a score when the ball hit the backbroad first. I'm not quite sure I'm going there. I'm not splittng the difference between if the ball is still going up after it hits the b/b. Once it hits the b/b, defenders should know to leave it along.

Count the bucket!

I actually saw this happen at a recent camp. The ball hit the bottom of the b/b and was probably going to still go in. Defender blocked it, we all got GT. Clinician, coaches didn't say a word. I was Lead and I saw the ball hit the b/b but slightly below the rim, and thought to myself is that a GT? Next thing I know we got whistles coming from everywhere, count the bucket. From C and Trail, that's going to be hard to pickup if it's below the rim and it's still going up after it hit the b/b. The way they want us to make this call, the C and T has primary and at best (game speed with other things to watch) they are good to determine if it even hit the b/b and if it did, I got GT. From lead you have a better view, provided it's on your side, but you're not responsible for that call. I'm not going there and I'm not splitting hairs here. Players should know that if the ball hits the b/b, 9.99999 times out of 10 it's going to be a GT. Take your chances if you want but don't get mad if it don't go your way.

Clueless.

Quote:
Just a quick question, don't lose too much sleep thinking about it. You fans and coaches can clime in on this too. How many times have you seen the ball hit the b/b and later slapped by the defender and it not be called a GT? How many times?
Every time it actually occurs.

Don't lose any sleep over this, JMO. It's not likely to happen in any of your elementary rec games.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed May 30, 2007 at 09:33am.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually saw this happen at a recent camp. The ball hit the bottom of the b/b and was probably going to still go in. Defender blocked it, we all got GT. Clinician, coaches didn't say a word. I was Lead and I saw the ball hit the b/b but slightly below the rim, and thought to myself is that a GT? Next thing I know we got whistles coming from everywhere, count the bucket. From C and Trail, that's going to be hard to pickup if it's below the rim and it's still going up after it hit the b/b. The way they want us to make this call, the C and T has primary and at best (game speed with other things to watch) they are good to determine if it even hit the b/b and if it did, I got GT. From lead you have a better view, provided it's on your side, but you're not responsible for that call. I'm not going there and I'm not splitting hairs here. Players should know that if the ball hits the b/b, 9.99999 times out of 10 it's going to be a GT. Take your chances if you want but don't get mad if it don't go your way.
This probably happened at the NBA camp he attended last year, so maybe it was the right call afterall. He has said that he does college ball, so maybe he does the NBA too.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 12:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you and everybody else is upset about this. Then you and everybody else needs to get a life. Seriously!

Seriously.

Time to lock another thread. JMO, the McGriff-Killer, turns another no-brainer 4-post thread into 40.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:45pm

Quote:

Seriously.

Time to lock another thread. JMO, the McGriff-Killer, turns another no-brainer 4-post thread into 40.
Sometimes, I have no clue what you are taking about, but as far as locking threads. I think you are more so to blame then me for that, and what did you do to my San Antonio Spurs thread?

The fact that there's 40 posts is a good thing. Some of us are discussing and sharing information. You know, not all of us are perfect so when you guys are not posting insulting remarks, we actually are able to have some decent dialog. Getting you to take a break with the insults is tough. You must live a pretty dull life if you get upset about every comment someone makes.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Clueless.

Every time it actually occurs.
And how often is that?
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Watch a few D-1 games and you'll see several.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 02:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
And how often is that?
What difference does it make how often it occurs??? The fact remains that touching the ball after it hits the backboard is not a violation under NFHS or NCAA rule sets. You were wrong when you said it was goaltending, and you are wrong to try to base your argument on the fact that it happens rarely therefore you will all it a violation...that makes absolutely no sense.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And how often is that?
Like I said, I saw it just last night.

I see it several times a season in games I do.

I see it in games I watch...in fact I saw a replay of the Lake Osewega/Mater Dei boys HS game on just a couple of nights ago and they had it there. The shot hit the board going up, it got touched, came down and was on the rim where an offensive player touched it. So we had a correct no-call on the block and a correct call on the offensive BI...of course the stupid guy calling the game said it was a GT before the GT on the offense...do you call HS games on TV?
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Some of us are discussing and sharing information.
Yup, some of us are. Unfortunately, JMO, you're not one of that group. You're the troll over in the corner that doesn't understand very basic rules, doesn't understand what we're talking about, and doesn't own the appropriate rules and mechanics books to try and figure out what we are talking about. This particular thread is just another example of that.

Smokey the Bear has you figured out!
Closed Thread