View Single Post
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 04:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why wouldn't you split that difference? That's what the rule about GT says - the ball MUST be on it's downward flight.

Why? Why should they leave it alone? Just because it hit the backboard? Wrong rule set here, pal...
They should leave it along because the risk of the official calling it a GT is very very likely. We're talking a spilt second here, was or wasn't? If I'm not sure, but I am sure you cobber it off the b/b, we're going the other way, count the bucket. That's a tough call to get and you don't want to miss an obvious GT. Even from the Lead position where I was, I still was unsure if the ball had started it's downward fly or not, very close. One thing I was sure about is the defender hit it after it hit the b/b. One of the tough things about being an official, we don't get the benefit of instant replay. Maybe that will change in the future but we're not there yet which means you need to rely on your judgment. It's a judgement call and sometimes we're going to get it wrong. But you know what, if you're going to go for the .000001 time that you got there b4 the downward flight. Then so be it. I still sleep good at night.

Oh, and Rainmaker, please define for me what is the difference between counting the bucket 2 or 3, or awarding the bucket, 2 or 3?

Newsflash for you JR, people are not perfect and guess what? Officials are people. One more thing, what did you do to my San Antonio Spurs tread?