View Single Post
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 01:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebo
A little embarassed to admit that I don't know the rule on this one, but I thought this would be the best place to go to find out...
My question is...Is it legal according to NCAA rules block a shot and pin it against the backboard if it has already hit the backboard if the ball is still below the height of the rim? I tried searching through the NCAA rule book on this one. I know we would automatically count the bucket if this play happened in a high school game, but I was not sure about college. In discussing this play with others, I heard conflicting opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hold the phone! I got goaltending here. I have never ever seen a case where it wasn't called a score when the ball hit the backbroad first. I'm not quite sure I'm going there. I'm not splittng the difference between if the ball is still going up after it hits the b/b. Once it hits the b/b, defenders should know to leave it along.

Count the bucket!

I actually saw this happen at a recent camp. The ball hit the bottom of the b/b and was probably going to still go in. Defender blocked it, we all got GT. Clinician, coaches didn't say a word. I was Lead and I saw the ball hit the b/b but slightly below the rim, and thought to myself is that a GT? Next thing I know we got whistles coming from everywhere, count the bucket. From C and Trail, that's going to be hard to pickup if it's below the rim and it's still going up after it hit the b/b. The way they want us to make this call, the C and T has primary and at best (game speed with other things to watch) they are good to determine if it even hit the b/b and if it did, I got GT. From lead you have a better view, provided it's on your side, but you're not responsible for that call. I'm not going there and I'm not splitting hairs here. Players should know that if the ball hits the b/b, 9.99999 times out of 10 it's going to be a GT. Take your chances if you want but don't get mad if it don't go your way.