The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

My Old High School

New Jersey State Playoffs. I know it is long at 4 minutes, but go ahead to the last minute and see the shot. My mom sent me the article as it is a big deal there--the title in the paper was Ripped Off!

In case you don't watch the video, here is what happened (I won't discuss the added 2 seconds coming from the home team's scorekeeper that the refs put back on the clock): Highlands is up 60-58 as Parsippany Hills brings the ball up. A kid heaves a desperation shot....hits rim, bounces up, hits the basketball mount behind the backboard, back down onto the rim and then into the basket. The trail official counts it and then runs into the lockerroom.

Enjoy. Looking forward to comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdlL_vgeL4
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my gosh. I watched it again...listen to the basketball whistle just after it hits the post and before it goes into the basket. Just crazy. Funny reading the posts at YouTube.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
New Jersey State Playoffs. I know it is long at 4 minutes, but go ahead to the last minute and see the shot. My mom sent me the article as it is a big deal there--the title in the paper was Ripped Off!

In case you don't watch the video, here is what happened (I won't discuss the added 2 seconds coming from the home team's scorekeeper that the refs put back on the clock): Highlands is up 60-58 as Parsippany Hills brings the ball up. A kid heaves a desperation shot....hits rim, bounces up, hits the basketball mount behind the backboard, back down onto the rim and then into the basket. The trail official counts it and then runs into the lockerroom.

Wow....what a cluster. My only question is why is this game being officiated 2-person? State playoffs reffed 2-person?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
OMG! WTF? Bummer.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is why you should have 3 officials. The one official is looking at the player to make sure he does not get clobbered. A third official would have likely seen that. Unfortunate, but this was a judgment call all the way.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah...not really a judgment as much as a guess since he probably didn't see, but it looks like he is watching the shot, not the shooter...and listen again to the whistle before the ball goes in. Did the guy get overcome with the wild celebration that he counted it?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah...not really a judgment as much as a guess since he probably didn't see, but it looks like he is watching the shot, not the shooter...and listen again to the whistle before the ball goes in. Did the guy get overcome with the wild celebration that he counted it?
Anytime it is an either or call, it is a judgment call. I had to look at this a couple of times to be sure I saw what it looked like. The film was grainy and not easily seen.

I also do not think the whistle means anything. He probably blows the whistle when he hears the horn. Not sure that even matters. You might be analyzing that too much.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
The way I was taught was to whistle on the horn, that way 'all' can tell where the ball is in relation to the horn going off. In this case, ball is in flight, whistle sounds, easily determined that the shot got off before the horn, and will be good if it goes (as long as it doesn't hit any basket supports).
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
The way I was taught was to whistle on the horn, that way 'all' can tell where the ball is in relation to the horn going off. In this case, ball is in flight, whistle sounds, easily determined that the shot got off before the horn, and will be good if it goes (as long as it doesn't hit any basket supports).
You were taught incorrectly.

The whistle is to be blown to signify that the ball is dead or that a foul or violation occurred during the try. Therefore, if there isn't a foul or violation (such as the ball hitting something OOB such as a backboard support ) during the try, it should be blown as soon as the try is over--it is clear that it is unsuccessful or after it is successful.

Remember the sounding of the horn doesn't end the quarter or make the ball become dead when there is a try in flight. So you don't blow the whistle for no reason during a live ball.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(I won't discuss the added 2 seconds coming from the home team's scorekeeper that the refs put back on the clock)
I will. The video has a natural break that you can find by pausing it and then sliding the dot along the bar. This occurs at 1:11 of the video clip and the game clock is clearly visible and shows 7.3 seconds left. The clock is running while the player is OOB making the throw-in following the three-point goal, which made the score 58-59 in favor of the visitors.

I now pushed play and let the video run. I clicked pause as soon as I heard the official sound the whistle for the ensuing foul. The video clip stops at 1:14. That means that the clock should be at about 4.3 seconds left. When the camera swings over and shows the game clock it says 4.1 seconds. There is no obvious timing error here. The home timer pulled one over on the refs. The clock was reset to 6.0 seconds and that clearly isn't right.
This video should be sent to the state office.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

How do I get a copy of that video? That is a must have training video for an officials' association.

Unfortunately, there is no way to download and save videos from youtube.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

The bottom line here:
1. Time should not have been added back on the clock.
2. The basket should not have counted. Totally, a bad sequence of events.

This is for those newer official who may be starting. The time you hear or blow your whistle. You should always look at the clock.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

I just watched it again and noticed something pretty bad. At 3:14 of the clip the Lead official picks a position from right in the middle of the lane to observe the final play. He walks over as if he is going to come strong side and then just stops, right smack in the middle. That itself isn't so terrible, but then he doesn't bother to look at the players, rather he looks straight up at the ball bouncing around up there!!! If he is going to do that, then he could at least help his partner make the right call. Just sad.

Who trained that guy?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
How do I get a copy of that video? That is a must have training video for an officials' association.

Unfortunately, there is no way to download and save videos from youtube.
Actually, you can.

Don't have time right now to do the research, but Google "saving YouTube video" and you'll find software out there that does exactly that.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Actually, you can.

Don't have time right now to do the research, but Google "saving YouTube video" and you'll find software out there that does exactly that.
You might not have heard but Viacom is suing Google/Youtube for $1B for content rights violation. This is going to be a huge deal.

With that in mind, here are a bunch of links to help you out.

Enjoy (but be careful )

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...video+software