Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 05:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
More proof you aren't an official.

The rule of thumb is if you aren't sure you DON'T CALL IT!
You're viewing this one dimensional, but we have another level here. Fact, the ball did hit the b/b first, fact, the defender touched the ball afterwards. I've been doing this way too long for you to trip me up this way. I can argue and support the fact that the ball was hit after it hit the b/b. Now, I'm not splitting the atom today. If you want someone with that type of precision then you don't want humans to referee the games, you want a computer.

Bottom line, if he blocks that shot b4 it hits the b/b, good! After, bad! I'm not a gambling man but I do occassionally dabble when the odds are in my favor. The odds are in my favor that plays like this will be a GT more so then a good block.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Oh, and Rainmaker, please define for me what is the difference between counting the bucket 2 or 3, or awarding the bucket, 2 or 3?
The difference between counting the bucket, or awarding points? Sorry, if you can't see the difference clearly, I'm not the one to explain it. In the past, my explanations to you haven't been very helpful.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The difference between counting the bucket, or awarding points? Sorry, if you can't see the difference clearly, I'm not the one to explain it. In the past, my explanations to you haven't been very helpful.
This pretty much sums it all up does it not?

Peace
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 06:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're viewing this one dimensional, but we have another level here. Fact, the ball did hit the b/b first, fact, the defender touched the ball afterwards.
Fact, both of these facts are irrelevant to whether it's GT or not. But, it's a rule thing, so we don't really expect you to get it.
I still think you're smarter than this....
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're viewing this one dimensional, but we have another level here. Fact, the ball did hit the b/b first, fact, the defender touched the ball afterwards. I've been doing this way too long for you to trip me up this way. I can argue and support the fact that the ball was hit after it hit the b/b. Now, I'm not splitting the atom today. If you want someone with that type of precision then you don't want humans to referee the games, you want a computer.

Bottom line, if he blocks that shot b4 it hits the b/b, good! After, bad! I'm not a gambling man but I do occassionally dabble when the odds are in my favor. The odds are in my favor that plays like this will be a GT more so then a good block.

There is no gambling about it, it isn't playing the odds...it's knowing the darn rule and being good enough at what you do to see it, process it and make the judgment was it or wasn't it.

Obviously you don't know the rule...or even worse choose to ignore it...and you aren't good enough to just make the correct call based on what happened.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS BI GT Myths

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 07:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I still think you're smarter than this....
Wrong.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 07:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Bottom line, if he blocks that shot b4 it hits the b/b, good! After, bad!
Bottom line, JMO, you don't have a clue what the rule is or how the play should be called. As usual. You also still have that McGriff knack of getting everybody upset with you though. That's the mark of a consummate troll.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Bottom line: The forum should block Old School both before and after he contacts the board.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Bottom line: The forum should block Old School both before and after he contacts the board.
Oooo, a post that could be in this thread, or the pun thread! I like it!
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
There is no gambling about it, it isn't playing the odds...it's knowing the darn rule and being good enough at what you do to see it, process it and make the judgment was it or wasn't it.

Obviously you don't know the rule...or even worse choose to ignore it...and you aren't good enough to just make the correct call based on what happened.
Just a quick question, don't lose too much sleep thinking about it. You fans and coaches can clime in on this too. How many times have you seen the ball hit the b/b and later slapped by the defender and it not be called a GT? How many times?

Trapping the ball against the b/b is not the same thing. The ball clearly hit the b/b first and then it was block. My math is something like 9.999999 times out of ten. With that kind of results we can draw some meaningful conclusions. Understand, it is not a perfect 10, so in the .000001 percent of the time the ball actually hit the b/b and is still going up. I'll take that hit. If the margin of errors in my games is .000001 percent of the time. I'll take that. Now go ahead and show us all how anal you are about the details of the rules. And don't worry so much about me giving out bad information because I think that to the degree that you like to push things on this forum and in this profession. You will scare away any young intelligent mind, thinking about making this a career.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's legal for the ball to hit the b/b and still be going up, and not be a GT. I just don't think in the heat of battle I will be able to distinguish within a split-second that it will take me to rule on the play, if the ball was still going up or not afterwards, plus when I consider the numerical odds of it actually happening, well, you make the call and I hope you're right because if you are wrong. Would it be worth the gamble?

Have a nice evening....
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a quick question, don't lose too much sleep thinking about it. You fans and coaches can clime in on this too. How many times have you seen the ball hit the b/b and later slapped by the defender and it not be called a GT? How many times?

Trapping the ball against the b/b is not the same thing. The ball clearly hit the b/b first and then it was block. My math is something like 9.999999 times out of ten. With that kind of results we can draw some meaningful conclusions. Understand, it is not a perfect 10, so in the .000001 percent of the time the ball actually hit the b/b and is still going up. I'll take that hit. If the margin of errors in my games is .000001 percent of the time. I'll take that. Now go ahead and show us all how anal you are about the details of the rules. And don't worry so much about me giving out bad information because I think that to the degree that you like to push things on this forum and in this profession. You will scare away any young intelligent mind, thinking about making this a career.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it's legal for the ball to hit the b/b and still be going up, and not be a GT. I just don't think in the heat of battle I will be able to distinguish within a split-second that it will take me to rule on the play, if the ball was still going up or not afterwards, plus when I consider the numerical odds of it actually happening, well, you make the call and I hope you're right because if you are wrong. Would it be worth the gamble?

Have a nice evening....
I'm not sure I understand what your point is, and how you're trying to make that point. Or to be less polite, is this supposed to be a rational, logical contribution to the discussion? Because I have no clue what you are talking about.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'm not sure I understand what your point is, and how you're trying to make that point. Or to be less polite, is this supposed to be a rational, logical contribution to the discussion? Because I have no clue what you are talking about.
I think he is trying to debate the mathematical equation rather than admitting he does not know the rule. He did not even realize the rule was exactly the same at the HS and college levels, which for most experienced officials or officials that claim they work HS ball would know. Also if you are looking for an intelligent and cordial conversation, you are looking at the wrong person. Part of having an intelligent conversation requires you have knowledge of the topic.

Peace
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I understand it's legal for the ball to hit the b/b and still be going up, and not be a GT. I just don't think in the heat of battle I will be able to distinguish within a split-second that it will take me to rule on the play, ....
I think you can.
I think you can.
I think you can.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
AIt is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.
Sort of...

The player should still charged with basket interference if they are grasping the rim when the ball is on or in the basket. Protection from inury only eliminates the technical foul.