The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Aggie, are you an attorney? Or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Very well said.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 08:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Well, I wouldn't call them legal documents like I would, say, contracts or court documents, but reports ARE discoverable. The absolute best thing to do if you are worried about information coming out is to talk to a lawyer and let him write everything down. The other side for sure can't get to that based on the attorney client (and likely work product) privileges.
The point that I was trying to make is the fact that any report that you file can and will be used in a court of law or reviewed by a court as part of the record. Calling it a "legal" document might not be the actual phrase for how a report will be used, but it has been used on many occasions when these kinds of situations go to court. Just like a document filed in a business might be used to show all kinds of background on other types of court cases.

Peace
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 08:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz
I was working a high school AAU game this past weekend and 10 minutes into the game one kid pushed an opposing player to the floor, stood over him and pounded his face to a bloody pulp as he (the opposing player) was on his hands and knees.
If it was truely an AAU event. AAU has insurance and liability over this incident. Couple things different I would have done, or it sounds like it didn't get done. The player doing the fighting is ejected, #name in the book. If you didn't do this, then maybe something might come after you. Did you call the game? The team and the AAU will get sued, not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz
The weirdest thing was there was no indication of any problem before that point. No trash talking, no roughness and not any controversy.
I had one this past weekend, but I was able to see it coming, but I had to work at it to determine. What I mean is that the kids where talking to each other under their breath where we could not hear them. On the F/T lines, they where talking to each other again, but very softly. After one scored on the other, lot of soft talking. The only thing I needed to determine was if this conversation was pleasent or not. It took awhile and I started getting closer to the players to try to hear what was being said. Yea, we got a problem here and my partners didn't even know it. What ended up happening was late in the game, a open court foul, nothing bad here, I got the call. Before I could report, the kid that was foul, kicked the living sh!t out of the player that fouled him, which I ran in with a Flargrant Technical Foul, which the other kid retaliated with a shove of his own, now I got another Flagrant Technical foul, my first, and it was a double. So I ended up with a double flagrant technical foul, both parties ejected.

The story doesn't end. We get back to the game, which ended with no more controversy, but the underneath talking didn't stop. So when the game was over and they all went thru and shook each overs hand, now everybody grouped up and going back to their benches, the talking started again, and it was about to explore. I monitored the handshake, which is something I normally don't do. Afterwards, I immedately jumped into the center of both teams and told them to quite talking to each other, the game is over, go to your benches!!! My partners where on the other side of the court getting ready to leave, they didn't even know and maybe they didn't care. Once I got the teams separated, and everyone was headed towards there benches, backs to each other, I turned it over to the coaches and I got the hell out of there. As I was leaving, I had a couple of parents thank me for my efforts.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 09:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just a thought, but maybe you could have told them to quit the talking sooner.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 09:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Just a thought, but maybe you could have told them to quit the talking sooner.
I tried. I gave multiple warnings, I grab 2 players and told them to not talk to here other anymore, but the minute they lined up next to each other on the F/T line, there was a conversation going on. Since it was not obvious, no one suspected the worse except me. One other thing, you really can't give a technical to a player and you don't hear what he actually says, even if you suspect the worse. I guess I have never seen a group of players politely and softly go about it in the way that was done here, never, but my suspicion was confirmed.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, you can give them a T. It might be a case where you stop everything and warn them, if you so much as here "nice shot" directed to an opponent, it's a technical foul. Tell the coaches if you must.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 10:56am

Quote:
Yes, you can give them a T. It might be a case where you stop everything and warn them, if you so much as here "nice shot" directed to an opponent, it's a technical foul. Tell the coaches if you must.
Not going there Snaqs, maybe you will give a player a T for saying nice shot, but not me. That will never happen in my game. I'm not looking to overofficiate the game, just manage it, that's all. If the players are being polite to one another, that is what I want. However, the point here is to pay attention to the players. Get in there and listen if you have too. I have had games come down to F/T's and players on the line or directly behind the shooter, say things you would not believe, like if you make this shot, I'm going to kick your a$$. If you're standing way over there by the sideline, you will not even know a conversation is taken place. The OP didn't think something was wrong in his game. Well he was wrong and both him and his partner missed the signs from the players that something wasn't right.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

most games, you're right. But if you know they're trash talking, you have the right to step in and stop it; even if it's mumbling. Simply tell them and the coaches you know what's going on and that you're not going to tolerate it. By you're own admission, you didn't manage this game well. Maybe this game would have devolved no matter what, and there's no way it could have been managed well. If it's obvious to you that these kids aren't complimenting each other under their breath, make the call.
You have no way of judging the OPs game and whether or not he missed signs. Just because you didn't deal with the signs in your game doesn't mean he missed some in his. Sometimes, this stuff happens with no warning at all.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:02pm

Quote:
You have no way of judging the OPs game and whether or not he missed signs. Just because you didn't deal with the signs in your game doesn't mean he missed some in his. Sometimes, this stuff happens with no warning at all.
You sound like you have no managing skills whatsoever. I'm not saying the OP screwed up, I'm just saying if some kid gets his head beat in to the point of unconsiousness, and has to be rushed to the hospital, you didn't do your job very well as an official, period. If I'm the assigner, I'm probably not going to assign you anymore games, period. As far as my game. I did deal with it. I didn't turn my head like you and the rest. I didn't go wine to the coaches, your players are whistering to one another and I didn't bring BS into the game by calling unnecessary TF's. I dealt with it, I got thru it, and no ambulance needed to be called afterwards and even got thanked by several parents afterwards, not one. Now, deal with that!
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You sound like you have no managing skills whatsoever. I'm not saying the OP screwed up, I'm just saying if some kid gets his head beat in to the point of unconsiousness, and has to be rushed to the hospital, you didn't do your job very well as an official, period. If I'm the assigner, I'm probably not going to assign you anymore games, period.
That's complete and utter udder. The OP said that nothing previously had happened. What kind of job the official had done is not a factor in any way in this situation. And no assignor anywhere, including the rec leagues that you solely work, would ever lay any blame on to the official. If he tried doing that, he wouldn't have any officials left to assign anyway.

Why do you people waste your time arguing with this goober? He'll never change...or learn.

Last edited by mick; Thu May 17, 2007 at 02:52pm.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not saying the OP screwed up, I'm just saying if some kid gets his head beat in to the point of unconsiousness, and has to be rushed to the hospital, you didn't do your job very well as an official, period.
You've had some real weird posts in your short history here. This, however, might just take the cake.

I don't give a monkey's arm pit if the parents offered to take you out for dinner and pay for your college. It's irrelevant.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

AAu does have some governing authority and I think they would want to know about this at one of their tournaments. I'd like to hope this player (the hitter) would not be allowed back.

TexasAggie said; "Its likely they won't be able to find out who you are by the time the attorney gets around to filing this thing, if that happens at all"
I don't think they will have much trouble figuring that out if they want to know.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 01:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's complete and utter udder. The OP said that nothing previously had happened.
Nothing that he recognized. He better hope there's not any film of this, because if there is, and it shows negilence. He could be in trouble. Again, if it is truly an AAU event, then he is protected by the AAU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What kind of job the official had done is not a factor in any way in this situation.
Tell that to the parents or mad coaches. It's one thing to have a punch thrown, it's an entirely different thing to have a fight go on an on, one kid down on the floor while another kid is punching him to death. To me, that seems like the officials where negilent in their duties. That's all I'm saying and I'm not mad at the OP. Snaqs constant challenging of what I say bought that out. I was not trying to go there, but the fact of the matter is, anything can go wrong in the game, how you react to it is important.

Last edited by mick; Thu May 17, 2007 at 02:49pm.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Tell that to the parents or mad coaches.
Will you ever get it through your rec league-centered brain that it doesn't matter one damn bit what the damn parents or coaches think? We don't officiate for parents or coaches. The only people that worry about what parents or coaches think are the Old Schools of the world, nor real officials.

Stupid monkeys....
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, that seems like the officials where negilent in their duties.
What are the official's duties in a fight?

How were the officials in this case negligent?

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread