The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

FED BALL R1 ON 1B ONE OUT BATTER STRIKES OUT R1 ATTEMPTS STEAL ON THROW TO SECOND BALL HITS BAT THIS SITUATION WAS GIVEN TO ME BY A FRIEND I SAID DEAD BALLPUT THE RUNNER BACK ON 1b
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Where was the batter at the time the thrown ball hit the bat? Need to know this for possible interference on the batter. If there was no interference on the batter, would you penalize the offence for a poor throw by the defense by killing the ball and putting R1 back on 1st? I'm thinking "no", I've got nothing but a stolen base. But it's pretty early here on a Saturday morning with no coffee yet, so I could be wrong!

[Edited by pollywolly60 on Aug 23rd, 2003 at 06:46 AM]
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

batter hit w/ throw

I'm new to Fed, but my guess after looking at the RB and CB is there are two options:

(1) if the batter remained in the box and made no movement to hinder the throw, we have no call and a stolen base.

(2) if the batter did not remain in the box or otherwise made movements to hinder the throw (e.g. re-establishes her position after F2 receives the pitch), the BATTER is out and the runner is put back to 1B.

Rule 7-3-5, Case book play 7.3.5.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: batter hit w/ throw

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap

(2) if the batter did not remain in the box or otherwise made movements to hinder the throw (e.g. re-establishes her position after F2 receives the pitch), the BATTER is out and the runner is put back to 1B.

Rule 7-3-5, Case book play 7.3.5.
Since the batter was already retired on the strike out, you are just going to ignore the interference by returning the runner to 1B?

Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Tap,
The batter is already out on the strikeout. If it is interference, you've got to put the runner out due to interference by an already retired player.

Steve M
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

The key piece of information to make the call is missing - where was the batter (assuming the bat was still in her hands)?

There is no ruling that would result in dead ball, runner returnes in this situation.

Batter still in the box & doing nothing intentional to interfere with the throw - live ball, play on, stolen base.

Batter out of the box or intentionally interfering with the throw - dead ball, runner out on interference by the retired batter.

If the batter had not been out already, it would be dead ball, batter out, runner returns.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

PS, allancru, not using all caps and using some punctuation makes things a LOT easier to read with just a LITTLE effort on your part.

Is doing this so hard?
Quote:
Fed ball. R1 on 1B, one out. Batter strikes out. R1 attempts steal on throw to second. Ball hits bat.
This situation was given to me by a friend. I said dead ball, put the runner back on 1B.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
[B]PS, allancru, not using all caps and using some punctuation makes things a LOT easier to read with just a LITTLE effort on your part.

Not to mention, e-etiquette demands it unless the poster is "HOLLERING" or "SCREAMING" at the recipients.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Aug 23rd, 2003 at 09:16 AM]
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Oops. I misred -- or read to quickly running out the door -- and didn't realize that the batter had been retired. My bad.