The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:26pm
In Memoriam

Coach's Behavior

Interesting story on a goofball coach in Ohio......

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/loc...2-e2fd4c770b48

Apparently, taking a swipe at an official and then challenging him to a fight later is no big deal to either the coach or his principal. Imagine what this coach might have done if his team had lost the game instead of winning it.

Sad!

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.wcpo.com/mediacenter/loca...video.wcpo.com

To the right of the video look for "category"; open up the drop-down. Look for iteam and click on that- check "A Case Of Coach's Bad Behavior".

Thoughts?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:44pm
Administrator

JR:

I got a kick out of the coach's apology. He apologized for talking to the official. He did not apologize for what he actually said. As a OhioHSAA registered official, I am not suprised that this kind of conduct occurs and that there are athletic directors like this one that condone the coach's behavior. The coaches and athletic directors run the show in the OhioHSAA and officials are treated as fourth class citizens.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thoughts?

HS basketball is rotten with these types. From middle school up through varsity. Extends into post HS as well.

Nothing surprises me about the behavior of these animals.

Also...that coach might consider skipping lunch every once in a while.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

That coach is a joke and so is his "apology". If I was in that association, I would work to get the members to boycott working that school's games. Maybe then, someone will take that coach's deplorable actions seriously.

BTW - great comments from Chris Collinsworth.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
As a OhioHSAA registered official, I am not suprised that this kind of conduct occurs and that there are athletic directors like this one that condone the coach's behavior. The coaches and athletic directors run the show in the OhioHSAA and officials are treated as fourth class citizens.
Mark, from talking to other Ohio officials, that seems to be the consensus. Now, with regards to this specific official....or maybe a similar case....is this going to rebound on an official who had the balls to speak put against this type of behavior? Career-wise with regards to officiating, is this going to hurt his chances to get future assignments, playoffs, etc.?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark, from talking to other Ohio officials, that seems to be the consensus. Now, with regards to this specific official....or maybe a similar case....is this going to rebound on an official who had the balls to speak put against this type of behavior? Career-wise with regards to officiating, is this going to hurt his chances to get future assignments, playoffs, etc.?
Disclaimer: I don't live in Ohio, but just my thoughts

I would imagine that there would be some sort of reprimand, probably just a warning of some sort, from the OhioHSAA, especially since he discussed it with the media before the OhioHSAA finished up their investigation.

Do I think it should affect the official? Absolutely not

Do I think it will affect the official? I have a feeling, at least for the next couple of years, he'll be "that official," and for that reason alone, he may not see many upper-level playoff games. Maybe some first round stuff, but nothing that the media would get a hold of and say, oh, look this is the same guy that got attacked and got that coach fired (which is what should happen).
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

JR:

Yes, it will most likely rebound on him. Coaches will stick together and make sure that assignors do not assign him games and the coaches will give him low ratings for tournament assignments. It is legal for coaches and athletic directors to tell assignors who they can and cannot assign to games because schools have the final say so as to who officiates its home games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
I would imagine that there would be some sort of reprimand, probably just a warning of some sort, from the OhioHSAA, especially since he discussed it with the media before the OhioHSAA finished up their investigation.
Apparently there is a rule in the Ohio officials handbook that says officials shouldn't comment to the media.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Yes, it will most likely rebound on him. Coaches will stick together and make sure that assignors do not assign him games and the coaches will give him low ratings for tournament assignments. It is legal for coaches and athletic directors to tell assignors who they can and cannot assign to games because schools have the final say so as to who officiates its home games.
Yup, another Ohio official has already told me that. Apparently in this particular league the coaches can nominate who they want and also scratch who they want. That is just one ridiculous system imo.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:54am
In Memoriam

More information.....

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...S01/305100047/

Both parties were to blame and no further action to be taken.

Cinci is a tough town to work in, by the sound of it.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:48am
Official & Member

It is amazing to me that the school board is allowing this to be settled in this manner. This coach's behavior is going to be EVEN WORSE now. He'll think he's untouchable. He'll eventually be brought up on assault charges when he LOSES a close one and just takes a swing at an official.

The other thing that puzzles me is how they came to the conclusion that the official shares some responsibility. What no one in authority seems to want to admit is that it was solely the coach's action that brought this situation to the forefront. Without his actions, there is no story.

Pretty sad commentary overall on the sportsmanship in this area.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri May 11, 2007 at 08:50am.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

I am constantly amazed at how people in positions of authority will stick their head in the sand to avoid controversy...taking the easy way out seems to be the norm now. Just the other day local tv and newspapers released a story and video of a kid getting beat up in a HS bathroom - the idiots put it on youtube. Now 4 of them face assault chargs...the interesting and shocking thing to me were the comments from the HS Principal who said -not a direct quote -
This has nothing to do with me or my job. It happened after school so it has nothing to do with me. Am I worried about it? Am I going to do anything different from now on? Does this affect my job? No to all of those things.

I just sat there and shook my head...pretty much the same response to reading what OHSAA had to say...
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Totally Disgusted

My Take:

1. In a close game like this the senior administrator on duty (Athletic Director or Principal) should have ordered security to the baseline where officials leave the floor and enter its locker room. In an especially close game where tensions are high and the officials have a long walk to their vehicles security should stay with them until the engine starts and they pull out of the parking lot. IF this is done then it is highly unlikely that the incident occurs.

This incident occurred however and punishment needs to be addressed!

2. I believe that the following needs to happen
A. A letter of reprimand needs to be placed in this coach's personnel file!
B. The coach should be suspended for next season!
C. He must write an full length apology letter to the OHSAA,Game Officials, and his school!
D. After suspension this coach must spend ALL of the next season under observation from referees and OHSAA officials. ONE bad incident report and he should not only be fired but banned from HS coaching in Ohio.If this becomes necessary what are the chances that anyone would hire this guy again in any other state? Absolutely Zero!

Chris Collinsworth's comments were very insightful and brilliant.
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 05:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
D. After suspension this coach must spend ALL of the next season under observation from referees and OHSAA officials. ONE bad incident report and he should not only be fired but banned from HS coaching in Ohio.If this becomes necessary what are the chances that anyone would hire this guy again in any other state? Absolutely Zero!
Bobby Knight
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 06:14am

And they won the game!

Got a problem here. Although this incident is very bad and I really think the worse of what must have transpired at that confrontation after the game. However, from an officials prospective, this game is not over. If a coach runs at me after the game like that, and I'm assuming this was a one point game. Unsportsmanlike Technical foul on the coach, and then he gives me the finger, there's another one.

Guess what? You make that call and that will get the attention of the A/D and principle more so then the latter, and that's really unfortunate. But we have become the old Romain Empire where sports is more important than being an adult, and it is supported by the people in control. Win at all cost.

Now here is the part I don't like about our job and I have had this happen in other parts of my business life. Because the official did not access a technical at that point in time. He errored. It's that simple. Now the coach does something wrong after the fact. Two wrongs. Both guys made mistakes, we'll call it even. That's what it sounds like to me.

Personally, I think 2 people who are in the position of authority here, should not be in this position. The prinicple and the A/D. They are not qualified to have that job, but we have seen this before. The football brawl and the Dean at Florida State or was it Florida, don't recall. Last, if the coach is this out of control with authority figures, I kringe to think what he might do with one of those kids he coaches. Unbelievable story! BTW, the coach has contacted a lawyer, and is under the advise of the attorney. That muks it all up and maybe why this story has taken the turn that it has.

Where does it end?????