The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

First before the question, I have to set up the situation.

This is a championship game in a top notch tournament between two top rank schools in the state. The game is being officiated by three D-1 officials.

Late in the 4th team A goes on a 6-0 run going up by 2, team B calls a time out B1 has the ball on the base line, as he is walking to his bench he makes contact with A1 and fore arms him to the floor. Seeing this A2 comes over and steps near B1. Immediately a T is givin to A2 and Team A coach goes crazy because he can't believe a T wasn't given to B1.

This is A2's fifth foul and he is out of the game. Now the rub, as time is taken team A coach goes to A2 and goes off on him while they are standing for about 10 seconds. They sit down and he walks away and comes right back at A2 in his face using every word in the book and then some and the place is quiet and it is pack with people. Officials, administrators, counselors everyone is at this game. But he doesn't let up he stays on him for the entire timeout, you can feel the tense, for there is this feeling he is going to hit the kid.

My question, what is the official stand on this. No harm no foul, write a report, talk with coach, warn coach, T-coach, let go and turn your head. Is there any thing a official can do or should he do anything. No I am not second guessing the officials for I know all three of the guys well, but that is a kid and somebody's child sitting there as this coach goes off on him. Now I must say this if that was my kid sitting there it would have been an incident in the stadium and I would have probally been thrown out but to sit there and watch a grown man do this to a child was torture. Thanks appreciate the input.

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Same-old, same-old....

From last year's obviously ignored NFHS POE....

POE 4C: INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE.
"The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship.
The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language. Players are not permitted to 'let off steam' by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official".

You can lead a horse to water....

The officials screwed up twice- unfortunately.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing funny about this one. I hate to see an adult lay into a kid like this. Now knowing the Language Rule better....I'd use the whistle in a heartbeat. Then the Coach can yell at himself for causing the second "T".
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Been some interesting threads last two weeks along these lines.

Fighting between TEAM-Mates
Foul language and Taunting towards TEAM-Mates
Etc, Etc.

Game management. There are ample rules referenced in these treads that dictate our role in creating a sporting and worthy environment.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Same-old, same-old....

From last year's obviously ignored NFHS POE....

POE 4C: INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE.
"The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship.
The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language. Players are not permitted to 'let off steam' by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official".

You can lead a horse to water....

The officials screwed up twice- unfortunately.
From this year's obviously ingored NFHS POE ....

POE 1B. Time-outs:
When a team goes on a scoring run, emotions often run high. Nationwide, there is an apparent increase in bench personnel running out onto the court after a time-out is whistled. Typically, the bench personnel of the team that has gained momentum run out onto the court to celebrate and congratulate their teammates. The other team's players, heading toward their bench area, often cross with the celebrating team. This situation often leads to bumping, pushing and/or taunting.

Coaches must make sure that bench personnel remain in the team bench area (1-12-3) after a time-out is called. Officials must be aware of the potential for confrontation, use preventive officiating techniques and penalize appropriately.

Granted, this situation didn't necessarily involve bench personnel, but I think the crossing of teams to their bench areas for a time-out should be a "dead-ball" area that gets full attention. Even by three D-1 officials.