The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told that this coming season I will be given a few varsity games to call and look forward to it all ready. I am interested in hearing about how much leinanacy is given to coaches on the sideline reagrding stepping out onto the field to coach in-between plays. Is this something that is up to each LJ nad H, is it something that is discussed normally in pre-game, or is the best advice to keep the coaches on the white and off the green. Also, what about the rule regarding only having 3 coaches in the box at one time? I would like to set a standard early on with the coaches and be consistent in how I treat them regarding this.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do Fed ball so can't comment on what that code permits or does not but IMHO, if you are going to be stepping on to a varsity field for the 1st time you have plenty of more important stuff you should be concerning yourself with.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
while their are other things he should be worrying about, this is a biggie also. Game management is very important, my rule of thumb is to keep them off the field i wont make a big deal out of it though unless he is getting in my way or is becoming a pain in the butt.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

This was a point of emphasis in Georgia last year. They wanted us to concentrate more on keeping coaches in the box and off the field. They rarely mentioned the 3 in the box rule.

Here's how most of the WHs in my association handle it:

If they're coaching, a few steps on the field isn't hurting anyone as long as they're out of the way. If they're stepping on the field a couple steps to complain, they'll be told to back up and if they don't will receive the sideline warning. It's kinda like the coaches box in basketball. If they're coaching, a few steps outside of the box isn't hurting anything. Complaining is relegated to the box. The three in the box rule is pretty much ignored unless it gets really crowded.

I worked with WH last season that is INCREDIBLY picky about the sidelines, and as such he didn't want 1/2 of a toe on the green. I didn't like it, but I do what I'm told.

I think it's best to meet with your crew, and talk about and decide how THAT CREW will handle the sidelines. That way you're not giving more to one sideline on the other.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I have been told that this coming season I will be given a few varsity games to call and look forward to it all ready. I am interested in hearing about how much leinanacy is given to coaches on the sideline reagrding stepping out onto the field to coach in-between plays. Is this something that is up to each LJ nad H, is it something that is discussed normally in pre-game, or is the best advice to keep the coaches on the white and off the green. Also, what about the rule regarding only having 3 coaches in the box at one time? I would like to set a standard early on with the coaches and be consistent in how I treat them regarding this.
From what I have picked up reading the board, it makes a difference in how the coaches are in different areas. I agree with a couple of the others in saying that if they are coaching, calling plays, off the field during plays, and not getting in your way, I really don’t think you worry about it. Now if your association, or state dictates, “no coaches on the field at all” or something like that, I would assume the coaches are aware of that and oblige, or they know they would get flagged. In our area, we really do not have a problem with the coaches getting out of line on the field. Remember the intent of this rule is to have them not get in the way of your officiating and safety reasons. If they are not on the field during a play, then safety is not an issue. Use common sense with sideline management. Have good communicators on your wings, listen, give numbers of fouling players, explain penalties to the coaches if needed, and all will go well.

TXMike had great advice about focusing on your responsibilities on the field. Use common sense with the coaches, know your responsibilities, communicate in a professional and knowledgeable way with coaches, and you will be fine. Good luck!!!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I'll add that I'm a little more lenient with coaches on the field on the offensive side of the ball (where I'm not likely to run) than on the downfield or defensive side of the ball (where I AM likely to run, often without looking for coaches). Usually the first time a coach walks on the field on the downfield side, if he doesn't get off the field immediately, I'll calmly ask the coach if he can coach from either the sideline or the offense's side of the ball so I don't run into him. Most coaches get that, and don't come on the field downfield of me after that (or if they do, they get right off.)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

It really depends on your area, it is hard if you are the only one strictly enforcing it and everyone else isn't.

In my area it is enforced and I am a total nazi about it, I take a peak after every play. Hit them with the sideline warning early, if you don't do it in the first half don't bother trying to do it with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter because it is too late.

Although it can be up to the HL/LJ it really is up to the crew, both wings should be consistent in how they are enforcing the box. If one is being strict and the other one has 7 coaches in the box, the one coach is going to complain.

Also I haven't had any problems with coaches coming on the field, but if a coach were to step on the field to yell or somthing I probably wouldn't say anything but I do not want them on the field during play, it is mainly for my own saftey.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I recommend erring on the side of being strict. 'round here, enforcement is pretty lax, and I never realized what I was missing until I did a JV game last season for a small school - they had maybe half a dozen kids and one coach on the sideline. I had all the space in the world to back up on plays to my sideline, and it was so nice to not be right on top of things. So I guess there are two lessons here: (a) keep your sidelines clear as best you can, and (b) stay back, stay back, and stay back. Nine times out of ten, wide angle on the play is vastly better than a close-up view.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

I always work the wings and if a coach tends to treat me with respect I tend to be a little less hard on them as far as the sideline goes BUT ONLY the sideline NEVER will I tolerate a coach in my way while I am trying to do the job I am being paid for.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

During the 2004 HS season here in Alexandria, LA, one of the coaches actually let an assistant go because of "conduct not benefitting the team, school, and the game"

Imagine that.

Not all coaches are devious.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefgil
During the 2004 HS season here in Alexandria, LA, one of the coaches actually let an assistant go because of "conduct not benefitting the team, school, and the game"

For getting a sideline warning? WOW!!! Imagine that.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
Quote:
Originally posted by chiefgil

For getting a sideline warning? WOW!!! Imagine that.
REPLY: My cynical nature says the head coach had another unspoken reason for dropping the assistant, but used this episode as a "crutch."
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Enforcement in my area is extremely lax.

The problem I have with lax enforcement is how in the world does a wingman truly work the sidelines if you have to look and move around the coaches. Ideally, a wing should have a full view of the sideline to enable watching for the foot in or out and other such sideline calls.