Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 02:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jinx
No I'm not a fanboy & I'm not up everyone's *** who wears stripes either. I am however one of the best young officials I know(just ask me I'll tell you) don't believe me e-mail me & i'll send you my schedule for this year. Come out & watch someone who wants to get it right, not get in the way & LOVES OFFICIATING GAMES!!!

Fanboy...LOL your a JOKE!!! Grow some & stop making excuses for everyone wearing stripes, YOU MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD!!!
Sigh....

Not one post ever about officiating, rules, or mechanics- in either football or basketball. Every post made to date is simply dumping on officials.

Methinks we got ourselves another 14-year old troll here, showing up just to bother the real officials.

Why don't you post your college schedule, fanboy?
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Or your varsity schedule for that matter.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

IMO Joey's biggest mistake was his target that night. I am official an a fan of the NBA (one of the few among my peers). Tim Duncan is poster child for the NBA, an rightfully so. The NBA is mired in on an off court problems with is players and there image. I obviously don't know Mr Duncan personally, but he seems like a very likable individual who plays the game the right way, and conducts himself in a way we can all appreciate on and off the court. If this happens with the likes of a Rasheed Wallace or someone like that this is probably not as big of an issue. Maybe he's suspended for a few games, but the reaction as it were might be different. If anyone caught the interview on 60 Minutes a while back with his brother and father you would truly see the passion he has for the game. I think there is a lesson here for all of us, both on, and off the court. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, Joey will see his error for what was, and return to the NBA.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just another reason to not watch the NBA anymore anyway imo.
Agreed...as if another reason was really necessary in the first place.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I'm not a fanboy & I'm not up everyone's *** who wears stripes either. I am however one of the best young officials I know(just ask me I'll tell you) don't believe me e-mail me & i'll send you my schedule for this year. Come out & watch someone who wants to get it right, not get in the way & LOVES OFFICIATING GAMES!!!

Fanboy...LOL your a JOKE!!! Grow some & stop making excuses for everyone wearing stripes, YOU MAKE US ALL LOOK BAD!!!

what association are you with? i am sure we can get to the bottom of this truth/lie pretty easy.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Fanboy...LOL your a JOKE!!!
His a joke?
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Sigh....

Not one post ever about officiating, rules, or mechanics- in either football or basketball. Every post made to date is simply dumping on officials.

Methinks we got ourselves another 14-year old troll here, showing up just to bother the real officials.

Yeah, I wish I was 14 ! No college schedule, just high school. I'm a varsity official and I admit I am a "fan" of the Spurs (not a fanatic). I try to look at games objectively. Being "just" a high school official, I read much more than I post because I try to learn from officials who are better than I am. I wasn't dumping on Crawford. I don't like the fact that he was suspended for making a mistake. I make mistakes too. Apparently many of you on the forum are perfect. You are the ones I want to learn from.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Yeah, I wish I was 14 ! No college schedule, just high school. I'm a varsity official and I admit I am a "fan" of the Spurs (not a fanatic). I try to look at games objectively. Being "just" a high school official, I read much more than I post because I try to learn from officials who are better than I am. I wasn't dumping on Crawford. I don't like the fact that he was suspended for making a mistake. I make mistakes too. Apparently many of you on the forum are perfect. You are the ones I want to learn from.
Uhmmm...unless you are posting under both dave30 and CoachJinx, you need to dake a deep breath and slow down here...the only one being disparaged for being a fanboy in this thread is Jinxie-poo. The specific comments you replied to here were a direct reply to Jinxed-up...not sure why you're getting your tail all bunched up here...
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting ESPN article

Here's an interesting article by Pat Forde on ESPN.com. It also has video for the incident as well as interviews. Also, Duncan just got fined $25,000 for what he said either during or after the ejection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...pat&id=2840227
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I just said I wish I was 14. He got the same replies I got before when I criticized the officials. I don't like being called a fanboy. He probably doesn't either. How do we know whether or not he is an official? Just answer his questions.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
I just said I wish I was 14. He got the same replies I got before when I criticized the officials. I don't like being called a fanboy. He probably doesn't either. How do we know whether or not he is an official? Just answer his questions.
What questions???
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Sigh....

Hi Jurassic

I guess the basketball Forum has it's share of "flame wars" also.

It's a shame because the thread about Joey Crawford should have been titled something along the lines of "how is a Professional official Defined"

It's unfortunate in BIG Time sports that no matter how good of an official you are, you get noted for the ONE BAD call that you made.

We saw this in baseball as well.

Don Denkinger was an excellent baseball official as voted by the coaches and his peers, yet he will be simply be remembered for the Bad call he made in the KC / Cardinals World Series many years back. He received death threats, etc.

Another NBA official that is noted for ONE call that comes to mind is Hugh Holands. To this day the Knicks Bulls series of that era is noted as the "Hugh Hoands" call. I believe the call was on Scotty Pippen of the Bulls at the end of the game.

I do not think we can compare what we do whether you officiate football, basketball or baseball to the PRO level.

The PRO Game is about BIG TIME money - PERIOD. My gut tells me if Joey Crawford "dumped" Joe Smo who hardly sees action, it would have been a non issue, but it was Tim Duncan.

The same would be true of any Official who throws out a star player.

Hopefully after Commissioner Stern is finished with the investigation we will know the REAL truth as to what happened.

See you on the "other side"

Pete Booth
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:11pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Hi Jurassic

I guess the basketball Forum has it's share of "flame wars" also.

It's a shame because the thread about Joey Crawford should have been titled something along the lines of "how is a Professional official Defined"

It's unfortunate in BIG Time sports that no matter how good of an official you are, you get noted for the ONE BAD call that you made.

We saw this in baseball as well.

Don Denkinger was an excellent baseball official as voted by the coaches and his peers, yet he will be simply be remembered for the Bad call he made in the KC / Cardinals World Series many years back. He received death threats, etc.

Another NBA official that is noted for ONE call that comes to mind is Hugh Holands. To this day the Knicks Bulls series of that era is noted as the "Hugh Hoands" call. I believe the call was on Scotty Pippen of the Bulls at the end of the game.

I do not think we can compare what we do whether you officiate football, basketball or baseball to the PRO level.

The PRO Game is about BIG TIME money - PERIOD. My gut tells me if Joey Crawford "dumped" Joe Smo who hardly sees action, it would have been a non issue, but it was Tim Duncan.

The same would be true of any Official who throws out a star player.

Hopefully after Commissioner Stern is finished with the investigation we will know the REAL truth as to what happened.

See you on the "other side"

Pete Booth
Yes, Pete, most of us certainly do have a fairly low tolerance when it comes to whining fanboys and pseudo officials. They'll never understand that it's never a matter of blindly backing up an official's call, right or wrong; it's more a matter of not tolerating the questioning of an official's integrity while questioning the call. I always thought that Don Denkinger was one of the best MLB arbiters going. Yup, he made a bad call, and he also had the terrible luck of making it at the worst possible time too. The same call in August in a nothing game basically gets ignored. Hell, I loved watching Richie Garcia work. He evolved from a young hothead into an umpire that really knew how to control tough situations. That didn't help Richie either. His legacy will always be that fan interference missed call in Yankee Stadium...unfortunately. Fanboys forget that officials in any sport are human and are going to blow one occasionally. The problem with some of the ones that come here is that they also want to assign motives to the missed call instead of just saying "Hey, he blew one". They'll never understand that no one will ever feel worse than the guy who finds out that he really did screw up a call. I sureasheck know the feeling.

The problem here is we really can't discuss these types of situations without the "Coach Jinx' of the world showing up.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Yes, Pete, most of us certainly do have a fairly low tolerance when it comes to whining fanboys and pseudo officials. They'll never understand that it's never a matter of blindly backing up an official's call, right or wrong; it's more a matter of not tolerating the questioning of an official's integrity while questioning the call. I always thought that Don Denkinger was one of the best MLB arbiters going. Yup, he made a bad call, and he also had the terrible luck of making it at the worst possible time too. The same call in August in a nothing game basically gets ignored. Hell, I loved watching Richie Garcia work. He evolved from a young hothead into an umpire that really knew how to control tough situations. That didn't help Richie either. His legacy will always be that fan interference missed call in Yankee Stadium...unfortunately. Fanboys forget that officials in any sport are human and are going to blow one occasionally. The problem with some of the ones that come here is that they also want to assign motives to the missed call instead of just saying "Hey, he blew one". They'll never understand that no one will ever feel worse than the guy who finds out that he really did screw up a call. I sureasheck know the feeling.

The problem here is we really can't discuss these types of situations without the "Coach Jinx' of the world showing up.
Very well put JR. After reading this thread all day, I really didn't know where I stood, or what I could learn from what Joey Crawford did. After reading your last post it reminded me that I've been in this situation, and probably so has everyone on here that loves this "avocation" and is very passionate for this game. We've been in a very heated and emotional moment during a game, and even though we are trained not to be emotional during this time, WE ARE HUMAN. Now, I have about 1/5 of the time on the court then Joey Crawford does, and I'm not dealing with no where near the stress levels that an NBA official goes through, during the game and AFTER the game. I went to my first college camp this weekend, and I pick the ACC camp to go to. The stress that I thought I went through, constantly on the run for 32 minutes in a game, 3-4 games a day, with 25 year D-I Final Four officials and NCAA Tourney officials critiquing every call or missed call takes it's toll on a person, and this was just one weekend. With today's technology, I know for a fact that the NBA officials, and D1 college officials are so closely scrutinized to the point where they have a DVD of their game waiting for them when they get back to the locker room, and their supervisor has one the next day. When you look at a corporate america job, we get evaluated yearly, and sometimes bi-annually. I would love for one of these fanboys and/or coaches to be scrutinzed on their jobs every day, like these officials are every game. Coaches gets passes or the "5-year" plan to get their program together. Officials careers can be made or lost on a call made on any given night. I guess you just put things into perspective when you deal with some of these guys who come on here to complain, and to think some of them are "us" officials. I for one would think what the hell is JR thinking, can't he see that this referee blew it?? Thanks for the post and for helping me to reflect of what I am and where I've been in my short career in this sport.

Sorry for the long post, and it probably has a ton of grammatical errors.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

This post won't be popular with the old guys.

What's the aveage length of an NBA career for the top players? It is my belief that the officials shouldn't be around much longer than that. Joey has other issues with his personality which have landed him in trouble in the past as well as this time, but I also have to believe that his being in the league for 29 years, which is more than enough, is part of the problem. It seems that when people do something for so many years they lose perspective and get too high on themselves.

It is time for Joey and Bavetta to go.

The NBA should consider putting in a cap of 15 or 20 years for officials.
Closed Thread