The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

12U A state tournament. I'm PU. Line drive to the side of F1's head. Ball deflects off her shoulder into the 1B dugout. F1 goes down, is laying on the ground grabbing her head, crying. I declare dead ball (both for serious injury and ball out of play - take your pick). BR continues to 2B. Defensive coaching staff & many team members clustered around F1 tending to her.

Offensive coach (3B coach) yells for a ruling on where BR should be. I ignore him (plenty of time for that) as I watch to see if the girl will be OK. He continues to ask. After the third time, I tell him.

What sensitivity, coach!
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

A pure class act

Some coaches really disgust me sometimes.

-Josh
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it sad how focused people get on sports. Don't get me wrong I love to win in anything I do, but how can someone be more worried about placement of a runner than the poor F1 with a shot taken to the head? Especially when the ball went out of play, so it was a dead ball call anyway!! It's just sad the way some people react, I wish there were video camera's at all games and you could sit the coaches down and make them watch themselves!!!! I bet there would be some red faces!! We had a guy coaching Rec league ball that was a preacher in a neighbofing town, he has gotten thrown out of at least 2 games that I know of in the last 2 years for arguing with umpires, he has made several rude comments to players, coaches and umpires. I have thought several times what his congregation would think if a game film was played on Sunday morning with him in his "game" mode. Might be interesting!
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I presume by your lack of any additional information, that F1 was OK afterwards. I am hoping that is the case. That is not a criticism, I just figured if she were seriously hurt you would have told us that.
Not being insensitive here, when all was said and done, what base did B/R end up on after your call?
Just curious because I am VERY quick to call dead ball when a player is injured like that ( and of course you had the ball end up in DBT ), so I like to know how others handle their placement of runners afterwards.

Also . . . . . .
If it had not ended up in DBT, where would you have placed the B/R?
thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm quick, too

Tony,
I'm quick to kill it too, especially on any kind of blow to the head.

I almost always give everyone two bases from time of the pitch. Only time I might give more is if it's two outfielders at the fence. Only time I might give one is if it's in the infield.

In the scenario described, ball caromed immediately to DBT, 2 bases on those.

Shots to other body parts I will generally let things play out.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, she was OK. She left the game, but she came back to pitch later in the day.

Ruling was "ground rule double" (so-called) - batted ball deflected out of play.

If the ball had remained in playable territory, it would have been umpire judgment on the base the BR would have acheived (probably the same result).
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]

If the ball had remained in playable territory, it would have been umpire judgment on the base the BR would have acheived (probably the same result). [/B]

Good call either way Tom. Glad the young'un wasn't hurt badly. I sometimes start snifflin' when that happens!
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

With this sort of injury , I would call dead ball and this is where the play stops .
All runners go back to last legal base touched .
All I am concerned about , as I am sure all of you are , is the injured player so I dont have a clue where the ball is or where the runners are .
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Yes, she was OK. She left the game, but she came back to pitch later in the day.

Ruling was "ground rule double" (so-called) - batted ball deflected out of play.

If the ball had remained in playable territory, it would have been umpire judgment on the base the BR would have acheived (probably the same result).
Had similar play this weekend. Line drive off pitcher's mask. (Thanks god she was wearing it.)
Ball went to 3rd base side of diamond. Time was immediately called. Left batter at 1B,
no argument from anyone. (18U's)

See more and more pitches utilizing the mask now, which is good.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Great to hear she was OK.
Also enjoyed hearing that others understand the game is still about the safety of the players. I appreciate hearing the responses for placement of players after the incidents occur. I have only had one coach argue because he wanted a critical run to score as a result of the hit and hit player. It was a long shot she would have scored ( in my opinion ), so I left her at 3rd. The coach danced a little bit with me, but he left without my having to threaten ejection.
The old " what if it was your player . . . ?" always seems to work in these situations.

Thanks to all
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
16U PONY tournament...I have the plate...P takes a liner that just glances off the top of her head,she goes down of course,and I of course kill the ball...turns out shes OK,but leaves the game of course. About two innings later, the opposing coach asks her coach how she is doing..is she still dizzy..coach replies: "She's 16 and shes blonde...what do you think??" ...
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I had a U16 3rd baseman dive for a ball and slide her head into a metal fence post. I killed the play (she held on to the ball). I was very concerned and actually reached the girl first. She was helped off the field and I am still pretty shaken up because it looked bad.

We finally work to get started and the next batter asks the catcher "Do you think she'll be OK?" The catcher says "Aw hell, she hits her head harder than that on headboard".
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Now that thar's funny.
ROFLMAO

(How would the catcher know?)

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.