The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Don't give the heave-ho. I don't care whether it riles anyone up or not, but it isn't appropriate. The only time you want to give signals that aren't "approved" is when its going to help you -- assuming you are going to give them at all; I usually don't but there are very limited exceptions. The heave-ho isn't going to help.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I called 2 in 8 seasons, the signal I used was pointing to the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. Although I have seen many variations of pointing to the door LOL
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you're going to point, point to the bench instead of the door.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've used the pointed finger in the air circular motion (ala SWAT commander telling his team to circle up) then a little touche' point to the left upper bleacher area, after my held fist in the air.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're going to point, point to the bench instead of the door.
And why the bench? A Flagrant foul if is used in nature of violent or savage act is an automatic disqualification, and indirect technical to the bench..
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
And why the bench? A Flagrant foul if is used in nature of violent or savage act is an automatic disqualification, and indirect technical to the bench..
Point to the bench (if you insist on pointing) because that's where the player will be heading. You cannot have him removed from the gym for a flagrant foul. Pointing to the door sends the message that he has to leave the confines, and that sets you up for more trouble.
I don't know of any level where a fighting flagrant is also charged indirectly to anyone on the bench. The only time this happens is if someone comes off the bench to get this T, but that's it and it being flagrant has no effect on whether it's charged indirectly to the HC or not.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point to the bench (if you insist on pointing) because that's where the player will be heading. You cannot have him removed from the gym for a flagrant foul. Pointing to the door sends the message that he has to leave the confines, and that sets you up for more trouble.
I don't know of any level where a fighting flagrant is also charged indirectly to anyone on the bench. The only time this happens is if someone comes off the bench to get this T, but that's it and it being flagrant has no effect on whether it's charged indirectly to the HC or not.

Unles I am not reading the rule correctly or mis-administered two time incorrectly the NFHS rule for 2005/2006 read as follows below. I'm sorry i don't have the updated for this year with me.. Disqualifications to mean ejected..

Rule 10 art 8a:1 and 2

Corresponding number from each team - double flagrant fouls, all participants are disqualified, no free throws are awarded, ball is put in play at the point of interruption.
(2) Numbers of participants are not corresponding - Flagrant fouls and disqualification for all participants, two free throws are awarded for the offended team for each additional player, offended team awarded a division line throw in.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Disqualification means sent to the bench. In NFHS ball, you don't have them removed from the gym unless they continue to be disruptive after having been disqualified; and proceed with caution there. They are relegated to the bench. If they leave the gym, they must be accompanied. This, however, is a coaching decision 999 times out of 1000.

Again, where does it say flagrant fouls are, by definition, also charged to the coach? If you have two players (not bench members, but on-court players) start fighting, you don't hit their coach with an indirect.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Gee, judging by this thread, maybe the NFHS needs to define the mechanic for a flagrant. I've only had to cross and toss a player once (a summer 3 on 3 tournament where the player got through the screen by grabbing the screener and throwing them out of bounds). I've never had to toss a coach with a flagrant, but I see no problem with pointing to the showers. If you're tossing the coach, the crowd is probably a pain in the butt already so why worry about their reaction? The only coach I did run was on 2 T's and I gave him the point (yet another summer league. I know why I don't want to work them anymore).