Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Question

This Rookie still sorting it all out
On the mechanics of a jump/held ball

A) It seems no one gives the open palm before they signal a held ball. I understand the need to stop people from mugging each other- just wanted to know what is proper

B) You and partner agree to deter an OOB call when you did not see the play. Once deferred- if the second (or third offical) did not see the play we agree to go with the arrow.
Once deferred, is the proper mechanic to signal a jump/held ball. Although this doesn't seem the proper call- it does seem to add less confusion to the table, coaches etc- to insure the arrow changes after the throw-in
Stew in Virginia (CVBOA)
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
A) It seems no one gives the open palm before they signal a held ball. I understand the need to stop people from mugging each other- just wanted to know what is proper
Stew, check out the signals in the back of your rulebook. You'll notice that signal #4 is the "stop clock" signal for a held ball. There's no open palm signal (signal #2) in addition to it. When a held ball occurs, only the "thumbs up" is required.

Quote:
B) You and partner agree to defer an OOB call when you did not see the play. Once deferred- if the second (or third offical) did not see the play we agree to go with the arrow.
Once deferred, is the proper mechanic to signal a jump/held ball.
Yes. Give the held ball signal so everyone knows you're going to the arrow.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Chuck

Yes you are obsolutely correct signal #4 is for a held ball. and for a "stopped clock"
thanks
Stew
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Question huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Chuck

Yes you are obsolutely correct signal #4 is for a held ball. and for a "stopped clock"
thanks
Stew
Stew,
...Easy for you to say.
mick

Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

signal for jump ball

My assigners have asked us to use the open palm signal and then the jump ball, thumbs up signal. The rationale is that you prevent a double whistle scenario where one official has already given the jump ball signal and the other has a violation/foul.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: signal for jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
My assigners have asked us to use the open palm signal and then the jump ball, thumbs up signal. The rationale is that you prevent a double whistle scenario where one official has already given the jump ball signal and the other has a violation/foul.
We are also encouraged to do this in my area to prevent double whistle however, when there is a severe ty up I see the merits of coming in agressively w/ the thumbs up as well as yelling "jump" or something similar to that. It has an effect of relaxing the players and letting know you are there to prevent the cheap elbow etc... If you do have a double whistle and the other official is sure a foul or violation occured proir to the jump that needs to be sold. Of course you will have coaches howling about that. IMO usually I will go w/ open hand then thumbs to prevent double whistle. For me just depends on sitch... How do others work this in other areas of country???

Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Held Ball open palm (stop clock) and then jump ball for the small ty-ups. For the really big one with like more than two players or someone is on the ground Sharp long wishtel thumbs up and a frim and loud jump. usually followed by let go of the ball. For some reason I always have to tell players after I call the jump. IF YOU HEAR THE WHISTLE STOP!. LOL.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: signal for jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Quote:
We are also encouraged to do this in my area to prevent double whistle
How does the hand signal that you are using prevent double whistles???? It may keep you from having different calls, but I will have trouble believing that it will keep the other official's whistle from blowing just because you have an open palm instead of thumbs up.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: signal for jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Quote:
We are also encouraged to do this in my area to prevent double whistle
How does the hand signal that you are using prevent double whistles???? It may keep you from having different calls, but I will have trouble believing that it will keep the other official's whistle from blowing just because you have an open palm instead of thumbs up.
My fault for not being clear I meant to prevent conflicting fouls (signals) being given. Obvously this could not prevent a double whistle as one had better have blown the whistle before they have their hand up. Thanks for making me realize my error