Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
NCAAA Final

Officials:
Hess
Greene
Corbet

Someone tell Packer to shut up. Not even 3 mins in he said the first foul was ticky tack. He need to put the shirt and blow a whistle.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

1st Half Notes

Some things I noticed from the 1st half.

19:35 Oden & Horford get locked up in paint and continue all the way up the court. I'm sure the crew was probably thinking "Oh great here we go"

13:17 Great call on red player pushing white player under the basket. It was during a throw-in.

12:00 Fast transition play where red player "reaches" across body of white player but looks like zero contact and especially no disadvantage.

3:09 Oden knocks the ball away after he dunks the ball. Should have been a delay of game warning!

23.0 -> 12.3 seconds! This is the time that ran off the clock when the trail runs ahead of the ball handler and doesn't even look at him for 5 seconds (0:20 -> 0:15). What if he accidently double dribbles or something else happens (like a ten second back court violation) It serves NO purpose to run ahead of the play. I've ssen this a couple of times during the tournament.

Half Time Skit: "Hand" me the trash can so that I can puke
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Some things I noticed from the 1st half.

19:35 Oden & Horford get locked up in paint and continue all the way up the court. I'm sure the crew was probably thinking "Oh great here we go"

13:17 Great call on red player pushing white player under the basket. It was during a throw-in.

12:00 Fast transition play where red player "reaches" across body of white player but looks like zero contact and especially no disadvantage.

3:09 Oden knocks the ball away after he dunks the ball. Should have been a delay of game warning!

23.0 -> 12.3 seconds! This is the time that ran off the clock when the trail runs ahead of the ball handler and doesn't even look at him for 5 seconds (0:20 -> 0:15). What if he accidently double dribbles or something else happens (like a ten second back court violation) It serves NO purpose to run ahead of the play. I've ssen this a couple of times during the tournament.

Half Time Skit: "Hand" me the trash can so that I can puke
What a boring game... Hope the last 5 mins are better
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
What a boring game... Hope the last 5 mins are better
It was only as good as your spelling.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

2nd Half Notes:

First of all I thought overall the officials did a great job! Anything that I mention are just small observations.

17:22
Great call by Lead. I was surprised that the C did not call this.

16:27
Oden keeps pulling himself up on the rim and slapping the backcoard. This tells me to NOT call this in my college games because if they are not calling it in the Final Four or the Championship game then it must not want to be called.

15:31
Oden hits the ball AGAIN after a made basket. This NEEDS to be called for at least a warning!

14:13
Good call by C, the play opens up to him and he calls it even though it is across the paint.

12:10
Good call by Hess in C.

10:30
C drops down when the play comes to him instead of rotating up. I've noticed this a number of times in the tournament. Is this taught in some areas? I have always gone to the high side when the ball swings around.

5:15
Was the player OOB or was the timeout not granted? If he was not OOB then it should have been Florida's ball because he was not airborne when requesting a timeout.

2:31
Great call, possibly an intentional foul with the red player tripping the white player when he was shooting. (The red player was on the ground.)
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5:15
Was the player OOB or was the timeout not granted? If he was not OOB then it should have been Florida's ball because he was not airborne when requesting a timeout.
He landed OOB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Miffed!

When did calling across the lane from L or C become "en vogue"? Countless times this happened tonight...and in the whole men's tournament. It has left me baffled. If I make these calls @ camp, I'm getting my a$$ chewed...probably by the same guys who are making these calls in their tournament games!

When did the goal become: "Get 100% right not only in YOUR primary, but your partner's also."

...when it used to be: "Get 100% right in your primary, and only reach out when absolutely necessary!"

After watching the tournament, I'm pretty convinced the L is supposed to call the WHOLE lane. In fact, it's the main reason we had a blarge in the semi-final game the other night.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

how about the celebration after the game -- defintley unsportmanlike -- i think each player should have recevied a T and the gators should have lost due to forfeit. i cannot believe the officials let that slide.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Ref
When did calling across the lane from L or C become "en vogue"? Countless times this happened tonight...and in the whole men's tournament. It has left me baffled. If I make these calls @ camp, I'm getting my a$$ chewed...probably by the same guys who are making these calls in their tournament games!

When did the goal become: "Get 100% right not only in YOUR primary, but your partner's also."

...when it used to be: "Get 100% right in your primary, and only reach out when absolutely necessary!"

After watching the tournament, I'm pretty convinced the L is supposed to call the WHOLE lane. In fact, it's the main reason we had a blarge in the semi-final game the other night.
I don't agree with the Lead calling across the paint all the time. If you watch the NBA officials they hardly ever call across the paint because they are already over there.

I do agree with C making a call that he/she has the best look at. The play were the player with the ball curls towards C and away from Lead or Trail creates an alley that usually only the C can see. If C doesn't make this call then Lead or Trail are usually guessing on a reach.

Officiating is all about the angles that we can obtain in order to see and judge the plays correctly.

I was watching the Phoenix & Dallas game on Sunday and there was a rebounding play outside the paint on the block closest to the bench. The trail official that was opposite the table made the foul call because he was the only on that was not straight lined and guessing on the play. He was able to look right through the players and could determine if the push in the back warranted a foul. There are times like these, that if I was C, I would say "thanks partner" instead of "stay in your primary" like some would say.

My 2 cents
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I agree that there were too many calls across the lane in the tournament. I try to hold my whistle across the lane unless a secondary defender comes from my area and jumps in front. I know somewhere here there have been posts with statistics from the pros on how reaching across the lane leads to a lot of missed calls. I thought they did a great job last night, although I thought Oden should have been stuck a couple of times for hanging on the rim, the Florida player should have been stuck for his little shimmy dance after a dunk, and Noah very well could have been stuck for his throwing 2 hands at an official after his 3rd foul in the 1st half. I just hate seeing this stuff happen on that big of a stage because you know it is going to trickle down to us. As another member of this forum said recently (making me choke on my adult beverage, "Noah is absolutely the best women's player in the nation, hands down."
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
I don't agree with the Lead calling across the paint all the time. If you watch the NBA officials they hardly ever call across the paint because they are already over there.
I'm not talking about the NBA...I'm talking about the NCAA tournament. L has called across the lane MORE than I can EVER remember! The whole freaking lane seemed to be the L's responsibility at times...and the C was all too often not involved. What have we heard for years? "The key to a well-refereed game is having a strong C."

Quote:
I do agree with C making a call that he/she has the best look at. The play were the player with the ball curls towards C and away from Lead or Trail creates an alley that usually only the C can see. If C doesn't make this call then Lead or Trail are usually guessing on a reach.
I'm not talking about these plays. I couldn't agree more with this point.

Quote:
Officiating is all about the angles that we can obtain in order to see and judge the plays correctly.
Again, I couldn't agree MORE!

Quote:
I was watching the Phoenix & Dallas game on Sunday and there was a rebounding play outside the paint on the block closest to the bench. The trail official that was opposite the table made the foul call because he was the only on that was not straight lined and guessing on the play. He was able to look right through the players and could determine if the push in the back warranted a foul. There are times like these, that if I was C, I would say "thanks partner" instead of "stay in your primary" like some would say.

My 2 cents
Again, COULDN'T AGREE MORE...but these are NOT the kinds of plays I'm talking about.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
how about the celebration after the game -- defintley unsportmanlike --
What was unsportsmanlike? I turned the TV off right after the Florida kid threw the ball straight up in the air with about 1.5 seconds left. What happened after that?

Quote:
i think each player should have recevied a T and the gators should have lost due to forfeit.
That's a joke right? I get it. You're joking. Please tell us you're joking.

Quote:
i cannot believe the officials let that slide.
Unless what you saw happened before the clock ran out, the officials likely had their backs turned and were halfway down the tunnel.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:12am

It was a big game for these guys too, but all in all, the game was a success. I'm sure there was some gitters out there, not wanting to make a mistake, not wanting to miss an obvious foul, etc. The bottom line is the game was well played and well refereed. The players decided the game and you could barely tell the referee's where even out there. There was nothing obvious that was missed IMO although my partner didn't think they where calling enough fouls for Ohio State. I told him Florida just played like a championship team, they didn't miss very many open shots. What I like is now these guys have some big time expereince and will be more relax the next time, if they get selected again.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What was unsportsmanlike? I turned the TV off right after the Florida kid threw the ball straight up in the air with about 1.5 seconds left. What happened after that?

That's a joke right? I get it. You're joking. Please tell us you're joking.

Unless what you saw happened before the clock ran out, the officials likely had their backs turned and were halfway down the tunnel.
You didn't read his sig, did you? "in OS I trust"

Everyone who had OSU as their final pick in their bracket agrees that the game should have been forfeited to OSU.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Corbett should never officiate another big game

Corbett set the tempo for the final game and it is all but amazing that the Florida Gators were able to win this game. It is testimony to Donovan keeping his composure and his players able to step up and hit big shots when it counted down the stretch. I have TiVo and could review each call as it was made. The foul called on Horford at the beginning of the game was a "message" call. One of the worst calls in a big game I have ever seen. Corbett and crew clearly intended to protect Oden and make him a star. There was nothing any of the Florida players could do. If they touched Oden they were whistled for a foul. Even when Richards had his arm against Oden's back to keep Oden from leaning back and pushing him down under the basket Richards was whistled. Just absolutely atrocious officiating, particularly by Corbett. Just awful.
Closed Thread