Thread: NCAAA Final
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Ref
When did calling across the lane from L or C become "en vogue"? Countless times this happened tonight...and in the whole men's tournament. It has left me baffled. If I make these calls @ camp, I'm getting my a$$ chewed...probably by the same guys who are making these calls in their tournament games!

When did the goal become: "Get 100% right not only in YOUR primary, but your partner's also."

...when it used to be: "Get 100% right in your primary, and only reach out when absolutely necessary!"

After watching the tournament, I'm pretty convinced the L is supposed to call the WHOLE lane. In fact, it's the main reason we had a blarge in the semi-final game the other night.
I don't agree with the Lead calling across the paint all the time. If you watch the NBA officials they hardly ever call across the paint because they are already over there.

I do agree with C making a call that he/she has the best look at. The play were the player with the ball curls towards C and away from Lead or Trail creates an alley that usually only the C can see. If C doesn't make this call then Lead or Trail are usually guessing on a reach.

Officiating is all about the angles that we can obtain in order to see and judge the plays correctly.

I was watching the Phoenix & Dallas game on Sunday and there was a rebounding play outside the paint on the block closest to the bench. The trail official that was opposite the table made the foul call because he was the only on that was not straight lined and guessing on the play. He was able to look right through the players and could determine if the push in the back warranted a foul. There are times like these, that if I was C, I would say "thanks partner" instead of "stay in your primary" like some would say.

My 2 cents