Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What are you suggesting, exactly? What are you prepared to do to "keep the stars in the game"?

Nobody can keep stars in the game if the stars want to beat the crap out of each other. You can't ignore fouls or rough play. You can't ignore obvious contact that gives an advantage.

If there are two players in the vicinity of the foul AND you could call the foul on either one of them AND you know that one of them has 3 fouls, then I can see giving it to the other one.

But I'm not ignoring an obvious foul by the big guy just because he has 3 fouls.
Exactly.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Exactly what defensive call are you going to make?
Block! Everytime unless I got a clear offensive foul. That puts an end to it too. Remember, you only get 5 and you just pick up 2 for flopping. You be headed to the bench and I send message don't flop in my games. Flopping is okay, it's the yelling afterwards that pi$$es me off.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Block! Everytime unless I got a clear offensive foul. That puts an end to it too. Remember, you only get 5 and you just pick up 2 for flopping. You be headed to the bench and I send message don't flop in my games. Flopping is okay, it's the yelling afterwards that pi$$es me off.
Do you know what a "flop" is?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Flopping is a T or a no-call. Every time I no-called it last year, if the coach said anything it was to his player.
I walked up to one player and warned him after a particularly obvious one. I said, "I know you think we've missed some calls, but don't let me catch you flopping again."
He nodded his head, said, "OK," and didn't flop the rest of the game.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think college could go to 6 fouls because at this level we are marketing the players. More playing time might be the different in a contract to the pro's. We certainly don't want a talent like Oden having to sit the entire 1st half because of two quick fouls.
I don't call collegiate and I have great respect for those of you who do, but to a lesser extent you get the same mentality at the HS level...little Johnny needs to play the whole game so he can get a scholarship to Duke, or Kansas, or wherever. Is it possible that many have forgotten basketball is a TEAM sport?

Part of what makes basketball the great sport that it is...is the strategy involved. So Oden picks up two quick fouls and sits the rest of the first half, the TEAM and it's COACH work strategy around that issue and win the game. I wanted Ohio State to win last night and I couldn't help notice that Oden stayed in most of the first half and was looking pretty tired by half time...and they lost despite him being in the game!

I know there are those who disagree, but I think collegiate level basketball is the highest level. The NBA is all about $$ and it makes it seem more like professional wrestling to me. I'm not taking anything away from NBA athletes because there are some that are truly amazing, but I'd rather watch college ball everytime. JMO, of course!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
Part of what makes basketball the great sport that it is...is the strategy involved. So Oden picks up two quick fouls and sits the rest of the first half, the TEAM and it's COACH work strategy around that issue and win the game. I wanted Ohio State to win last night and I couldn't help notice that Oden stayed in most of the first half and was looking pretty tired by half time...
Maybe that was part of the officials' strategy to help Florida win. Keep Oden in, it'll wear him out because he's not used to playing that much.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
My reality is that I'm not calling a hand check on Maya Moore, 60 feet from the basket for a handcheck in the 4th quarter for her 5th foul. Yes it's a foul, but the crowd didn't pay their $5 or $10 dollars to see me, they came to see the players, and IMHO to put the star of game on the bench for a handcheck in the 4th game that may decide the outcome of the game just doesn't sit well with me and it probably won't sit well with my assignor as well.
That's BS - why do you care what the crowd wants? Your job is solely to manage the game and not entertain the fans. IMO, if the hand check is clearly placing the offsensive player in an disadantage, then a call must be made. ,
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who cares - and why does it piss you off? Every players are allowed to express their emotion. Why should we allow a player to yell or scream on a power dunk and not let a defensive player who "flop" scream?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Flopping is a T or a no-call. Every time I no-called it last year, if the coach said anything it was to his player.
I walked up to one player and warned him after a particularly obvious one. I said, "I know you think we've missed some calls, but don't let me catch you flopping again."
He nodded his head, said, "OK," and didn't flop the rest of the game.
He's dumb for listening to you then. Every player is entitle a spot on the court and "FaLLING on the Ground" does not justify a foul or a T. And what if the offensive player did initial the contact?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
I don't call collegiate and I have great respect for those of you who do, but to a lesser extent you get the same mentality at the HS level...little Johnny needs to play the whole game so he can get a scholarship to Duke, or Kansas, or wherever. Is it possible that many have forgotten basketball is a TEAM sport?

Part of what makes basketball the great sport that it is...is the strategy involved. So Oden picks up two quick fouls and sits the rest of the first half, the TEAM and it's COACH work strategy around that issue and win the game. I wanted Ohio State to win last night and I couldn't help notice that Oden stayed in most of the first half and was looking pretty tired by half time...and they lost despite him being in the game!

I know there are those who disagree, but I think collegiate level basketball is the highest level. The NBA is all about $$ and it makes it seem more like professional wrestling to me. I'm not taking anything away from NBA athletes because there are some that are truly amazing, but I'd rather watch college ball everytime. JMO, of course!
I agree. 6 fouls in college = higher scoring. Higher scoring = more people watching it. More people watching it = higher revunue. They are finding more opp. to make more $$$ out of the college students.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
He's dumb for listening to you then. Every player is entitle a spot on the court and "FaLLING on the Ground" does not justify a foul or a T.
Do you ever read a rule book?

You don't have a clue what a "flop" is either.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think college could go to 6 fouls because at this level we are marketing the players. More playing time might be the different in a contract to the pro's. We certainly don't want a talent like Oden having to sit the entire 1st half because of two quick fouls. Also, the game is called a little bit tighter in the NCAA then in the NBA, and when you get into the tournament, it's one and done. I think 6 fouls for college is a good idea.
Funny, I thought we, as officials at all levels of basketball, were there to enforce the rules of the game of basketball not market the players.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
He's dumb for listening to you then. Every player is entitle a spot on the court and "FaLLING on the Ground" does not justify a foul or a T. And what if the offensive player did initial the contact?
Here's a hint. Read through rule 10 where it talks about technical fouls. Flopping is a technical foul for trying to influence an officials call. It's specifically mentioned.

And if the offensive player initials the contact, I'm calling a T on him for bringing a pen onto the court.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's a hint. Read through rule 10 where it talks about technical fouls. Flopping is a technical foul for trying to influence an officials call. It's specifically mentioned.

And if the offensive player initials the contact, I'm calling a T on him for bringing a pen Sharpie onto the court.
There. I fixed it for you.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And if the offensive player initials the contact, I'm calling a T on him for bringing a pen onto the court.
That's BS too - just because a player is falling on the floor, it does not mean he/she is trying to influence a call (unless he/she screams 'FOUL' at your face). Unless the rule book define what a flop is, I don't think there's anyway a flop should be deemed a "T". What if the defensive player has poor footwork, felt on the floor but were able to distract an offensive player from scoring. How can you penalize a player for distracting a player?

IF A DEFENSIVE PLAYER IS PLAYING DEFENSIVE WITH HIS/HER HANDS UP, YOU CAN ARGUE THAT HE/SHE IS "PURPOSELY DIVERTING AN OPPIONENT'S ATTENTION BY WAVING THE HANDS NEAR THE OPPONENT'S EYES FOR EXPRESS PURPOSE OF OBSTRUCTING THE VISION SO THAT HE/SHE CANNOT SEE." If you want to play God, you can alway find an excuse to "T" someone up. But IMO some rules are just lame.
Closed Thread