Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I know what a flop is and if in case I do see a flop that's totally non-basketball move, then I will take further action. But not all flops are bad flops. Having a rule that states "flopping = T" is good to protect the refs' interest. But I'm sure most of the officials have not called it more than once or twice throughout their career.

Let me ask you this: an offensive player is making a move to the basket and scream or yell "AHHHHHHH" to try to catch the ref's attention (distort an official's mind and let him/her believe that he/she was hitted on the way to the basket). To some, the offensive player is also inducing a foul call. Should you or should you not call a "T" and penalize the offensive player who is (according to NFHS 10-4-7 f) "faking being fouled?"

In reality, all coaches and players want an extra possession or two to their favor. Basketball isn't always just black and white!!!
You're the one who said the player was stupid for listening to me because there was nothing illegal about what he was doing. Now that you've been shown to be wrong, you just dig your heels in. Brilliant!

Nearly every ref of any intelligence will deal with this privately with the player, maybe let the coach in on the secret, and then T afterwards. I've only had to get to a T once, in a YMCA game, when the kid fell backwards and yelled while the ball handler was still 2 feet away from him.

In high school, talking always works.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I know what a flop is and if in case I do see a flop that's totally non-basketball move, then I will take further action.
Wait. You just told us it's not defined so you won't call it.

You must be a troll. Not a good troll. But a troll.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I know what a flop is and if in case I do see a flop that's totally non-basketball move, then I will take further action.
May I recommend.......
Calling the flop
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You're the one who said the player was stupid for listening to me because there was nothing illegal about what he was doing. Now that you've been shown to be wrong, you just dig your heels in. Brilliant!

Nearly every ref of any intelligence will deal with this privately with the player, maybe let the coach in on the secret, and then T afterwards. I've only had to get to a T once, in a YMCA game, when the kid fell backwards and yelled while the ball handler was still 2 feet away from him.

The "T" is for falling backward or yelling?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Do you know what a "flop" is?
I hear that OS's wife calls him that on a pretty regular basis.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
I don't call collegiate and I have great respect for those of you who do, but to a lesser extent you get the same mentality at the HS level...little Johnny needs to play the whole game so he can get a scholarship to Duke, or Kansas, or wherever.
College scouts want to know that little Johnny is a player who can adjust to the officiating and who can play well without doing so illegally.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Wait. You just told us it's not defined so you won't call it.

You must be a troll. Not a good troll. But a troll.
Thanks for the comment!!!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

I agree with talking to the coaches. Talking will probably work. Thanks for your comment too!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Thanks for the comment!!!
And thanks for your hugely inconsistent trolls posts.
Closed Thread