The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1)To JR,
You have to admit that you would like to see all of those players go though. If the front office has made it such that they are stuck with them, then they have done a poor job and they are the ones who deserve firing not the manager who has to do the best he can with the players that are supplied to him.

2. No one else can afford A-rod.
1) I've never liked Mike Mussina. Pavano is gone, no matter what, but the Yanks still haveta give him his 10mil for next year. Giambi hasn't been worth a damn since they started testing him for roids, but nobody wants him at over 20mil per either. Both Rivera and Damon are plus ballplayers. Rivera is still one of the top closers in the game, and Damon could excel as a regular DH imo.

2) Wrong. Both the Angels and the Cubs will go after him if he goes on the market. And both have got the money to sign him.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
That's why I said it's up to ARod. It all depends on whether he wants to stay in NY. If he simply wants to play somewhere else, he'll opt out of the contract and probably take less to play for the Cubbies and be reunited with Lou.
Agree, except for the "taking less" part. Boras and A-Rod will never take "less", especially after the year that he just had. The Angels or the Cubbies will give him more if the Yankees won't. A-Rod always goes with the money.

Personally? I'd rather see them get rid of A-Rod and sign Mike Lowell. He's your BoSox mvp this year imo. He plays the game like he cares.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree, except for the "taking less" part. Boras and A-Rod will never take "less", especially after the year that he just had. The Angels or the Cubbies will give him more if the Yankees won't. A-Rod always goes with the money.
He gets about $26 mil this year? (Actually, I just looked it up on ESPN and they report his salary at just over $27.7 mil ) I can't see the Cubs -- and definitely not the Angels -- giving him $30 mil. And remember that ARod was willing to take less (he'd even already negotiated the deal) to come to the Red Sox in '04 before the players' union nixed the deal.

Quote:
Personally? I'd rather see them get rid of A-Rod and sign Mike Lowell. He's your BoSox mvp this year imo. He plays the game like he cares.
No argument from me. Beckett might get some consideration, but Lowell has been the guy who has produced repeatedly and consistently over the whole season. The funny thing to me is that we didn't even really want him. The Marlins made us take him as part of the Beckett deal b/c they were trying to dump salary ($9 mil.) and he'd had a sub-par season in '05 (.236 avg and OPS only .658). I hated to lose Bill Mueller, b/c I thought he was the same sort of player (without Lowell's power potential), but Lowell has been terrific over the last couple seasons, no doubt.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Uh, guys, before you get too involved in the off-season: there's still baseball being played...
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Uh, guys, before you get too involved in the off-season: there's still baseball being played...
Yup, and this year, post season ball is being played in Colorado after it's done in New York.

There is a God. With the Iowa Hawkeye football season unfolding the way it is, I was starting to wonder.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Yeah, but when Cleveland is involved, nobody gives a sh!t.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There is a God. With the Iowa Hawkeye football season unfolding the way it is, I was starting to wonder.
The Iowa Hawkeyes?

The Iowa Hawkeyes?

God is laughing his head off.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The Iowa Hawkeyes?

The Iowa Hawkeyes?

God is laughing his head off.
Chuck Long (head coach of San Diego State) comes to mind....
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
more stats for sox fans...

(sox have 75 games left, nyy has 77 left) if the sox win 10 of 15 vs TB and only go 32-28 the other 60 games, nyy would need to go 53-24 (29 games over .500) the 2nd half of the season (basically win almost 70% of their games).

obviously i'll be more comfortable 2 months from now when they still have a 10 game lead, but still....
HOW 'BOUT THOSE RED SOX!!!!!!!!!

is it me or is the air fresher today?
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:37pm
In Memoriam

Yo, Mick......

The Tigers just re-upped Pudge for next year...at 13mil. Good move on their part, methinks.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The Tigers just re-upped Pudge for next year...at 13mil. Good move on their part, methinks.
No surprise, given [my view of] the owner/management team.

Pudge didn't have a great year, but 4 years ago, or so, he changed the face of the organization. He went to a team that everyone shunned. One poor year probably due to personal issues, followed by a pennant year, followed by a yearly record attendance, happened because he dared to go.

Reward or worth, it doesn't matter, it was a good move by that team and speaks of the value the team places on its players.

Kenny Rogers, if he re-ups, ... same thing thoughts.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Kenny Rogers, if he re-ups, ... same thing thoughts.
You need at least one vet to go with the good young 'uns.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I don't remember who it was that opened a chat room for us to use during the March Madness last spring, but i'm wondering if we could do that again for the baseball games this month? I am developing an interest in baseball, especially since my 9-year-old is interested, and I"d like to hear what various people have to say about the games as they progress, and to ask questions. Besides y'all are fun to converse with, and I enjoyed a lot of the banter, too.

Thanks
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
y'all .
Juulie - please tell me you were abducted by aliens and it was an impersonator who said that. Please, please, please.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - please tell me you were abducted by aliens and it was an impersonator who said that. Please, please, please.
Hmmm. There's got to be away to spell "y'all" in metric; just to get under Padgett's skin even more.