The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess the Yankees are done too.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

The Yankees weren't suppose to loose. They were suppose to win the whole thing. The world is going to hell now.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I guess the Yankees are done too.

Peace
Whew. I spent the last 24 hours really worried.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 05:22am
In Memoriam

Best team won. If the Yankees do make a change, anybody but that dickhead LaRussa.......
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Yep, their pitching did 'em in -- along with not being able to score runs with the bases loaded. I was switching between this game and the Cowboys - Bills. At least 1 of my favorites won, even though they probably should not have. Geezzz, 5 interceptions + a fumble, and they win on a field goal with 2 seconds left! Hard to get up this morning after staying up so late.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

I see the Yankees letting go of not only Torre, but also Rivera. They are going to give the closer role to Joba and he deserves it.

Plus with all that money that they won't be using on Clemens again next year, they can go out and try to sign Santana or some other top starting pitcher. That is their biggest weakness. I think that Mussina will also depart and Pavano will be let go too.

On the hitting side, I would be surprised to see Giambi or Damon there next season.

They will keep Alex Rodriguez.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
It's Peyton.

And, even as a Pats fan, I agree that they're fantastic commercials.
CUT - THAT - MEAT!! CUT - THAT - MEAT!!
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Best team won.
Yup. That's why I was hoping the Yankees would pull it out. I'd rather face Mussina and Clemens than Sabathia and Carmona.

Quote:
If the Yankees do make a change, anybody but that dickhead LaRussa.......
We heard a lot of Torre going bye-bye last night, but what about Cashman? He put this team together, and converted the dugout to a old-folks home. Is his job in any danger? It probably should be. If it is, then your worries might be justified, JR. With Walt Jocketty on the market this winter, if George hires him, LaRussa might just tag along.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
5 interceptions + a fumble, and they win on a field goal with 2 seconds left! Hard to get up this morning after staying up so late.
Hard to win in the NFL when your offense only scores 3 points all night. Bills got 2 TDs from their defense and 1 TD from a kick return, and lost 25-24.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I see the Yankees letting go of not only Torre, but also Rivera. They are going to give the closer role to Joba and he deserves it.

Plus with all that money that they won't be using on Clemens again next year, they can go out and try to sign Santana or some other top starting pitcher. That is their biggest weakness. I think that Mussina will also depart and Pavano will be let go too.

On the hitting side, I would be surprised to see Giambi or Damon there next season.

Lah me......

Rivera isn't going anywhere. He'll sign for 2 years.

Howinthehell can anybody sign Johan Santana? He's under contract to the Twins for next year. The only way that he could go anywhere is through a trade.

And the only way that Mussina and Pavano could depart is under a trade also. They're both under contract for next year, and there's nobody stoopid enough in the Bigs to trade for either of them given the money they're making--- about 13 & 10 mil respectively. Pavano will be on the DL all of 2008 anyway. Whointhehell would want him?

Giambi and Damon are also under contract. The Yanks would love to get rid of Giambi, but they'd have to pay most of his salary to do so. Roidboy is toast anyway; he has minimal trade value. And Damon isn't going anywhere except to DH and part-time outfielder.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
If it is, then your worries might be justified, JR. With Walt Jocketty on the market this winter, if George hires him, LaRussa might just tag along.
If the Yankees sign LaRussa, then I'm going into a beisbol "time-out" until he leaves. I'll be going back to my first love- full contact synchronized swimming. It's true, it's true.......
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why does he deserve it? He only pitched 24 innings in 19 appearances in the regular season. Granted he pitched well in those outings, with a very low ERA, but that doesn't seem to be enough of a showing to know that he can handle full-time closer status for an entire season. And he only pitched 3.2 innings in the playoffs, and they weren't good. He gave up 3 hits and 3 walks and 2 earned runs.

Quote:
I believe that's entirely up to ARod. If he opts out of his current deal (which I hear is likely), then the Yankees lose a ton of money that the Rangers are still paying them to help cover the contract. That means that the Yankees would have to pony up $25-$30 million of their own money every year to re-sign ARod. It sounds crazy, but I don't think he'll stay in NY for less than his current contract. If he decides that he wants to stay in NY, then he will probably just ride out the contract he currently has. If he decides that he's had it in NY, he'll opt out and go somewhere else (probably even for less money). It will definitely be an interesting story to follow.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

To JR,
You have to admit that you would like to see all of those players go though. If the front office has made it such that they are stuck with them, then they have done a poor job and they are the ones who deserve firing not the manager who has to do the best he can with the players that are supplied to him.

To Chuck,
1. See Jonathan Paplebon. What had he done before the Red Sox gave him the closer role?

2. No one else can afford A-rod. There just isn't the kind of money out there that he wants any place else. Plus he had an excellent season, the Yankees are justified paying him to stick around and can afford to do so.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To Chuck,
1. See Jonathan Paplebon. What had he done before the Red Sox gave him the closer role?
He got thrust into the role when Keith Foulke was hurt. They tried a couple different people and Pap did the best job. But he wasn't given the job over an established closer, based only on 24 innings of work.

Quote:
2. No one else can afford A-rod. There just isn't the kind of money out there that he wants any place else. Plus he had an excellent season, the Yankees are justified paying him to stick around and can afford to do so.
That's why I said it's up to ARod. It all depends on whether he wants to stay in NY. If he simply wants to play somewhere else, he'll opt out of the contract and probably take less to play for the Cubbies and be reunited with Lou.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
2. No one else can afford A-rod. There just isn't the kind of money out there that he wants any place else.
Just gotta sell more pizzas in Detroit.
They need a shortstop cuz Guillen is moving to 1st base.