The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:00am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Seattle
NameIPHRERBBSOERA
J Weaver (L, 0-2) 610771315.75
He should have stayed put with Duncan.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Speaking of pitchers, in looking at the DL's of all the clubs, every club except 3 (White Sox, Brewers, and Giants) have at least one pitcher on the DL, most have 2 or 3, and some teams (...cough...Yankees...cough...) have as many as six pitchers on the DL.

Maybe run production will be going up this year?
I don't care what team you're a fan of, if you're a beisbol fan you gotta hope that the M's Felix Hernandez is OK. The kid is special; great to watch. He left his start last night with elbow problems.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

NO-hitter!!!!!!!!!

Chi White Sox

IPHRERBBKHRSeason ERA
M. Buehrle (W, 1-0)9.00001802.08

He just missed a perfect game by issuing one walk. He promptly picked-off the only man to reach base, and thus faced the minimum of 27 batters.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Apr 19, 2007 at 05:20am.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
NO-hitter!!!!!!!!!

Chi White Sox

IPHRERBBKHRSeason ERA
M. Buehrle (W, 1-0)9.00001802.08

He just missed a perfect game by issuing one walk. He promptly picked-off the only man to reach base, and thus faced the minimum of 27 batters.
And, as an interesting side note, the only person to reach base was Sammy Sosa, and he's the one that got picked off. Since the game was in Chicago, I wonder what kind of reaction Sammy received.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't care what team you're a fan of, if you're a beisbol fan you gotta hope that the M's Felix Hernandez is OK. The kid is special; great to watch. He left his start last night with elbow problems.
I had not heard that - that's too bad. You're right though, it is fun to watch great players perform. I hope he's ok the rest of the season (well, at least until the Mariners/Cubs World Series...)

It does make me wonder if there really is a correaltion to the obsession with pitch counts, and all the injuries. (WARNING - The following is an Old Person Alert) Back in my day, there were many more complete games and more innings pitched, with seemingly fewer overall injuries. Now along comes Dice-K, with his pitching routine, also similarly injury-free. Is he just a freak of nature, or is it possible he represents what could happen if more pitchers followed the same routine? Are current pitchers actually being hurt by limiting their throwing, rather than the other way around?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Caption indicates Coco and Manny are celebrating Manny's HR.
Does Coco really want to be there?

Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 06:25pm
In Memoriam

Down 6-2 going into the bottom of the 9th.....

Had 'em right where we wanted 'em!
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 06:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I had not heard that - that's too bad. You're right though, it is fun to watch great players perform. I hope he's ok the rest of the season (well, at least until the Mariners/Cubs World Series...)

It does make me wonder if there really is a correaltion to the obsession with pitch counts, and all the injuries. (WARNING - The following is an Old Person Alert) Back in my day, there were many more complete games and more innings pitched, with seemingly fewer overall injuries. Now along comes Dice-K, with his pitching routine, also similarly injury-free. Is he just a freak of nature, or is it possible he represents what could happen if more pitchers followed the same routine? Are current pitchers actually being hurt by limiting their throwing, rather than the other way around?
My impression was that while Dice-K throws more innings per outing (at least he did in Japan), he is used to more rest between starts.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All's well that ends well. Better than being down 4 runs in the top of the 9th.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My impression was that while Dice-K throws more innings per outing (at least he did in Japan), he is used to more rest between starts.
If you could call it rest. It's true he went sometimes 7 days between starts, but it's the training in between starts that was impressive. I don't remember all the details, but I thought I heard he did much more than American pitchers, such as long toss at 200 - 300 feet, where US pitchers do 100 -200 feet, bullpen sessions of 100+ pitches, etc. These are all things that would get a MLB pitching coach fired these days. In fact, I believe Boston had to negotiate out some of these training items with his agent.

My point is he seems to survive/thrive under that type of training, and pitchers back before, say 1970, would laugh at a thing called a pitch count, so maybe we've gone too far in "protecting" today's pitchers? I'm just wondering if things have been dialed back so much that injuries are more likely to happen now, rather than less.

But, then again, I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So, you think A-Rod can keep doing it all weekend?

He'll need to, since it looks like the Yanks have Moe, Larry, and Curly set up in the rotation...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 04:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Looks like he is ok...it's not the Tommy Johns elbow problem...he will miss his next two starts for sure, and then they will go from there. He is fun to watch! The good news is that with Felix out for a few, Weaver will get one more additional start!!! Yippee!! He had an ERA of 42.7 (or something like that) after his first start!
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So, you think A-Rod can keep doing it all weekend?

He'll need to, since it looks like the Yanks have Moe, Larry, and Curly set up in the rotation...
M&M,
I was wondering who those guys were. Not household names in my yard.

A couple few months ago the talking heads were anticipating an MVP year for A-Rod, and he's really doing well. How can they predict something like that?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 04:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick

A couple few months ago the talking heads were anticipating an MVP year for A-Rod, and he's really doing well. How can they predict something like that?
He told them he was finally going to start playing???
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Down 6-2 going into the bottom of the 8th.....

How prognosticative of you!

Scoring SummaryNYYBOS
3rdJ Damon grounded out to shortstop, R Cano scored, M Cabrera to third.10
4thA Rodriguez homered to left.20
4thJ Varitek homered to right center, M Lowell scored.22
5thA Rodriguez homered to right center, D Jeter and B Abreu scored.52
8thJ Giambi singled to right, A Rodriguez scored.62
8thM Lowell singled to left, D Ortiz scored, M Ramirez to third.63
8thJ Varitek singled to right, M Ramirez scored, M Lowell to second.64
8thC Crisp tripled to right, M Lowell and J Varitek scored.66
8thA Cora singled to center, C Crisp scored.67