View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My impression was that while Dice-K throws more innings per outing (at least he did in Japan), he is used to more rest between starts.
If you could call it rest. It's true he went sometimes 7 days between starts, but it's the training in between starts that was impressive. I don't remember all the details, but I thought I heard he did much more than American pitchers, such as long toss at 200 - 300 feet, where US pitchers do 100 -200 feet, bullpen sessions of 100+ pitches, etc. These are all things that would get a MLB pitching coach fired these days. In fact, I believe Boston had to negotiate out some of these training items with his agent.

My point is he seems to survive/thrive under that type of training, and pitchers back before, say 1970, would laugh at a thing called a pitch count, so maybe we've gone too far in "protecting" today's pitchers? I'm just wondering if things have been dialed back so much that injuries are more likely to happen now, rather than less.

But, then again, I'm not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

(Used with permission.)