View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
[from the Detroit news]
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Appalachian State is not eligible to receive votes in the AP Top 25 poll because the school is not in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

This seems to be the same AP article, but there are a couple of small differences.

What a silly rule. If they are one of the top 25 teams in the country, then who cares what division they play in?

BTW, this must be a new rule as I know of several teams in years past that earned a top 25 ranking while playing at the 1-AA level.
At least one group has come to their senses and corrected an injustice.

Sep 6, 2007 3:24 pm US/Pacific
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_249183200.html
App. State Eligible For Div. 1 AP Top 25 Poll

(AP) After pulling off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, Appalachian State is still shaking things up.

The Associated Press said Thursday that lower-division schools -- that means you, Mountaineers -- are now eligible for its 71-year-old poll.

"It's great they opened the door," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "Certainly we're not going to be the No. 1 team in the country.

We know that. We're not even going to be in the top 10.

But if you have a win over a nice football team, I like that it's not out of the realm of possibility for a school like us to be
one of the top 20 or 25 teams in the country."

Several AP voters expressed interest in putting Appalachian State on their ballots after a shocking 34-32 upset at then-No. 5 Michigan last weekend.

But the poll guidelines, which mirrored the coaches' rankings conducted by USA Today, limited eligibility to teams competing in the former NCAA Division I-A, now known as the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Mountaineers compete in the Football Championship Subdivision, known before this season as Division I-AA.

The AP decided to make the change because schools that show they can compete with big-time teams on the field should have a chance to be recognized with them in the top 25, Sports Editor Terry Taylor said.