The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
Geeze, you finally get a good pitching job, and out of your prize rookie too, and he DL's himself for 4-6 weeks.
Welcome to my world.
Does this mean the Yankees are the new Cubbies?!?!?! No World Series wins for another 100 years?!?!?! Woo-hoo!! I can't wait to see Brian Cashman sacrificing a goat at home plate of Yankee Stadium. The mind boggles! Almost takes the sting out of Papelbon blowing his first save of the season last night.

Forgot to mention this, but did anybody see that Pujols walked on three pitches in the top of the 6th of Monday night's game against the Brewers? Ball three and he trots down to first and nobody said anything. Didn't matter, as the next guy grounded into a double play to end the inning. But I wonder what kind of grief the umpire crew got for that.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Welcome to my world.
Yabut......you deserve it.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Forgot to mention this, but did anybody see that Pujols walked on three pitches in the top of the 6th of Monday night's game against the Brewers? Ball three and he trots down to first and nobody said anything. Didn't matter, as the next guy grounded into a double play to end the inning. But I wonder what kind of grief the umpire crew got for that.
I was watching that game and saw when they went through the pitch-by-pitch, but I could've sworn they skipped a pitch when they counted the three balls. I was doing something else at the time, so I wasn't paying real close attention, but I remember wondering what the big deal was at the time. Have you seen any article or mention about it anywhere?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut......you deserve it.
And you don't, Mr. Personalized Handbasket??

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I asked that question over on the beisbol forum yesterday in a kind of tangential thread that is running over there. The crew missed the 3-ball walk, but apparently nothing can be done about it after the next pitch.

The thread over there is about the protest from the Cleveland/Milwaukee game on Monday night. There should have been a run scored on a timing play, but the home plate umpire screwed up the call. Apparently, the crew chief sent one of his crew members in later to actually check the rule book, confirmed that they screwed it up, and then put the run on the board three innings later. The debate is whether they can do that or not. I'll go find a link to that thread and come back and put it on here.

Unusual occurence in April 28th Baltimore-Cleveland game

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed May 02, 2007 at 09:39am.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was watching that game and saw when they went through the pitch-by-pitch, but I could've sworn they skipped a pitch when they counted the three balls. I was doing something else at the time, so I wasn't paying real close attention, but I remember wondering what the big deal was at the time. Have you seen any article or mention about it anywhere?
There was a mention of it in an AP report of the game, but because there was no protest and the play was meaningless to the outcome, it was pretty-much a non-story.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And you don't, Mr. Personalized Handbasket??
Well, at least you didn't yell at me this time and make me cry.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I asked that question over on the beisbol forum yesterday in a kind of tangential thread that is running over there. The crew missed the 3-ball walk, but apparently nothing can be done about it after the next pitch.

The thread over there is about the protest from the Cleveland/Milwaukee game on Monday night. There should have been a run scored on a timing play, but the home plate umpire screwed up the call. Apparently, the crew chief sent one of his crew members in later to actually check the rule book, confirmed that they screwed it up, and then put the run on the board three innings later. The debate is whether they can do that or not. I'll go find a link to that thread and come back and put it on here.

Unusual occurence in April 28th Baltimore-Cleveland game
The incident was actually during a Cleveland-Baltimore game, and I believe it occurred on Saturday.

Either way, MLB issued a ruling today that the protest would not be upheld.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
There was a mention of it in an AP report of the game, but because there was no protest and the play was meaningless to the outcome, it was pretty-much a non-story.
SportsCenter also played the at bat pitch by pitch and counted the balls and strikes. I believe that he fouled off two pitches and that is probably where the confusion came in. There is no doubt that only three balls were thrown. Funny that not even the pitcher objected!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Meaningless MLB factoid for Chuck.

Braves rookie catcher, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, will make his major league debut tonight against the Phillies.

So what's the big news?

His 14 letter last name is the longest surname in the history of MLB!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Does this mean the Yankees are the new Cubbies?!?!?! No World Series wins for another 100 years?!?!?!
By nature Yankees fans are optimists. Given their history what else would you expect?

So, to answer your question: no,

We're optimistic that we won't fall to the level of the Cubs.

We're hoping to pull out of it by the time we reach Red Sox territory (8th circle for you Dante fans out there).
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know the formula for who plays whom in the interleague games this year?

I know that from 1997 to 2001 it was done by the division (AL East played NL East, AL West vs. NL West, etc.), but now the teams play opponents from various divisions. So does anyone know exactly how the schedule is done?
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Does anyone know the formula for who plays whom in the interleague games this year?
AL East is playing NL West; AL Central is playing NL Central; AL West is playing NL East.

Red Sox also play Atlanta, as their "traditional rival".
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Red Sox also play Atlanta, as their "traditional rival".
Atlanta Braves formerly the Milwaukee Braves formerly the Boston Braves.........

The Braves and the Cubs are the the only two charter members of the original National League remaining. I'd say that's tradition.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, at least you didn't yell at me this time and make me cry.
Here:

(Used with permission.)