The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yo, Mick.......

Did you catch Sheffield last night? He got thrown out for throwing a bat stub at the plate ump.

[Sheff actually looked back at the ump when he threw the broken bat stub. Methinks he could be sitting out a game or two for this one.
I was watching the game when it happened, seemed like he said something that the plate ump overheard. Sheff just looked frustrated after the broken bat pop and the stub throw was just in anger. It did not seem directed toward any player. What was more fun was watching Pudge try to keep him from attacking said ump. Likely one of the few people who could hold him back.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 08:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
It did not seem directed toward any player.
He got thrown out for directing it at the umpire. From the film clip and the way he looked back at the ump while throwing it, that appeared like a logical conclusion to me.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 09:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yo, Mick.......

Did you catch Sheffield last night? He got thrown out for throwing a bat stub at the plate ump.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...14/1048/SPORTS

I found the video over on ESPN. I couldn't figure out how to link directly; on the videos on the right, go to MLB and the Tiger highlights are on page 2.
http://espn.go.com
Sheff actually looked back at the ump when he threw the broken bat stub. Methinks he could be sitting out a game or two for this one.
+

I finally got a look at it near the 15 minute mark on Sportcenter.
Only saw it once, but I thought he threw it to his right and he may have possibly noticed that it bounced, which caused him to follow the bounce with his eyes toward the ump.
Sheffield jogged off toward the dugout and then got tossed.
I think the handle took a bad bounce, and though it didn't look to me as being intentionally directed, I think the ump had to toss him, accident or not.

Tit-fot-tat. Player throws something, then ump gets to throw something.

Sheffields' body language moving toward the dugout, like McDyess, just standing around, didn't show me anything seriously malicious.
Umps and Officials had to make both ejections.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yo, Mick.......

...Methinks he could be sitting out a game or two for this one.
or even three!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Detroit designated hitter Gary Sheffield and San Diego catcher Josh Bard were suspended for three games each by the commissioner's office Friday for confrontations with umpires the previous night.
Both players filed appeals, meaning they cannot be penalized until after hearings and decisions on the appeals.
Sheffield was penalized for "aggressive actions directed at umpire Greg Gibson" at Cleveland, according to Bob Watson, baseball's vice president for discipline. Gibson ejected Sheffield in the fifth inning after the slugger argued a strike call, then broke his bat on a groundout and threw away the piece of wood still in his hands.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
or even three!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Detroit designated hitter Gary Sheffield and San Diego catcher Josh Bard were suspended for three games each by the commissioner's office Friday for confrontations with umpires the previous night.
Both players filed appeals, meaning they cannot be penalized until after hearings and decisions on the appeals.
Sheffield was penalized for "aggressive actions directed at umpire Greg Gibson" at Cleveland, according to Bob Watson, baseball's vice president for discipline. Gibson ejected Sheffield in the fifth inning after the slugger argued a strike call, then broke his bat on a groundout and threw away the piece of wood still in his hands.
If Sheffield gets three games, I'll be surprised.
By the way, he has already struck out tiwce tonight.
[Ooh, C-Mo just jacked one. !]
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:44pm
In Memoriam

Further to the above, after viewing the replays, San Diego and Bard admitted that the umpires made the correct call in reversing the home run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270531123
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:49pm
In Memoriam

Here's another good one from today for all the Cubbies' fans.....

Click on the video on the right of this link and watch Carlos Zambrano pick a fight in the dugout with his own catcher, Michael Barrett.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270601116

Zambrano busted up Barrett so badly that he had to be hospitalized.

Lou Piniella has to be wondering whatinthehell he's got himself into......
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2890628

Hell - even Torre says that what A-Rod did was crud.

Methinks A-Rod might be wearing a thicker helmet during his first AB on July 16.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2890628

Hell - even Torre says that what A-Rod did was crud.

Methinks A-Rod might be wearing a thicker helmet during his first AB on July 16.
Interesting. Wonder how long until Torre says it would have been better if Whitey Ford never scuffed the ball, Reggie Jackson didn't hip check Bill Russell's throw into right field and Jason Giambi never injected those illegal drugs into himself. Might be nice if he gave his opinion of Peter Rose ending Ray Fosse career too.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Interesting. Wonder how long until Torre says it would have been better if Whitey Ford never scuffed the ball, Reggie Jackson didn't hip check Bill Russell's throw into right field and Jason Giambi never injected those illegal drugs into himself. Might be nice if he gave his opinion of Peter Rose ending Ray Fosse career too.
Or his sports betting habits.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Shef's latest excuse

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

"Last time I checked, I paid for the bat, I can throw it any way I want. How should I throw it?"

Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 08:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

"Last time I checked, I paid for the bat, I can throw it any way I want. How should I throw it?"

I can't wait to hear about the great MLB conspiracy that he's gonna expose.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The Yankees just own Wakefield. He's 0-3 against them this year and he's something like 1-9 in his last 10 starts against them. (And before Dan mentions it, how could anybody forget Aaron Dextering Boone?) Wake started off strong, but the knuckler hasn't been as effective recently.

The next couple should be fun.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The Yankees just own Wakefield. He's 0-3 against them this year and he's something like 1-9 in his last 10 starts against them. (And before Dan mentions it, how could anybody forget Aaron Dextering Boone?) Wake started off strong, but the knuckler hasn't been as effective recently.

The next couple should be fun.
Hey - I'm okay with my name being used as a stand-in, but not for the likes of Aaron --- Boone and Bucky --- Dent!!!
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't wait to hear about the great MLB conspiracy that he's gonna expose.
Bud Selig is a robot controlled by Martians?