The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform Technical Foul

I was under the impression that you may not remove your jersey at any time during a game. No matter whether you are participating, on the bench, or fouled out. Someone please enlighten me, I have always understood that removing your jersey was a technical foul.

Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKGB
I was under the impression that you may not remove your jersey at any time during a game. No matter whether you are participating, on the bench, or fouled out. Someone please enlighten me, I have always understood that removing your jersey was a technical foul.

Thanks in advance.
Correct, under high school rules, if the jersey is removed within the visual confines of the playing area.

Not correct for other rulesets, including NCAA Mens. If you're thinking of the Memphis player that fouled out tonight, that's legal.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. I think that it was out of line and there should be definative uniform rules. Things are getting out of hand at the college level.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I think that it was out of line and there should be definative uniform rules. Things are getting out of hand at the college level.
Johnny, there are definitive NCAA Mens rules. And the players are following them.

I'd hardly call a player taking his shirt off on the bench after fouling out, and then sitting there in an UnderArmour teeshirt something that was "getting out of hand". Iow, no big deal imo.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Not correct for other rulesets, including NCAA Mens. If you're thinking of the Memphis player that fouled out tonight, that's legal.
Thanks, I wondered about that, too.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had no interest either way in the game. I just dont understand why he was the only TEAM member that felt he needed to remove his jersey after fouling out. It is a team sport, so why the need to be an individual?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had no interest either way in the game. I just dont understand why he was the only TEAM member that felt he needed to remove his jersey after fouling out. It is a team sport, so why the need to be an individual?
So should a basket only count if all 5 players release it at the same time?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
So should a basket only count if all 5 players release it at the same time?
That would be a 15 point play if it was a 3-pointer!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Correct, under high school rules, if the jersey is removed within the visual confines of the playing area.
I guess an official would have to observe a HS player remove his jersey? If A6 fouls out, then is observed w/o his/her jersey at the next TO, do you have to have definite knowledge that it was removed w/in the visual confines of the playing area?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Certainly a different way to look at it. But no matter what the reply is, it's bad behavior that with only escalate when it is not checked. If you over look the small stuff, all of a sudden your dealing with bigger issues.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
I guess an official would have to observe a HS player remove his jersey? If A6 fouls out, then is observed w/o his/her jersey at the next TO, do you have to have definite knowledge that it was removed w/in the visual confines of the playing area?
You guess wrong.

When in doubt, read the rule book. It's kind of amazing what you can find in them.

The answer to the above is in POE 1A on last year's NFHS rulebook. That states "The committee expects jerseys to be worn properly and remain on".
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's a coaching issue/question. Ask his coach why he puts up with it.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct. I am satisfied. Thabks all for the input.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 11:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
That would be a 15 point play if it was a 3-pointer!
And how many possible points if all five were the victims of five multiple fouls each at exactly the same time?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Certainly a different way to look at it. But no matter what the reply is, it's bad behavior that with only escalate when it is not checked. If you over look the small stuff, all of a sudden your dealing with bigger issues.
Not necessarily true. It seems to be a truism, but I don't think it's always quite this clearcut. Sometimes ignoring, or not making an issue of, something bad can be the best way to bring it to an end.