The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Recreation League - 7/8 year old boys.

I've had these teams several times this season - it's a jrNBA league, so they take the names and logos of professional teams and use them. #5 of the Lakers had shown horrible sportsmanship the past few weeks which included spiking the ball, trash-talking, disrespectfully adressing an official, amongst others, but they just hadn't been penalized.

During this game, #5 had already spiked the ball in which I gave him a stern warning NOT to do anything unsporting again. About half-way through the 3rd quarter, I'm lead official, and #5 is dribbling the ball down. Because of contact (couldn't make call due to not being able to see exactly what happened), #5 and another player of the opposite team crash to the floor about 5 feet from the top of the 3 point line. He then threatens the opposing player by saying "You'd BETTER quit it." I then blow my whistle and and give him a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.

A few plays later, I called him over and I explained to him why I made that call and that he was too good of a basketball player to be saying stuff like that, and that he doesn't need to let that happen again. During a time-out, I also explained to the coach of his team.

It's not any fun calling those. I actually felt bad at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was the right call to make. What's your opinion?
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
Recreation League - 7/8 year old boys.

Why did you wait so long? He is acting this way because no one has corrected him before. You should have stuck him when he spiked the ball. Seven or eight years old makes no difference.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Only thing I can see wrong is perhaps it could have come a bit sooner. If this player or other players had showed this kind of conduct before, you could have warned the coaches in pregame that it would no longer be tolerated. Then, at the first spike of the ball, T, no warning required. If the kids are old enough to play, they are old enough to learn how to conduct themselves on the court.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'll agree with you - my excuse is that I'm a first year official and I had to gain the nerve to do it. The coach came by inbetween quarters and told me that kid also got kicked out of the soccer league (the only kid, too, haha).

I'm just one of those rookies that thinks I need to take the crap from the players - up until now, anyway. I looked in the stands and his mother was crying! I couldn't believe it!
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Hey Matthew! Fellow jr.NBA ref- i was begging to think I was a lone soilder out here. I'm guessing your in texas too? If so dang the only with missing is the same name. Hahaha

Yeah... I found here in my leaguge that I call the parents/coaches behave worst than the players. The players just wanna play. They dont give a rats butt about half the stuff the parents and coaches do. At age 7 he needs to start being taught. I wish the guys in my league that call alot of the 5, 6, 7 and 7-9 girls (all cross court games in my league) would crack down. It's gunna be hard from some of the players when they move up to the full-court games which I primarily call. Wanna talk off board sometime? drop me an email and we'll exchange SN's or something. Something you need to learn (something that I learned myself) have a MUCH shorter rope for players than you do for coaches and never show emotion. I got alot of respect from taking crap from coaches 3 times my age and never being intimidated. When you get the coaches respect u get the players and then the parents. Before you long you dont feel like you have to run for your car after your last game.

Contact me off board we'll share some war stories. Its hard to beat some of these high school/college war stories with rec ball LOL
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey John!

Nope, I'm from North Carolina, although I am originally from Texas.

The coaches really aren't that bad in this league. There is one coach that's a bit of an ***, but that's it.

The players are more unsporting than the parents, definately, in this division, ESPECIALLY this one team. It's ironic that you mention not to put any emotion into it - I guess being my first technical foul, I put a LOT of emotion into it. I blew the whistle, threw my hand up, did a quick "bang" of the hands to form a "T", than I raise my voice to say "That's a technical foul!"

The whole gym fell silent when I said that. I heard a lot of "What did he do?!" - but I didn't get any grief from the coach.

It's just awkward for me because I'm still only 15, but I'm handeling it really well. I don't give anybody what they want, and I'm not afraid (anymore, anyway) to assess a technical when one is due. I was also a bit shaky about calling a player-control, but that's just like another foul anymore.

I've done mainly the smaller kids division (though I go up to 14+ as well) - and EVERYTHING you see, you're thinking "Should I call that? Should I call this?" The level of play is so....well, bad, that you don't know what to call. It can be pretty frusterating.

If you want to e-mail, feel free. My e-mail address is [email protected]

I look forward to talking to you more!
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Yeah little kids are definitly umm hard! we have a wierd
5 yr old (co-ed)
6 yr old (co-ed)
7 yr old (boys)
7-9 yr old (girls)
^^^^---crosscourt---^^^^
8-9 yr old (boys)
10-11 yr old (boys)
12-15 yr old (boys)
10-13 yr old (girls)

Now what was wierd for me. I walked in the cirlce for a 12-15 game. I looked UP at the players and said u ready? and then one of them was like "Dont you ride my bus" and iwas like yeah but dont expect anything from me" and threw it up...

My first tech was a little emotional. I'll admit... And yeah. EVERYONE had the same reaction. After I call a tech I dont say anything. I motion for my partner to meet me half way. And I tell him what happened, get a shooter, and get ready to shoot. I then turn around and report the tech. Approach the coach and tell him what happened and why I gave it if its not obvious atleats or if he says i didnt warn him (shouldnt have to in my book but its rec ball - atleast thats what my comish tells me) and then go clear everyone out and assit my paretner in the free throws. The biggest mistake I ever made was kinna getting verbal with a coach - Kinna baiting him and then whacked him. I know what i should have said and what I should I havnt said. he prolly woulda still got the T though.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
#5 of the Lakers had shown horrible sportsmanship the past few weeks which included spiking the ball, trash-talking, disrespectfully adressing an official, amongst others, but they just hadn't been penalized.
Somebody shoulda whacked this kid long ago....

or given him a "T"
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace

My first tech was a little emotional. I'll admit... And yeah. EVERYONE had the same reaction. After I call a tech I dont say anything. I motion for my partner to meet me half way. And I tell him what happened, get a shooter, and get ready to shoot. I then turn around and report the tech. Approach the coach and tell him what happened and why I gave it if its not obvious atleats or if he says i didnt warn him (shouldnt have to in my book but its rec ball - atleast thats what my comish tells me) and then go clear everyone out and assit my paretner in the free throws. The biggest mistake I ever made was kinna getting verbal with a coach - Kinna baiting him and then whacked him. I know what i should have said and what I should I havnt said. he prolly woulda still got the T though.
You did fine until you talked to the coach. Report the T from the back of the reporting box/reporting area. If you don’t have an “Officials Manual” the top is an imaginary line running from the top center of one key through the center circle to the top center of the other key. )—O—(

You told your partner what happened, let him/her go to the table and make sure the T is recorded correctly as a T, a personal, and a team. This way the coach does not have THE target (you) to vent to. Your partner can tell him what happened and walk away. We all feel a need to defend our calls at times but since your partner did not call it he has nothing to defend. While this is going on ask the other coach who the shooter is and get him/her to the line ASAP. The faster you get things rolling the less chance there is of a problem.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

#5 for the Lakers???

What in the world is Robert Horry doing playing in a 7th/8th grade game? ;P
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Well, he is having an off year.

It's a cruel business, you know...

Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Somebody shoulda whacked this kid long ago....

or given him a "T"
Or both!