The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

A&M/Memphis finish

Question for NCAA guys:

When considering that replay, were the officials measuring from first touch to the ball touching out of bounds (probably about a second), or from first touch to the whistle (probably less)? I don't know the rule for the replay.

Of course, the postgame show has just started, and it'll all be about the officials. (But Greg Gumbel at least noted that the ball bounced on the court. First guy to point that out.)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to see what the ball hitting the floor has to do with this...The clock wouldn't start until the ball is touched, right? I only had a chance to see one replay and didn't see a way it could have been touched until the Memphis player touched it right before it went out. But like I said, I could be missing something here...
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Are officials able to use replay to correct their own mistake? If the hand went up and the whistle blew early then the clock should stop right there. If the whistle didn't blow, then they were correct in waiting until the ball touched out of bounds. So, basically I don't know! I'm waiting to hear what more informed people think.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

They got it right!

I was watching it intently wondering why it was taking so long. Immediately, I thought "take .2 or .3" off the clock - which was at 3.1 - and let's get it going. Again, when the two (I don't know their names) took a while, I began to wonder what was going on. I even saw the older official on the right (crouching on one knee) holding a stopwatch.

Anyway, Greg Gumbel called it right on the CBS postgame show. The Memphis defender deflected the ball, the ball bounced just inside the sideline, and went toward press row where a suit/tie caught it. It, literally, bounced on the floor, went high in the air, and then it was caught... then, I assume, a whistle, which would have signified a dead ball.

I liked taking 1.1 seconds off for I feel it was an appropriate estimate on the time that should have come off from when the Memphis defender touched the ball (start the clock) to the time the suit/tie caught the ball (whistle; stop the clock). How come no one brought up the fact the time didn't do his/her job!? Whew!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingRefGuy
Question for NCAA guys:

When considering that replay, were the officials measuring from first touch to the ball touching out of bounds (probably about a second), or from first touch to the whistle (probably less)? I don't know the rule for the replay.
The rule is from the first legal touch on the court until the ball then touches something out of bounds. Same rule as high school rules.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see the Texas A&M player grab the pass, jump in the air and then start his dribble? Happened with 1:16 left in the 2nd half. Should have been a travel.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSide
I was watching it intently wondering why it was taking so long. Immediately, I thought "take .2 or .3" off the clock - which was at 3.1 - and let's get it going. Again, when the two (I don't know their names) took a while, I began to wonder what was going on. I even saw the older official on the right (crouching on one knee) holding a stopwatch.

Anyway, Greg Gumbel called it right on the CBS postgame show. The Memphis defender deflected the ball, the ball bounced just inside the sideline, and went toward press row where a suit/tie caught it. It, literally, bounced on the floor, went high in the air, and then it was caught... then, I assume, a whistle, which would have signified a dead ball.

I liked taking 1.1 seconds off for I feel it was an appropriate estimate on the time that should have come off from when the Memphis defender touched the ball (start the clock) to the time the suit/tie caught the ball (whistle; stop the clock). How come no one brought up the fact the time didn't do his/her job!? Whew!
The problem is the T blew his whistle prior to the ball touching out of bounds. So the question becomes, is the clock reset to when the whistle blew or when the ball touched OB.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
The problem is the T blew his whistle prior to the ball touching out of bounds. So the question becomes, is the clock reset to when the whistle blew or when the ball touched OB.
And the answer is when the ball touches OOB. The whistle isn't relevant when the clock was never started at all.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And the answer is when the ball touches OOB. The whistle isn't relevant when the clock was never started at all.
Well, let me ask this theoretical question. What would happen if the T admitted he called the ball OB on the bounce (ie the bounce hit the line) after the legal touch IB, then the R reviewed the play and said, oh no, the ball did not go OB by hitting the line, it went OB when it touched the first media row. What should they do?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Huh? What backs up your statement - ball is dead when whistled dead... T whistled and indicated A&M ball before OOB actually happened.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Huh? What backs up your statement - ball is dead when whistled dead... T whistled and indicated A&M ball before OOB actually happened.
We are back to your original question and no one, yet, has an answer.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Bad call

As soon as I saw them taking so long looking at the monitor & saw the R with a stop watch I knew they were going to do what they did, I was just hoping they didn't. It was a very bad move by the R for several reasons. I know people are going to defend him but it was a BAD call to take away the 1.1 instead of maybe .2 or 3. First the T blew the whistle & pointed at the line saying he had the ball touched & then hitting the line making it out of bounds. You can see him pointing at the ground clear as day. Next just like in football you need a angle that is looking straight down the line to say for sure the ball did or did not hit the line. I watched the game on a 61 HDTV DVR played it over & over frame by frame & would not put my life on it that the ball hit inbounds. Take .2 off & know one on either team is going to say a word about it.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Sigh....

You really need to learn some basics, jk. See NFHS fundamental #16 on p74 of the FED rule book. That holds true for NCAA games too. Again, the whistle is completely irrelevant on plays when the clock NEVER started and a timing adjustment needs to be made. The officials need definite information as to how much time should be taken off, and when the whistle blew has got nothing to do with establishing that definite information. The actual time that elapsed between a legal touch in-bounds until the ball touched OOB is definite information.

And how do you know that the T was indicating A&M ball? I though that the trail was pointing at the last-touch. The crew was doing that the whole game.

Do you really think that the people officiating at that level, including the fourth official sitting at the table, don't know whatintheheck they're doing?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
We are back to your original question and no one, yet, has an answer.
I'll certainly defer to other officials, given my relative lack of experience, but I'm certain it has been drilled over and over on this forum that the whistle causes the ball to be dead. I'm surprised the official signaled and whistled so early, but there were clearly, imo, timer and official errors on that play. How do you ignore the official's clear signal? What rule backs up ignoring the official's whistle/signal?
My brother's an Aggie, but I love him anyway!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jinx
As soon as I saw them taking so long looking at the monitor & saw the R with a stop watch I knew they were going to do what they did, I was just hoping they didn't. It was a very bad move by the R for several reasons. I know people are going to defend him but it was a BAD call to take away the 1.1 instead of maybe .2 or 3. First the T blew the whistle & pointed at the line saying he had the ball touched & then hitting the line making it out of bounds. You can see him pointing at the ground clear as day. Next just like in football you need a angle that is looking straight down the line to say for sure the ball did or did not hit the line. I watched the game on a 61 HDTV DVR played it over & over frame by frame & would not put my life on it that the ball hit inbounds. Take .2 off & know one on either team is going to say a word about it.
Sigh....

Another fanboy with a 61" tv sitting on his fat butt in his la-z-boy that thinks he knows more that 4 of the best officials in the country. That's four officials who have a monitor and instant replay too.

Every year......

Yes, coach. The mean ol' officials screwed your team. They did it deliberately too. Happy now?