The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Memphis and Gonzaga blarge

I was watching this game today, and they had a classic blarge. A1 driving the lane with his shoulder lowered, B1 sliding late to keep up when contact is made. Coming from T towards C through the paint, and C comes out hard with a PC right away. Then, you see L on the corner of the screen finishing his block signal.
They went with the double foul, and apparently went with the arrow. I'm pretty sure A1 didn't shoot. Does NCAA go with the arrow on a double personal, or do they go POI?
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I was watching this game today, and they had a classic blarge. A1 driving the lane with his shoulder lowered, B1 sliding late to keep up when contact is made. Coming from T towards C through the paint, and C comes out hard with a PC right away. Then, you see L on the corner of the screen finishing his block signal.
They went with the double foul, and apparently went with the arrow. I'm pretty sure A1 didn't shoot. Does NCAA go with the arrow on a double personal, or do they go POI?
If you listened to the announcers they went to the arrow. I am not sure that is what they actually did. NCAA rules would go to POI on this type of play. I cannot remember if they gave the ball back to Gonzaga who had control at the time of the foul.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I remember Memphis got the ball afterwards. You're right, the announcers said they went with the arrow, and the only reason I believed them was because Memphis got the ball. I couldn't think of any other reason for Memphis to get it. I don't think there was a shot, but I couldn't verify that for certain.
It might just be a small mistake by the crew, or it might not. I was just wondering.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Same game, approximately midway through the first half, memphis took a shot that rebounded to the left toward the corner. Memphis player went to save the ball and heaved it into the backcourt, where a teammate recovered it. It was a one handed effort on the part of the heaver, but I was thinking it should have been a BC violation. As did the Zags coach. Anyone else see this play and have an opinion on it?
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Tapping the ball and control are two different things. This was after a shot according to your description. I might have passed on this as well. I did not see the play so it is really hard to say.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 08:52am
Huck Finn

Sounds like a judgement call to determine if it was a tap or the player had control.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Tapping the ball and control are two different things. This was after a shot according to your description. I might have passed on this as well. I did not see the play so it is really hard to say.

Peace
I understand the difference between tapping and control. This was not just a regular old tap where a bunch of guys were trying to tap the rebound to a teammate. This guy was all alone, saving the ball from going OOB, and it looked like he just threw the thing into the BC. He did appear to have control prior to heaving it into the backcourt. I was just curious if anyone else saw it and thought the same thing.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I understand the difference between tapping and control. This was not just a regular old tap where a bunch of guys were trying to tap the rebound to a teammate. This guy was all alone, saving the ball from going OOB, and it looked like he just threw the thing into the BC. He did appear to have control prior to heaving it into the backcourt. I was just curious if anyone else saw it and thought the same thing.
Still a judgment call. I did not see the play so all I can say it the officials on the game must have felt he did not display control. Also this is not something you want to be a maverick about if all the player did was flick the ball onto the court.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Still a judgment call. I did not see the play so all I can say it the officials on the game must have felt he did not display control. Also this is not something you want to be a maverick about if all the player did was flick the ball onto the court.

Peace
This was not just a mere flick. This was practically from the corner and he leaped, and heaved the ball as he was looking back down the court the other way for a teammate, who just happened to be in the backcourt.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

The officials on the game must did not agree.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I guess so.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Same gameNevada/Northern Iowa game, approximately midway through the first half, memphis Northern Iowa took a shot that rebounded to the left toward the corner. Memphis Northern Iowa player went to save the ball and heaved it into the backcourt, where a teammate recovered it. It was a one handed effort on the part of the heaver, but I was thinking it should have been a BC violation. As did the ZagsNevada coach. Anyone else see this play and have an opinion on it?
(I fixed your post for you. Those two games were played at about the same time on this past Saturday. I was flipping the channel back and forth between them. )

It was a missed BC violation.